Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been craving a soda I had my surgery June 12 almost 4 weeks out but lately I been craving a diet soda I heard it can give you gas pain and discomfort and also heard it can also stretch out your stomach. does anyone drink soda let me know what your experience was thanks jeff.....

honestly i drink diet dr pepper,not fast just sips.the reason we are not suppose to drink it is because of the carbonation.I waited til i was about 2 months out,then I had some,man it never tasted better.i used to drink a good 2 liter a day,but i quit. i just get tired of Water, even flavored water. so i tried it and it was okay.I will never drink as much as i used to. and the only difference between water with crystal light in it and diet soda is the gas,so I say why not,actually crystal light has calories in it 5 i think and diet soda 0

but thats up to you,I m not saying sure go ahead, just saying what i do

I have diet pepsi a couple of times of week since right after the first month, I'm 3.5 months post-op and my dietician stated the carbonation can cause discomfort if not taken slowly but it won't stretch out the sleeve.

May I suggest looking into things like Mio and flavored syrups to give you the flavors you're missing? I recently started enjoying Mio again (took a time-out from all sweeteners to let my palate adjust off of real sugar)... I like it mixed with a shot of Torani sugar-free Syrup. My current obsession is Mio lemonade with sugar-free raspberry syrup--SO GOOD and not a calorie to be found. Also no bubbles. :-)

I was recently craving a diet soda. So I opened it up and stuck it in the fridge and let it go flat over night and drank it slowly the next day.

I have sipped a soda out of curiosity and I did not like how it felt going down. I am however hooked on the low calorie G2 Gatorade in orange. I put it in the freezer and let it get all slusshy...so good.

I have drank diet soda, specifically Diet Pepsi Wild Cherry from the 2nd or 3rd week post-op and never had any problems. Some think it stretches the stomach, but I've never seen any white papers that back that up. I drink one soda a day, but it also takes me almost all day to drink it. I can't gulp it which is fine, I just like the taste. The carbonation doesn't bother me since I'm not drinking it all at one time.

Also, it has not affected my level of restriction either.

I shake a bottle and let the carbonation out. Works like a charm

I am now almost 6 months out and I have sipped on a few sodas in the last month. While it is possible to drink them, it was just uncomfortable as I felt burpy for 30 minutes after a few sips. To me, it wasn't worth it and I have finally really shifted what I choose when I want a drink outside of Water.

However, it is nice to know that I *can* get it down just fine if I want a few sips every now and then. The days of chugging a 16 oz bottle of Diet Dr. Pepper are totally over though.

Think of soda a poison. Come to terms with it and get over it.

Think of soda a poison. Come to terms with it and get over it.

It isn't poison. Diet soda does not cause issues with weight loss.

I used to drink a 12 pack of Diet Coke per day. I quit and switched to ice tea. I have been soda free for over 4 years, with the exception of 1 time. It gave me one of the worst Migraines I have ever had (and I have a lot of them). I think it was the aspartame. Great if you can tolerate it, but the aspartame is poison for me. I also think it is the carbonation that is the issue for sleevers?

I think since you are only 4 weeks out it would be best to wait OR let it go flat. I used to be a diet soda junkie (well at least 1 per day, sometimes 2) and when I found out that it was a no-go for post-op (at least early out the carbonation can cause discomfort) I just gave it up a month before surgery. I never miss it, (in Sept. 2012 it will be 2 years since I had any soda diet or other) and I just sort of made up my mind that I could live without it. If you are craving it badly, maybe you should just indulge and see what happens. However, I will say the longer you can stay away from the stuff that adds no nutritional value to your diet the better!!!

My nut and surgeon both say it's not the carbonation it's because sodas can promote hunger not an issue of stretching the sleeve. They do not recommend soda but it's not going to physically harm you but all surgeons are different.

HopeThruFaith has the right idea. If you take any beverage and freeze it and then mix it up in the blender and make a slushie, the tiny ice pieces can mimic the feeling of carbonation in your mouth. This is what some of us miss the most. But now instead of tiny bubbles filling up our stomachs with air, its just ice melting, no big deal. Just avoid the big brain freeze! ;)