Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone out there been sleeved without telling anyone? Do people look at you weird when you only take two bites of a meal and are done? Perhaps I'll change my mind, but right now I don't plan on telling a whole lot of people, but I'm worried about social gatherings and whether people will realize that somethings up. Your thoughts?

My picture is not on here - so that is a dead give away that many people do not know that I had VSG surgery. My group of friends in SoCal group - some call me the "secret keeper"

I only told my DH and a select few close girlfriends. That is it...for months. My mom did not know for over 3 months and she lives blocks away. She was told after she complimented me on how I was actually keeping the weight off. As I told her of my decision, I thanked her (and her size 4 body) for being a trigger for getting surgery. She told me I should just tape my mouth shut at one point. That was my "this is it" point.

Reason for secret- I did not want any negative feedback, stories of "friends of friends" or input. I did my background check on surgeon, checked references, scoured the web and knew what I was getting into (for the most part).

I built my support system with those who would love me through the journey plus I had the support here.

Still - almost 2 years out not all my family knows. Most of my friends still do not. Do I eat differently at parties? Yes, but that is to maintain my new figure. :)

I didn't tell anyone either, only my wife & kids know. Our families live in another state which we will be visiting for Christmas. Now I just have to figure out what to tell them when they ask why I'm about 100 lbs lighter than I was last Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I didn't tell anyone either' date=' only my wife & kids know. Our families live in another state which we will be visiting for Christmas. Now I just have to figure out what to tell them when they ask why I'm about 100 lbs lighter than I was last Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using VST[/quote']

Because you're awesome!

I've only told a select few as well. Same as above, don't want it need feedback, judgement or even the never ending inquisition.

One friend I chose to tell has several times questioned how I can 'stand' to have liquid diet and keeps asking if I miss food. She is of healthy weight, so she's not asking for her own information iykwim... Now wish she didn't know!

You're awesome too :-)

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I'm only a few weeks out but my experiencing is teaching me that people now assume it. :( I did not tell many people either and I knew who I could tell to keep it private and have a good attitude about it, and I knew who would be negative and gossipy. People ask my husband, not me, if I have had surgery which is very rude imo. When people have watched me struggle with my weight for years and then they see me losing weight at this pace, they just assume I've had it.

Anyone out there been sleeved without telling anyone? Do people look at you weird when you only take two bites of a meal and are done? Perhaps I'll change my mind, but right now I don't plan on telling a whole lot of people, but I'm worried about social gatherings and whether people will realize that somethings up. Your thoughts?

I didn't tell that many people pre-op. I was confident in my decision and I didn't want to hear the "horror stories," etc. but I've had no issues telling people post op. Most of the time I wait until they ask how I've lost weight, etc. but sometimes I bring it up. I've lost close to 140 in a bit over a year, so it's pretty obvious, I think. Why hide it? Also, I had some other serious health issues that I discovered after my WLS ( and completely non WLS related) and people kept trying to shove food in me, thinking that would help. Lol. I know everyone is different. I really don't have much of a filter so I have no problem being honest with people. Whether its being honest about my surgery, or telling people to mind their own business if Ive been given a negative reaction about it. Which has maybe happened once.

I told everybody. No problem. If they disagree with my decision, that's on them. If tey want to talk behind my back, so be it. Like I said, not my problem. I'll call it jealousy. :-)

I told everyone! I have had the most amazing support ever! I did not want to think of lies or excuses why I can't eat, drink and why I am dropping so much weight. I didn't want people to think I had cancer or something else. You have to make te decision yourself. If people are negative then I know they are not true friends and not worth my time. So far I have not had a single person be negative

Yesterday I went the grocery store in another town, an a pushy lady was offering ciobani yogurt samples. I simply said do u have a plain one? She said I do but try this one. I said no, I've just had surgery and I'm on a restricted diet, just the plain thanks. She said OH lapband? I said no, sleeve. Then proceeded to explain the differences and answer her questions. I spent way more time than I really had but she was a bit overweight and her questions seemed innocent enough.

Then she looks in my trolley and says, surely you shouldn't be buying those Cookies then?

So I'm standing there explaining to this woman I don't know why I have a pack of cookies in my trolley! I have a husband, a 17 and toddler twins! The older 2 like cookies, eat in moderation and do not have weight issues.

Just rude IMO!

I have no problem with my decision to undergo the VSG, I just don't tell anyone just for the sake of not having to explain my actions to people whose opinions have no value to me. Those people close to me know and that's fine with me.