Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Massachusetts Bandsters Chat

Hi Metalband,

I've been preparing for surgery in Oct / November...it looks more and more like it will be November. Work has been busy and it's just the way it's turning out. You are doing great with your weight loss. I am on the pre-op diet and need to lose 10lbs before surgery. I'm hoping to lose more. So far I've cut out all soda and coffee. I'm not drinking with meals, and I'm drinking a lot of Water in between them. I'm trying to keep my calories to under 2,000 a day and I'm tracking everyrthing I eat on fitday.com. I did go over on Labor day week end, but my highest daily was 2,452. I did a lot of walking, swimming, and general running after children this weekend, so I am sure I burned some of them off. According to fitday, I burn about 3,300 calories a day (without exercise) so I should be ok. Well that's it, hope everyone is doing well.

Margie

Hi to everyone. I too am in Westfield. I am going to Baystate and using Dr. Fiallo. I've just gotten my approval from the insurance company, Health New England, and my surgery date was set this morning for October 5th! I am so excited! :bounce:

Welcome Barb!

Margie....I went overboard during labor day too but we have to realize that even thin people overeat sometimes.....just not all the time! So do not be too hard on yourself....its what we do the next day that counts! Good luck with you band.....it is a process that takes work but is very rewarding!

Hello all,

I had my psychological evaluation yesterday at BIDMC. It went great! I was relieved it went so well, because I had heard some others did not have a great experience. She said she thought I was an excellent candidate for lap-band. They will meet next Thursday to discuss my case. I'm excited. I hope to meet with a surgeon this month.

I am concerned though...my insurance said my BMI had to be 40. It was 41 point something when I started, but I have been losing weight (they told me I needed to lose at least 10lbs prior to surgery) and now my BMI is 39 something.....They send your STARTING weight to the insurance carrier right??? I hope this doesn't screw up my insurance approval process :wacko:

I'm not going to worry about it....I'm sure it will all work out.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Margie

Hi all I am in Ma and will be banded on Oct 12 at the BI with Dr. Robinson, has anyone been to the BI and have any remarks. I am not sure what to expect.

not to worry Margie, pretty sure they go by the wt. you are when you first walk in the door. If they say you are a good candiditate they will not screw it up for you. Good Luck!

Hi Ron,

by BI do you mean Beth Israel? The Deaconness? I didn't know there was a Dr. Robinson there..... ??? I've only heard of Dr. Sanchez, Dr. Jones, and Dr. Schneider at BIDMC........

Thanks cheri - I am pretty sure they will use starting weight too...but it worries me a little bit. I probably won't stop worrying until my health insurance company says the operation is APPROVED!

Babs - congrat's on getting your surgery date, you must be super excited. October 5th will be here before you know it.

Metalband, I still managed to lose a little, even after going a bit over my calories on Labor Day weekend. So far, so good!

Thanks everyone,

Margie

Ron,

I don't know the doctors at B&W, but it is an excellent hospital. You can check out doctors online in MA at: Page - Board of Registration in Medicine

I look up doctors there all the time, it's a great reference tool. If you are interested click on "physician profiles".

Margie

Lorna...how did you make out with Dr. Jones and your infection? Are you ok now?

Hi folks, been a while since I've posted in here. Been going through stuff and been really really busy. I had to have my band 1/2 unfilled a few months back and it's been a struggle to keep weight off. I was down to 200 and waiting for Onederland when I developed really bad reflux. So bad that I woke up at night feeling like I was drowning. I tried anacids over the counter and prescription with no avail. Dr. Jones decided I had to have Fluid taken out to see if that would help because we didn't want problems with my esphogus. Well it definately helped but of course now I'm hungry quite a bit between meals. I had also gone off of all high blood pressure meds in January so right after the meds were gone I put on Water weight because HBP drugs are diaretics. So immediately it seems 5 pounds were back on in less than a week so I chaulked itup to the lack of diaretics in my body...well since the 1/2 unfill I'm up another 3. I suppose 8 pounds since january is pretty good and I certainly know it would be much worse if the band wasn't in place at all but, still it's upsetting to me. I haven't changed my ticker because I just can't bring myself to do it. I think I'm going to totally delete it though so I don't feel like I"m lying. (playing games with myself I guess) I do look at the brighter side though in that I've lost 69 pounds, no longer have heel/foot pain, lower back is so much better and I feel better all around. I have to keep that in mind when the doubts start creepin in. Like man I have another 53 pounds to lose to get to my goal...but I have to remember baby steps. I needed to heal from this reflux first. I see Jones in October and I'm hoping for a small fill. No more big fills if I can help it. It's just not worth it to me and I feel I learn more if I take babysteps :o

I hope everyone is doing well and having success with their bands and for those of you haven't had your surgery I wish you the best in your process.

Sherry......please do not beat yourself up over 8 lbs in 9 months!! That would have been a weekend for me before the band!!! Plus you are right that most of that is Water from not being on the diuretics! So 3 lbs in 8 months.....you should be giving yourself a round of applause!

I hope that it goes well from here on in....Do not rush the fill, make sure you are healed first!

Maureen

Thanks Maureen, I try not to beat myself up too much. Just certain days it seems it happens more. When I really think about it though, I know that I'm doing great and without the band I never would of lost the 69 pounds in the first place and probably be walking with crutches or a cane. I think we all beat ourselves up...heck we're good at it lol. It's always nice to have other LBT friends to help us out of the funk. Chrispy helps me with that too. It's funny because when she's in a funk I'm not and help her and vice versa. It really does help having friends that are banded too. Now...If I could just get myself motivated to do what I need to do to get losing again!

Hope everyone is doing well and shrinking!

Hi everyone. I'm new to the board and to the idea of WLS. I have been doing a lot of research and have decided that I want to go with the lap band. I am going to a seminar on October 2 and I'm really excited about it. I know that whatever happens, it's going to be a six-month process through the insurance company, but that's okay. It will give me a lot more time to research and draw up a list of questions. Anyway, I just wanted to say hi.

Welcome Allie, :bounce:

I'm not banded - yet, but hope to be in November. Six months sounds about right to go through all of the informational seminars, office visits etc. I am almost at the end of that process and it really has flown by.

Best of luck!

Margie