Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2006 Band Crew ~ September Chat

GOOD NEWS! Just got off the phone with my doc. I am scheduled for a fill under flouro on Oct 9th! He has negotitated a reduced fee with the surgery center and it will only cost me $89 if I pay the same day! Awesome! Now I can finally find out where I'm leaking and get this band rockin'!

Yeah! Drewslou, I am so excited for you to get going again. I find myself frustrated when I don't think I have the restriction I should. I can't imagine what you have been through! There have been times in the past few months that I felt like I didn't have a band at all! Good Luck!

Marci,

I have that same chip issue. Its such a struggle sometimes. I don't crave any sweets or pop or any other thing cept them dang chips. I totally understand.

I can't wait to get home and see if I've made any progress at all this week. I made some good choices all week. Yippee. We'll see if I've gotten anywhere. Would be nice to move that ticker, even if its just a bit.

I made a decision this week to let my travel partner (co-worker) in on my banding business. I've not told many people at work as we have an office busy body who seems to think everyone needs to know everyone else's business and I'm a pretty private person. Got burned by her once and won't do it again. Felt good to tell him as he kept wondering why I was eating so strangely... ??? I didn't think it was strange... band food? Whats wrong with it? :cry It was very different the last time we traveled together so it was quite obvious I guess. He was quite excited for me and stopped buggin' about eating so it worked out very well.

Oh well, home tomorrow to spend time with the She G Kid and have some good old fun.

I hope we all had 'loser' weeks and can move our tickers together! :clap2:

I got my second fill yesterday and I must say, it was not as smooth or painfree as the first.

First, I had Dr. Parnell doing the fill instead of Dr. Farmilia's assistant, like last time. I get the feeling she hasn't done very many of them. Second, Dr. Farmilia had me standing in front of the flouro machine and Dr. Parnell had me laying down.

So to start she asks me what size needle they used last time, so I told her. She has the flouro guy find the port on the machine, she feels for the port and pokes. Ok......just like last time.....but she doesn't hit the port. She wiggles the needle around, still no port. So she pulls out, gets a new needle and tries again. She hit something this time. Yeah! Maybe I'm about done. But no......she missed the port again and hit the side and slipped off. So she tries again......and again......and again! FINALLY....on the 6th try she hit's the port. What a relief! By that time my belly is just aching from all the pokes. The flouro guys were getting concerned, kept telling me that it was about done........patting my shoulder.....telling me to try and relax. What finally got it done was the flouro guy telling me to sit up slightly and Bingo! hit the port in one poke. I'll have to remember that next time.

Then of course comes the drinking of horribly chalking crap. But watching it go down on the machine is rather cool. I could definitely see the restriction. She only put in .5 cc's and wants to do another adjustment in 4 weeks. I wish she was as agressive as Dr. Farmilia.....he did 1.5 cc's and it lasted almost 3 months. Oh, well.......

Yeah, Drewslou!!!! Hopefully you will get moving again.

Lapbandit - I'm glad I'm not alone. You hear so many people talk about having sweet cravings and such, but no one says much about chips. I'm hoping with this fill, I won't be able to eat chips with no consequences.

Everyone have a great weekend~ I'm starting nightshifts tonight and it's raining.....not a good thing when you work where I do.......

Hi Everyone,

I'm doing my weekly check-in for the Turkey Take-Off Challenge.

I'm at 250 this week which is a gain of one pound since I changed my ticker (it's my TOM)! But I'm still down 3 pounds from last Friday when I officially started. So....17 more pounds to go!

I hope everyone is doing well.

Drews - Glad to hear you got your fluro scheduled and for such a great price!

Two days after my third fill (2.2 now) and even though I don't have any 'signals' to warn me I have eaten enough...I had a small lunch and it's 7pm and I am still not hungry. :) I am going to eat some fish anyway...but I am soooo hoping this is real restriction and it lasts.

Turkey Take Off update: I on a plateau...boo hoo. :cry Only 1/2 pound in 16 days! I am going to just keep on keeping on and some day the weight will start going down again.

Staying the same here for the Turkey Take-Off. Not sure why. Should be showing a weight loss.

Myra ~ Thanks for the update and I've told 3Loves about your situation. She is praying for you. She just had a root canal last Thurs and it wasn't fun. Still taking pain meds b/c the filling stuff was pushed into the gum area and she has some swelling. The dentist said to take NSAID's until she told him she is not allowed. I think she is going for a shot of steroids in the gum on Mon to help alleviate the swelling. So, how many crowns are you able to get at one time? Are they doing it ALL at one setting or will you go back for several appts? So glad to hear this will soon be behind you. You are such an inspiration in so many ways. Thank you for always being there for my wife, 3Loves. You mean a lot to her.

Janey ~ WOW...29.9 BMI! WTG!!

Marci ~ Congrats on your daughter's wedding. Love the pic and always enjoying hearing about fun stuff.

Drews ~ Yeah, glad to hear your hubby is out of the hospital. Hope he's doing well and on the way to a full recovery. So, Oct 9th is the big day? I'm sure you will let us know the results ASAP. 3Loves and I are pulling for you and will keep you in our prayers.

WHERE ARE YOU KIM? HOW R U DOING?

