Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2006 Band Crew ~ September Chat

I tried this recipe because it's Thomas Keller's. There's a reason Keller is the number one chef in America. This is the most basic recipe in the world, yet his techniques make all the difference. By far, the best roast chicken I've ever had. I'm so sold on this recipe and so is everyone I've make it for. You've simply got to try this as the breast meat is so moist that I could eat it with no problems. Make sure you do it EXACTLY as per the instructions. Dry the chicken and then dry some more, inside and out. You won't be disappointed. I added the thyme to the cavity of the chicken and didn't baste it with juices as it was so moist it didn't need it.

cocina.gif570.gifcenar.gifdrool.gifberrydance.gif

Thomas Keller's recipe and commentary:

One 2- to 3-pound farm-raised chicken

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

2 teaspoons minced thyme (optional)

Preheat the oven to 450°F. Rinse the chicken, then dry it very well with paper towels, inside and out. The less it steams, the drier the heat, the better.

Salt and pepper the cavity, then truss the bird. Trussing is not difficult, and if you roast chicken often, it's a good technique to feel comfortable with. When you truss a bird, the wings and legs stay close to the body; the ends of the drumsticks cover the top of the breast and keep it from drying out. Trussing helps the chicken to cook evenly, and it also makes for a more beautiful roasted bird.

Now, salt the chicken — I like to rain the salt over the bird so that it has a nice uniform coating that will result in a crisp, salty, flavorful skin (about 1 tablespoon). When it's cooked, you should still be able to make out the salt baked onto the crisp skin. Season to taste with pepper.

Place the chicken in a sauté pan or roasting pan and, when the oven is up to temperature, put the chicken in the oven. I leave it alone — I don't baste it, I don't add butter; you can if you wish, but I feel this creates steam, which I don't want. Roast it until it's done, 50 to 60 minutes. Remove it from the oven and add the thyme, if using, to the pan. Baste the chicken with the juices and thyme and let it rest for 15 minutes on a cutting board.

Remove the twine. Separate the middle wing joint and eat that immediately. Remove the legs and thighs. I like to take off the backbone and eat one of the oysters, the two succulent morsels of meat embedded here, and give the other to the person I'm cooking with. But I take the chicken butt for myself. I could never understand why my brothers always fought over that triangular tip — until one day I got the crispy, juicy fat myself. These are the cook's rewards. Cut the breast down the midddle and serve it on the bone, with one wing joint still attached to each. The preparation is not meant to be superelegant. Serve with mustard on the side and, if you wish, a simple green salad. You'll start using a knife and fork, but finish with your fingers, because it's so good.

Whoooohooooo.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great going! So, are we all starting a new goal now? I know it sure helped me to have one together.

A new goal would be great! I think another 20 by Thanksgiving would be great. We all have slowed down a bit in our loses and that would give us 10+ weeks to lose it. Whatda think? We can do it!

I stepped on the scale very tenatively this morning and...guess what????

I LOST 1.5 POUNDS! Go figure!

I would love to do a Thanksgiving Challenge! I'm in for -20 pounds! I'll officially start on Friday when my September Challenge ends.

Yeah! LindaV!!! Sometimes it doesn't make sense the way our bodies shed the weight. You can be so good and nothing comes off, then you rebel and you lose it like a hunger strike participant! Anyhow, congrats! And good for you for taking the next 20 lbs challenge. I think we should name it the '20LB TURKEY TAKE OFF'. Some of us will probably be cooking a 20lb bird and wouldn't it be fun to look at that beautiful bird and know that you lost it?!

I haven't posted in a long time, but I have been keeping up with everyone's progress. It has been a lot of getting used to but it is worth it all. I am so happy to hear about how well everyone is doing, and for those who are having difficulty, it will all get better soon. Keep up the good work!

Hey girls!!

Here I am checking in for my final September challnge update. The challenge ends for me today as tonight I see Dave Matthews Band! Wooohoo! I have officially lost 19.8 pounds on the challenge. Just 10.2 pounds shy of my goal.... LOL!

I am all for a Thanksgiving Challenge! Count me in!

scale hasn't budged for 13 days! I'm being good so I know it's just my body doing it's frustrating thing. But I still think the scale it lying... :nervous

Good luck everybody on the 'twenty pound turkey take-off"! ;-)

Drews...You are a hottie!!

Janey, I will make sure my DW gets your chicken recipe. That sounds really yummy. chicken is my favorite, regardless if I have a band or not.

marz88, WTG on your NSV and your weight loss. It is really great to hear about your progress.

missnikki, It's great to hear from you. Hope you post more often.

LindaV, WHAT? You lost? You are just amazing!! Congratulations and tell you DH to take you out more often.

Love the Turkey Take Off Challenge. I'm in. Need to think about the amount of weight. May go with 15 lbs instead of 20. Will think about it and let you all know for the commitment factor. GOBBLE GOBBLE

Way to go everyone on accepting the Turkey Take Off challenge! It will be worth it! And mind you, Mr 3 Loaves, a 15 lb turkey is pretty good size too! If I make the goal, I'll be 5 lbs over my half way goal...Oh, I'm so excited now. And Janey, I love the Turkey ticker!

Hey All,

I see everyone has been progressing accordingly. I have been traveling all around the world for work and pleasure and now I am back for a few weeks. I am down for the 20 lb Thanksgiving challenge. I will start to do an extra push today. How is everyone doing ?