Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Massachusetts Bandsters Chat

;):help::help:Does anyone know anything about the programs at St. E's or Emerson. I am trying to decide which one to choose. My BMI is 36 but have diabetes and probably sleep apnea. Glad to see there is a thread for Mass!!

My regular doc is at Emerson but I chose to go to BIDMC just because they have been doing the surgery longer.....He spoke very highly of Emerson though..... good luck!!!!

ok all this has nothing to do with the band but about buying ahouse here in ma. has anyone heard that you can't get homeowners ins if the roof is over 25 yrs old? our home inspector says we need a new roof and when i call to get estimates for ins that;s one of the 1st ?s, is the roof ok? anyone an ins agent?

thanks

dez

Hi. I don't know the answer, but my mom is a real estate agent. She'll know. I'll ask her for you. My email is: amwlady@charter.net Just remind me to give you your answer, ok? Oh, and welcome to Massachusetts.

Dez...PM Chrispy she used to do home insurance and now she works doing it for businesses but, I'm sure she still has contacts.

Hi, I'm Becky out in Westfield. I'm the mother of 2, Granny to 1 and 1/2. (new one due in February)

I was always thin until I got married, had kids and slowed down, then the pounds slowly started packing on. For the first 7 or 8 years... then I think someone put a fat magnet on me! Or it could just be that my husband got transferred (he was in the Navy) out of State, and being a dutiful wife, I packed up the family and followed. Loving the adventure and seeing new things, learning about new places and all, but not realizing how much I would miss the old, and the family. And, how much I would eat to appease the pain of it all.

So, 30+ years later, here I am. I've finally made my GP happy and said yes to the surgery. Filled out the questionaire they send out from Baystate, talked to my insurance company, and now await the next step. I realize that the hardest part will probably be "What do I do with myself now? How will I Celebrate my successes if I can't go to Friendly's for that sundae!" Well, I'll just have to come up with other things... like, new clothes! Or, taking the family out to a local event (that doesn't focus on food!).

I am SERIOUS about doing this!

Hi Everyone,

I am brand new to the forum and am happy that I found it!!

I am 32 from W. Mass, have my first appointment scheduled with the surgeon for September 6th. I am pretty excited about it, but scared at the same time!! It sounds like most people are happy with the band, and I am ready to do this. I like many of you have been overweight all of my life and am just sick and tired of it. I had lost 30lbs at the end of last year, and here I sit with all of it back plus one! I was so disgusted with myself, and that is what helped me to make the decision that now is the time!!:whoo:

Hi Cindy

We share the same doctor - Dr. Adam Glasgow. I was banded on 7/26/07. Had an issue with solids last week - stuck - pain - xray, ct scan, and barium swallow. End result, I probably wasn't listening to my tummy well enough and either had too much, or too big of a bite. Glad I got past that with Dr. Arthur Glasgow's help because Dr. Adam was on vacation. Can you tell me do the Dr's. Glasgow do their fills using fluoroscopy or not? I'm hoping to get my first fill on 9/10 and just wondering what it's like. Both the doctors and their office staff seem very caring and accomodating so far. Please let me know about the fills if you have a few minutes.

Thanks.

Sue Magoo

banded 7/26/07

h - 324/ s - 287 - s+2 days 296 - now 271 - Yeah!

Hey Sue.

Their office staff is great, very caring, as are both the Glasgows. I have nothing but good things to say about the whole experience. I was banded May 10, and have had 3 fills (1.5cc total). For me, it's working. I just have to constantly pay attention and chew, chew, chew, and slowly at that. I've noticed I can't tolerate untoasted bread, and hamburger.

What I liked about the fills, Dr. Adam started conservatively at .7cc. He said if that was not enough, to call and come in in the next few days. I waited about 2 weeks because I was nervous and wanted to make sure. I then went in and he gave me a total of 1 cc. A few days later (and more confident now), I went in for .5 more. The scale has started to move again, so I think for now, this is fine. I'm in no hurry (well, I want the weight off yesterday, but I'll take 1 - 2 pounds a week). I'm really hoping that I won't get that really baggy skin and have to have surgery if I lose it slowly.

If you have any other questions, please just ask.

Cindy

Oh Sue,

Sorry I forgot to answer, I got carried away! The fill was not bad at all, he does it in the office. You lie on the exam table with a pillow under your back, he gives you a shot to numb the area, then fills the port. It takes less than 5 minutes. Then he walks out to the lobby with you where he makes sure you can drink some Water without any problem. And as always, he wants you to call if you have any problem whatsoever.

PS I hope you're feeling better after your "stuck" episode. Not fun. I've pb'd and slimed, but never actually gotten stuck. (thank goodness). That must have been a scary feeling.

Maybe I'll see you at the September support meeting. Have you gone to any? I've been to a couple and find them informative.

Cindy

Cindy:

I'm feeling better now. I did liquids for three days and mushies since then. I hope to try solids on Friday night.

Thanks for the update on how they do their fills.

I am planning to attend the support group on 9/25. They haven't had one since before I was banded and the last one was on my daughter's 20th birthday, so I didn't go.

I hope to see you there. Hopefully I'll be filled on 9/10. Cross fingers.

Thanks.

Sue Magoo

Hello everyone,

Hope you all have a great Labor Day Weekend. I go for my psych visit on the 6th of Sept and then hopefully to the surgeon and a surgery date!

Margie