Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Joined This Forum Because....

I joined this forum as a pre-op patient seeking answers to my questions regarding the VSG procedure, complications, life after, advantages/disadvantages, etc.

After reading some of the posts I am scared to death! Some of the side affects of the surgery (hair loss, etc.) concern me. I know I need to lose the weight and get healthy but at what cost will the surgery bring me? I am afraid that I would fail, I am afraid I would have serious complications, I am afraid of having 85% of a major body part removed and what if I need it?

I know that overeating and living the lifestyle I do has got me to this point, but I am scared I will miss food, I am afraid I could regret it.

I am so VERY VERY scared. Am I just not ready to have this surgery performed b/c I am so shocked by the things I have read? Does everybody stress this bad considering having this done?

Somebody, anybody convince me that this is the right thing to do....

Some times to get things you've never had before, you have to do things you've never done before.

I was scared too, not that I'd miss food, because my relationship with food had to change, but about death and complications. After joining this forum, I decided that the benefits outweighed those risk. Im tired of being fat, and unhealthy.

I'm 4weekss out, 29lbs down, I quit smoking for this surgery, and I feel solo much better already. My body feels good and my mind is not as dark and dank as it was pre surgery. I feel alive, ands it's only been a month.

The beginning is not easy, no one is saying that, but it does get better. You got to decide what's the end result worth to you

:)

Below in blue (warning - my space key is sticking so I may have some unintentional run-on words)

I joined this forum as a pre-op patient seeking answers to my questions regarding the VSG procedure, complications, life after, advantages/disadvantages, etc.

After reading some of the posts I am scared to death! Some of the side affects of the surgery (hair loss, etc.) concern me. Hair loss is occasionally a side effect of surgery, butnot this surgery specifically. It'sa result of the compensating your body is doing because of the extreme change in diet. It happens to just about everyone, with every WLS I've heard of. I know I need to lose the weight and get healthy but at what cost will the surgery bring me? A few months' worth of some hair falling out iswellworth health, IMO. Some cases are more extreme, but some are way less. I am afraid that I would fail, I am afraid I would have serious complications, I am afraid of having 85% of a major body part removed and what if I need it? Yup, that'spretty much what everyone worries about.

I know that overeating and living the lifestyle I do has got me to this point, but I am scared I will miss food, I am afraid I could regret it Partofthe process usually includes meeting with a psychologist to help prepare for these changes. Youwon't have to do it alone.

I am so VERY VERY scared. Am I just not ready to have this surgery performed b/c I am so shocked by the things I have read? Does everybody stress this bad considering having this done? I can't say that everyone does, but yeah, pretty much everyone. This was my 2nd WLS so my concerns were a little different (I'd already adjusted to the different role food had for me, I already knew my hair would fall out, I already made most of the behavioral changes, etc.) Revisioners probably tend to have slightly different concerns than "virgin" WLSers, but there are usually some shared concerns.

Somebody, anybody convince me that this is the right thing to do.... That's actually about the worst thing we could do, and I'd encourage people NOT to try and convince you. It really does need to be a decision you arrive at on your won with input and informatio. We can share our story and tell you it was/wasn't the right choice for us, but if the convincing doesn't come from you, your "journey" is just going to be that much harder.

Please, ask questions you have. Read everything you can find here. And free up lots & lots of time for introspection. :)

If you are that freaked out and not sure you can do it, I would definitely post-pone until you are physically, emotionally and mentally ready to handle the commitment.

Continue your research until you are sure.

Why not start working on the issues now. Sign up for myfitnesspal.com - try to stay at 800-1000 calories a day - change the settings so you are getting only 45-75 carbs a day, up your Protein to 80-90.

Drink 64 ounces of Water a day.

Try setting a goal of exercising or walking 30 minutes a day.

Chart your food.

Take a Vitamin.

Stop drinking fluids with your dinner and wait 1/2 hour after dinner before you drink.

Stop your caffeine - stop your carbonated beverages.

I was forced to do this pre-surgery during the 6 months pre-approval phase. I lost 60 pounds during this time and then I lost 10 during the 2 week pre-op shake. I thought wow, if I could lose 70 on my own, why have surgery. Well, because I want this to be my last diet. I want this to be a way of life.

The sleeve is only a tool. It's how you use it that counts. You are worried about hair loss? I have Lupus, it comes with the territory and I am blonde and I'm very very vain. You aren't going to go bald, you lose some hair...if that happens, I'll get my hair cut so it looks thicker for a while, and whatever, I'll wear hats, but I'm going to look good no matter what.

