Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Makes Sleeve Different Than High Protein Diet?

I am relatively new to the idea of getting the sleeve and reading what I can about everything and I don't have my 1st seminar until next week. My question is this, it seems that the post-op diet is the same as a high protien diet, similar to Atkins, etc. What makes the sleeve different/better than just going on the liquid high protein/slushee diet everyone is talking about? I like Atkins but can't maintain on it. Is this post-op diet going to be the same? I'm not hungry on atkins either once ketosis kicks in but I find I need more. I don't want to self-pay for this surgery only to find I have another Atkins repeat..

It's not just Atkins. Your really not that hungry. You won't want to keep eating. The reason we need the sleeve is bc we can't just stay on Atkins or weight watchers and keep losing to goal and then maintain. This is a complete lifestyle change forever. I look at it as it is going to be my lifesaver.

Good luck!

Johnathan

Hi,it is not high Protein.Everybody needs about (some more some less,depending) 65g of Protein per day.It is just a protein focussed way of eating.And just enough,like everybody on earth.Atkins allow much more protein per day and fat.We do not have the ability to eat that much and we do not need all that.

I for one do not only eat Proteins.I am not in ketosis and I do not need to be.I eat 60 g of protein per day,then veggies and if I so desire a teeny tiny bit of carbs,usually I dont feel like it or I just dont have space for it.

In the beginning when the sleeve is very tight you might find that Proteins fill your sleeve but after a few months it can become slightly more balanced.

With the GBP my friends eat exactly the same than me.

xxo

I am now three months out... I am no longer on a "diet" I can have almost anything I want. Within reason, Protein yes will always be your number one food. White carbs are limited. Potatoes are the number one carb it seems. But on a "diet" it so easy to stop and overeat. With the sleeve, physically you are limited on your intake. That makes it so much easier. Also you know your body needs XYZ. So you don't spend the limited room you have on ABC very often. Before surgery it was like I had an limited amount of room at anytime... 6 doughnuts easy... now they are so much easier to pass up... Or if I have a family member with me I will have nibble off thiers and be happy.

! also wonder this? I have a friend I work with on modified Atkins and he is doing amazing! He has lost all his excess weight.

! also wonder this? I have a friend I work with on modified Atkins and he is doing amazing! He has lost all his excess weight.

Weight loss surgery isn't for everyone. If he's able to get down from a 40 + BMI to a 25 BMI through diet then he doesn't need this. Not everyone is able to do that though. I've been on Atkins, South Beach, Weight Watchers and many others over the years without those results. You have to do what works for you.

Thank you everyone. so if im understanding the sleeve controls the desire to overeat but the Protein is needed for health. so, down the road, I will be able to eat chicken, steak, with the occassional grapes/watermellon, etc. I will just want ALOT less. (cheaper to go out to dinner at Outback--leftovers for a week? lol).

My biggest problem will probably be sodas. I've been addicted to diet coke for 30 years. off and on with the caffinated soda. Water makes me physically ill. I've been told its proably because my body is so toxic from the diet coke. Just the thought of weaning myself off makes me ill because I know whats coming...

The surgery isn't a diet, that's the thing to keep in mind. You physically CANNOT eat like you used to. If you are someone that can diet and then maintain your weight loss, you might not need the surgery. If you are someone that's incapeable of doing that, then surgery might be your last resort. I know it was mine. The reason we focus on Protein here is because its very important for your body, and it fills you up faster. I've learned the hard way that after a couple months, you can eat more carbs than protein and still feel hungry. If you start with protein though, you wont want the bad stuff :)

Thank you everyone. so if im understanding the sleeve controls the desire to overeat but the Protein is needed for health. so, down the road, I will be able to eat chicken, steak, with the occassional grapes/watermellon, etc. I will just want ALOT less. (cheaper to go out to dinner at Outback--leftovers for a week? lol).

My biggest problem will probably be sodas. I've been addicted to diet coke for 30 years. off and on with the caffinated soda. Water makes me physically ill. I've been told its proably because my body is so toxic from the diet coke. Just the thought of weaning myself off makes me ill because I know whats coming...

I was able to eat soft chicken when I was on the mushie food stage. Now, 10 weeks out I can HAVE anything. No texture is off limits, but I get full VERY fast and I try to stay away from bad carbs. Of course I still have bad days and then I dont feel good. I've read on here too that the surgery removes the part of your stomach that has the hunger hormone, so some people dont feel hungry at all. Thats not how it works for me, but I'm not hungry for long. All it takes is less than 3oz of chicken and thats it for me at this stage.