Paladin tell 3loves her prayer must be working.

Here is the long story.

The first week of September we did a home equity loan, paid a bunch of stuff off and this let me get financing for doing my dental work. Financing came through on September 14th.

So I was scheduled October 11 to have all my teeth pulled, and the titanium rods implanted. I had my impressions made for my dentures on Friday 15th of September. While I was getting my denture impression made I was talking to the dentist about my husband's teeth.

I routinely make his appointments for cleaning but I don't go with him. Apparently he hasn't been listening to the dentist. Because when I ask about a root canal that he has needed for three years I got the complete 411.

His teeth are completely wearing away. He has a total mismatch of his back teeth to his front teeth. So his teeth were in far WORSE shape than mine. He needed immediate work done. But since they weren't hurting him (yet) he just kind of ignored it.

Well now he is to have 24 teeth crowned and four veneers done. Every single tooth has to have work. To the tune of over 30,000 dollars. And it can't be put off because he is grinding his teeth to nubbins almost.

So I put a hold on my dental surgery so we could focus on getting his done.

Well it turns out my dentist really didn't want me to get dentures but agreed to it only because I was being hard headed about it.

So now I am having all crowns but four which will be veneers also. The bottom teeth in the front for my husband and I will be veneers. My dentist says these teeth are small and could break off it she were to do crowns on them. So she likes to do veneers.

So between us we will have 39 crowns and 8 veneers placed. Along with a few root canals.

He does his temporary work on October 9th and they will all be done at once. The dentist has set aside that entire day for him with no other patients. Mine will be done on Wednesday, October 11th and I will have all my temporary work done at one time also.

Three weeks later we will go back to have the permanent work done.

After that I will have a bridge made for my lower right side that doesn't have any teeth at this time.

Whew I hope that will finish everything for us.

My daughter had her wisdom teeth out and had braces put on this past spring.

So that will make us about 60,000 worth of dental work for the three of us this year.

One good thing is I will be able to use it on our taxes. The other is we will all have nice straight white teeth and look really really good. I have never had white teeth so this will really be something new for me.

Tell 3loves I surely understand the pain and discomfort from her dental work and I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers like I always do. I hope things turn around for her quickly.

Love to ya'll.

Myra

Hey Guys! Thought I'd check in... Haven't been posting much lately.... life has been crazy the last few weeks! I'm down just one pound for the Turkey Takeoff.. gotta get that scale moving again! I'm working out 3 days a week for about and hour and a half and can tell my body is changing (by my clothing), but the scales aren't moving that much. I just bought some jeans yesterday and a pair of khaki's in a size 18/20! WOOOHOOO!!!! Can't wait to get into those normal sized clothes, no more plus sized clothes for me!! I keep getting tons of compliments from co-workers and family and friends, so that is very encouraging. Just friday a co-worker stopped me in the hall to tell me how great I'm looking. I just can't see it myself, ya know? I can tell in my clothes, but when I look in the mirror, I still see the same ole fat me! I need to get some pics taken and compare to my befores. I hope evryone is doing well....

Palladin- is 3loves ready for a second fill yet? I'm considering having one in October. I can tell the first one is there... tried to eat a very well toasted English Muffin on Saturday and the band didn't like it.. No PB or anything, it just took a while to go down. I'm eating between 1300 - and 1500 calories, and I think that is too much. I'm gonna call my surgeon's office today to schedule a slight second fill in October. How many cc's was 3loves first fill? I'm at 1.25 ccs.

Myra - Bless you! I hate going to the dentist. $60,000 WOW!

Drew - Hope you and hubby are doing great!

Duckie - So sorry your second fill wasn't as smooth as the first. Hope you are doing well!

Linda - You are doing great on the challenge! You go girl! How filled are you?

Everyone have a great week! May we all be a couple pounds lighter this time next week!

kim2bhealthy

I don't remember a time in my life when I didn't make four or more trips to the dentist a year. This started when I was a preteen. I have gone so much I often fall ASLEEP in the dentist chair!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to say I do try hard to practice good oral hygiene. The ironic thing is I have a brother who NEVER went to the dentist for TWENTY years. That is not an exaggeration. His teeth aren't any worse than mine.

Man that really aggravates me.

LOL everyone.

Myra

Hello All,

Well thought i would join this board since I was banded in May. May22nd to be exact. I have had 2 fills, so I have a 4cc band and I am 3CC filled. My doc told me he will not fill me no more till I get the eating with the band thing right. Its a learning process. Its weird I seem to be able to eat junk with no problem but I tried eggs this morning and got sick, real weird. I can eat choclate chips and ice cream real well but giv eme chicken or eggs forget it I get that golf ball feeling and get sick/ So my weight lose is pretty good, started at 215 day of surgery today I am 187, I was down to 184 maybe its Water weight from my period or maybe its the junk I eat. Could be both. So time to take charge and try to eat right, sometimes you loose yourself and those crapy eating habbits find there way back to you but I suppose we just have to stay in control.

Thanks for listening and good luck to all, by the way i haven't mastered the ticker thing yet either maybe some day!!!

Welcome to the May 2006 group cherg. We have a good group of folks here. You have made wonderful progress on your weightloss.

Keep up the good work.

Myra