If you feel that you are worth putting 100% effort into your health for the rest of your life, then go for it, if you feel that this surgery would cause you too much stress, anxiety and affect you negatively than hold off on your decision and think about it.

If you are in a program, the surgeon isn't going to force you to have surgery, you can tell him I need another month - and continue doing your pre-approval stuff.

This is a one way ticket though, once you have the surgery there is no turning back. Go into the sleeve 100% committed and it makes recovering, the new stuff you need to learn about eating so much easier.

Best of luck to you.

I would suggest continue reading and asking questions. Some people have been in this process for years, others, like me, just had enough and are taking a leap of faith. We all have our tipping point.

Weigh the risks of continuing as you are vs. possible side effects. for me it was the future of diabetes, the fact i couldn't walk without pain, the fact i couldn't get decent health insurance due to my weight, impending high blood pressure, etc. etc. I have spent thousands on diets up to this point and all it has done was get worse. I finally saw the writing on the wall that I needed drastic help.

Hi UTGall99.

I also joined this site recently in my efforts to learn all I can before making the decision to have (or not have) weight loss surgery. Some things about the surgery do freak me out, but some things that I'm predicting for future if I don't have the surgery are just as worrisome.

So, my goal is to gather all the facts, speak to my various doctors for their opinions, learn as much as I can from those who have had the surgery, go to my hospital's information session about the surgery, and then make the best, most informed decision I can make.

Strictly my opinion, but I don't think you should do the surgery until you're absolutely sure and not afraid.

By all means, delay your surgery for a short time if you are unsure, but consider these points.

--All of us have been concerned, anxious or even scared before having the surgery. We all think about the permanent changes in diet and the loss of part of our body.

--I believe that the bad side effects discussed on this board are infrequent. People tend not to think or talk about good outcomes because there is nothing to say about them; nothing to ask about. I had no difficulty. Sure I was sore for a week and a half, but it was minimal and I didn't need pain medicine after my first day in the hospital. I've had eating challenges. At first it was hard to get in enough Protein, but I adapted to it.

--hair falling out is nothing compared to dying early due to the effects of being overweight or of not being able to do the things other people do because of weight. In addition, in my experience the Hair loss is minimal and temporary. The hair thins and then it grows in again.

For me, when I became terrified about having the surgery, I reminded myself about the reasons for having it and each time came to the conclusion that I had no choice. This was the last option for me. I had tried the others.

I made my decision and have never been sorry about it. You must make your own decision, however.

Hey UTGal99! I cannot recommend that you do or do not have the surgery, only you can make that decision. I can however share with you a little bit about the experiences I've had since I was sleeved in March '11. After I was sleeved I did develop a truck load of gallstones and had to have my gallbladder removed. Yes, it was painful, and yes it sucked to have another surgery, but it really wasn't that big of a deal for me. In the middle of all this, however, I found out I had a 8 inch tumor in my spinal cord and a somewhat rare congenital brain malformation. Thankfully, the tumor was benign, however it caused a lot of nerve damage. So, since my sleeve surgery in March '11, I've had 4 other surgeries... The gallbladder, 2 spinal related surgeries and brain surgery a little over a month ago. I tell you all of this, not to garner sympathy, or sway you in any way. I tell you this b/c I am the google queen when it comes to surgeries, diseases, conditions, etc. I've learned to take all of the " horror stories" with a grain of salt. For every bad story, there are 10 amazing ones that aren't being told. At least thats what I think. I def. think the opinions of others matter, but don't let it carry the most weight in your decision making. Oh, also, the tumor was completely unrelated to my WLS. I had been growing that bad boy for years, and I had I not had the surgery and lost a decent amount of weight, I would probably be paralyzed right now. Good luck to you!

Thank you all for your comments. I had a LONG talk with my PCP this morning and am feeling much better about considering VSG. I have to agree with my doctor - the risk of not doing anything far outweighs any risk from the surgery. Yes, there is a possibility of complications but you just roll with the punches.

I think to myself - if I had cancer, I would do what I need to do to take care of it. I have a weight problem and need to do what I need to do to take care of that too!

Looking forward to a more in depth conversation when meeting with surgeon soon.

I'm glad you feel better about your choice. All of us have gone through doubt on our way to the sleeve. In the end, we, too, decide there is no other option.