Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is the one thing I am worried about giving up. I am a HUGE diet coke fan. I don't drink coffee but love to wake up to a icy cold diet coke! I am really hoping to get over it after this and switch to Water and tea.

My surgeon said 6 months post op I could start introducing carbonation in my diet but it has to be caffeine free. I use to drink a ton a day and now after surgery I don't even think about it I couldn't imagine how sweet it would taste.

My surgeon said 6 months post op I could start introducing carbonation in my diet but it has to be caffeine free. I use to drink a ton a day and now after surgery I don't even think about it I couldn't imagine how sweet it would taste.

I'm having a hard time giving up soda. Sitting here craving one and Water, flavored, is not touching it. Wondering if i should just wait until surgery to give it up when i know there is no choice soda = pain/discomfort. I thought it was the caffeine but I'm not having any issues switching to caffeine free .. a little dragged but no headaches like previously. I think its more how people crave cigarettes or coffee, of which I do neither.

Had anybody else waited until surgery to give sodas up?

I am having a very difficult time giving up the diet coke as well and my surgery is on Wednesday.

I have not have a pop since October 2011, I hear of others who drink it post-op, but for me I was such a diet pop junkie I dont think I would be able to have a little and be satisfied, so I just stay away from it. I have heard alot of people using those soda stream flavors and adding it to Water.< /p>

Hoping I will quit entirely before surgery but it won't be a choice after. Making it a major change. I've already noticed, in 1 week, that I'm craving Water (still flavored though) and soda is not satisfying me throughout the day. HOWEVER, still need that morning fizz :rolleyes:

I have not added carbonated drinks back into my diet out of fear! I loved drinking red bull and diet coke. Now its so difficult to get all my Water in that I don't have the time/space to drink the carbonated beverages.< /p>

I have not added carbonated drinks back into my diet out of fear! I loved drinking red bull and diet coke. Now its so difficult to get all my Water in that I don't have the time/space to drink the carbonated beverages.

Did you quit before or after surgery?

I quit the day before surgery. So I haven't had anything carbonated since March. I can't say I miss it much. I took a drink of my husband's soda because I got our drinks mixed up one day and it didn't feel good going down. It made me feel like I do when I take one bite too many. It was the most painful belch I ever experienced.

After researching it, I haven't found where carbonation stretches your stomach. I like energy drinks. I don't have to have a soda. I work at night and I used to drink half of one. (I work one night a week). I don't ever drink the whole. I know that this is totally loaded with sugar so this is why I am undecisive about it. Since before and after surgery, I have been pretty much sticking to the sugar free or at least as little as I can. I am going to work tonight for the first time in 10weeks and I want one. I am going to have one and let it Water down. I am sure that I cannot have even half now without the effects of feeling jittery. I don't feel bad because we had surgery and made a lifetime change. We did not sign a death certificate or one where we should not experience the things that make us happy. We should treat ourselves sometimes within moderation. Like my doc says, you have to see what works with your body. You choose because only you have to live with consequences.

After researching it, I haven't found where carbonation stretches your stomach. I like energy drinks. I don't have to have a soda. I work at night and I used to drink half of one. (I work one night a week). I don't ever drink the whole. I know that this is totally loaded with sugar so this is why I am undecisive about it. Since before and after surgery, I have been pretty much sticking to the sugar free or at least as little as I can. I am going to work tonight for the first time in 10weeks and I want one. I am going to have one and let it Water down. I am sure that I cannot have even half now without the effects of feeling jittery. I don't feel bad because we had surgery and made a lifetime change. We did not sign a death certificate or one where we should not experience the things that make us happy. We should treat ourselves sometimes within moderation. Like my doc says, you have to see what works with your body. You choose because only you have to live with consequences.

I think you said two key things.

1. "treats sometimes within moderation"

2. "you have to see what works with your body"

There isn't really a "one size fits all" with some of these things. We have to be paying attention to what our body tells us. If doing something triggers a spiral of bad choices that seem hard to stop, then we know that food or drink is dangerous for us. If it doesn't create/ trigger cravings for more bad choices, then I call that a great opportunity for a once in awhile treat. We have to be realistic about this.

Now, all this said, I don't really recommend this kind of experimenting within the few months of surgery as people should be focusing and establishing a new healthy lifestyle. Once you feel you have that fairly well under control, then do what feels right for you, monitor how it affects you and go from there. That's just my 2 cents....

Hello everyone, I just joined a program to start the process to get sleeved and soda is my biggest thing I have to give up! Im actually a little scared. Tips?

I would challenge anybody that believes that sodas whether diet or not aren't poison to do a couple things.

1. go to your nearest bottling facility in the early morning. Sit near the truck gate and watch the trucks bringing the ingredients into the facility. You will see so any HAZ-MAT placards it's just not funny ranging from CORROSIVE, FLAMMABLE, & even ,yes, POISON.

2. Do the spoon test. Get a cheap spoon (you dont want to ruin your good ones), pour a glass of soda, and suspends spoon in the soda for several days.

Then decide, do you really want this stuff in your body?

I would challenge anybody that believes that sodas whether diet or not aren't poison to do a couple things.

1. go to your nearest bottling facility in the early morning. Sit near the truck gate and watch the trucks bringing the ingredients into the facility. You will see so any HAZ-MAT placards it's just not funny ranging from CORROSIVE, FLAMMABLE, & even ,yes, POISON.

2. Do the spoon test. Get a cheap spoon (you dont want to ruin your good ones), pour a glass of soda, and suspends spoon in the soda for several days.

Then decide, do you really want this stuff in your body?

It's a pretty well known fact that soda has some pretty corrosive ingredients in it. I remember years ago when it was standard procedure for State Patrol cars to carry a 6 pack of Coke in their trunk. They used it for many things, one of them to dissipate blood on the highways from accidents. There has been things where people put a penny in coke and it will dissolve, pouring it over battery cables to get the corrosion off, etc.

That being said, there are LOTS of things that are being put into our food that are poisonous. Mercury in our fish, BCA in baby formula (supposedly FDA allowable limits), and all kinds of things that we are learning that cause things like cancer and other deadly diseases.

The debate here has typically centered around whether it actually causes the sleeve to stretch. There is no medical evidence that anyone has been able to find that actually can prove this happens. So, for those that choose to drink soda, diet or otherwise, that is a personal decision. Personally, I have continued to drink DIET soda and have never stopped. I can't drink anything near what I used to.... typically 1 bottle per day that takes me most of the day to drink, but it has not interfered with my weight loss in anyway, does not trigger any hunger hormones and so for me it works.