I know sodas a pretty big no no here. I've tried it after surgery and it was terrible for me. It hurt, 1st of all, and 2nd of all, it tasted disgusting. A lot of people seem to have a very low tolerance for very sweet things after surgery.

I'm over a year out and my sleeve still doesn't like meat or chicken or tuna or egg yolks. Everybody (and every body) is different. :-) What makes the sleeve different from a high-Protein diet, I think, boils down to three key things:

1. Restriction and volume control. You can't physically eat as much volume as you used to.

2. "Type of food" control. At various parts of your sleeve journey, you will tolerate different types of food--for instance, at the beginning, I bet money that you don't enjoy sweet things like you used to--all that sugar will hit your system so flipping hard you won't believe it. Eventually, you will be able to enjoy fruit and maybe the occasional piece of dark chocolate (oh wow, yum), but at first, not so much. For me, my sleeve rejected and still rejects fried food and most flour/grain products. Frustrating, but not really. I actually appreciate that I can't have those things; it's not even tempting to try, because I remember what happened last time--sleeves rejecting food is not pleasant.

3. Hunger control. Many people who are sleeved find that their hunger lessens. Not everyone, definitely, but a number of people do find that. And as you drop weight, your body requires fewer calories to sustain itself, and you might find yourself in the happy position of thinking of food as fuel--as in, you're not really hungry, but you eat healthy foods because you know your body needs it to perform at its peak.

Best wishes as you gather information--please let me know if I can be of any help. My husband and I are both sleevers.

I was on the Atkins diet and lost 60 pounds. It really helped my health; the doctor was close to dancing in the exam room. I wasn't able to keep the weight off,though, and gained 75 pounds back. Atkins is great. Sticking to it for life is more than hard.

Someone once said people cannot diet forever,and its very true.

the sleeve is a tool that we use with other things such as exercise to help us lose the excess weight.i am three months out sleeved March 20th and have lost 53lbs since surgery. I am now allowed anything i want,I still gravitate to mostly protien,and seeing the results so far i tend to stay with what works.I do take all my Vitamins and supplements as directed by my surgeon. and am very please with the results.And dont tell anyone but i do have an occasional diet dr pepper. the only reason they are a big no-no is because of the carbonation(sic), if you put it in a cup and let most of the gas escape,its not too bad on your stomach.I love the flavor of my soda.but it is a lifestyle change and youll have to learn to eat a new way,but its worth it

What makes a sleeve different than high protien diet? Restriction in volume of food. Sleeve is a permanent surgery that restricts how much food you can eat.

While not needing to diet, a sleeve patient will at some point need to still watch what type of foods they eat. I am fortunate and have no intolerances to any foods. bread, Pasta, eggs, milk, spicy and more...still taste great. Now it took awhile to get here.

But a sleever can gain back weight or not lose at much as they hope. Too many calories, usually in liquid form sabatoge us. I am carb sensitive, so I watch how many carbs I eat and try to stay away from slider foods, like chips and candy which sleeve does not restrict as much as Protein. What I mean is I can eat a lot of chips (more than 1 cup) in one sitting. This food "slides" right on through this sleevie wonder of mine. Grazing can also sabatoge a sleever.

Diets never worked for me. I could never maintain the weight loss for any length of time. Hence I was a volume eater. Even Atkins did not keep me full. After being SICK AND TIRED of not being the true me, I self paid for sugery here in the USA.

No regrets and yes, I still love my sleeve!

Thank you all. Every bit of information helps. I almost look forward to not craving sweets/diet coke. I hope that part kicks in for me. I hate getting migranes when i'm without caffeine for too long. This is probably be something I quit and go through withdrawals before surgery.

Yes, you are understanding it correctly. For example, I used to make tuna fish from those little bitty single serve cans. I ate the entire serving plus other stuff at one sitting. Now, just that little bitty single serve can alone made into tuna fish lasts me 3 to 4 meals with usually 3 crackers at each meal.

Sodas is a tough habit to break. Wean yourself off of it asap to avoid caffeine withdrawal headaches. I weaned myself several weeks to my preop diet that started May 22, 2012 and in the beginning it was HARD. I craved it big time. Now, I don't even miss it.

Best of luck to you!