Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Point Can You Start Doing Other Exercise Besides Just Walking?

I'm a couple of weeks out but was wondering when do you typically start getting to do other types of exercise besides just walking? I know I need to refer to my physician but would like an idea when things such as biking, swimming, dancing, etc can start being worked in.

Swimming is typically a good 4 weeks post op - your incisions need to heal completely. Biking, running, and other types of workouts put a strain on your abdomen. For this reason, you will typically be told to wait 6 weeks before *slowly* starting these activities. Not gospel, but it's pretty standard. Your mileage may vary.

I was told to wait 6 weeks for "real" exercise and told a little linger to lift weights that would cause me to tighten my tummy.

As for biking, my doc said whenever because I am a student at UCSB and have to bike to get around (or walk 45 min) but otherwise he advises 2 - 3 months if it is on a real bike outside. This is due to the possibility of falling I guess. Indoor biking for most is cleared around 6 weeks.

i was also told 6 weeks

Wow, I was told much different... light cardio is ok at 2 weeks post-op:walking, stationary bike, swimming. (I can't wait to go swimming again!) I'd probably go for Water aerobics over laps. And at 4 weeks out, most other exercise is ok, including lifting.

I just started swimming this past week. I have been bad and done nothing for the first 10 weeks. There's a lot you can do in the pool - laps, Water aerobics, kickboards, etc. Fortunately we live in TX and I just have to go in the back yard. It felt so good to finally do something!!!

My surgeon told me 8 weeks. Don't want to risk damage to my staple line. :)

my surgeon encouraged me to keep moving and to continue comfortable exercising. My weight loss coordinator advised all sleevers to wait until we had lost about 60 lbs before attempting stenuous activity in order to lessen pressure on joints and feet.

25053279.png

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I went to the gym about 3 weeks out. I was told not to do any twisty moves like the elliptical but biking, treadmill, and lifting no more than 10 pound weights was fine.

I was told 8 weeks for exercise other than walking and lifting very light weights. I specifically asked about the elliptical and was told not until the eight week mark. Swimming- 5-6 weeks.

I had my surgery April 12th, just walked and now I'm working out like a beast...cardio and weight lifting...lifting weights was ok'd by my Dr. At 8 weeks.

I started walking 1.5 miles 2 days after surgery. I'm 2 weeks out today, and I've walked up tp 4 miles a day on occasion. As long as I feel no discomfort, my doctor says it's fine. I can begin swimming this week, but no weights for another 4 weeks.

Just wondering for those that have more to lose how do you go about walking so soon? Maybe it is just me, but right now (pre-op) I can barely make it to my mailbox and back without passing out...from my weight and the heat (tx).

Does your body really adjust that quickly? I would LOVE to be able to go for a walk the week after surgery...but I just can not see this happening. I will still be morbidly obese and then I think about when I do any physical exercise how thirsty I am. I am still trying to sort it all out in my head I guess. If we can not gulp down some cold Water after a workout/walk, etc. Im not sure how I can do it. I can usually drink a 20 oz bottle of Water without stopping till its gone. Wont be able to do that after.....how do we stay hydrated in 100 degree temps and trying to walk outisde?

I only walked a couple blocks at first. Or walked around my house in circles..lol. I have been walking a mile now. Sometimes I do get tired or a little dizzy but it is getting better. When I get tired, I just stop for a minute then continue. I really despise exercise. I wished I loved it!!

Just wondering for those that have more to lose how do you go about walking so soon? Maybe it is just me, but right now (pre-op) I can barely make it to my mailbox and back without passing out...from my weight and the heat (tx).

Does your body really adjust that quickly? I would LOVE to be able to go for a walk the week after surgery...but I just can not see this happening. I will still be morbidly obese and then I think about when I do any physical exercise how thirsty I am. I am still trying to sort it all out in my head I guess. If we can not gulp down some cold Water after a workout/walk, etc. Im not sure how I can do it. I can usually drink a 20 oz bottle of Water without stopping till its gone. Wont be able to do that after.....how do we stay hydrated in 100 degree temps and trying to walk outisde?

I am in Texas also and I know what you mean about the heat! I try to get out in the morning before it gets too bad, but I have suffered through a couple of days out there walking in the blazing sun! I actually cut my walk a bit short on Saturday because I started to get a little sick to my stomach.

I think everyone's body adjusts a bit differently and I do what I feel my body will allow me to do. Believe me, I'm not trying to be anyone's hero!....LOL. As to the water, I keep an insulated container of ice water in the car, and when I finish my walk, I sip it for a bit while cooling down and on my way back home. I really believe you will be pleasantly surprised at what you'll be able to do after surgery. I wish you all the best!