Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2006 Band Crew ~ September Chat

Wow, it's great to see how everyone is doing! I actually hit my original September Challenge this morning! Yep, it's official have now lost 60 pounds! :eek: :P I have 5 more to go by my birthday on the 15th. My DH is taking me to Portland for a surprise b-day present (I'm guessing a musical) so I'm not sure I will lose another 5 pounds by next Friday but, either way, I'm thrilled!

Talk to ya soon!

Thank you all for the kind words. Trust me, 3Loves misses you more than you'll ever know. It is very sad it all had to come down to this. Glad it's over though.

DeAnn, did you ever reach your doc for a fill?

Drews, what's the status of your port?

Myra, what did they say about your port after your fill? I noticed a thread on here about outies. Have you seen it yet? http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=23065&highlight=outies

Kim, 3Loves is thrilled to hear your fill has been a success!! To top is off, you already hit your Sept goal...WTG. My DW is doing great with her fill. It's that TOM so she's being very careful not to "challenge" the band right now. Just playing it safe as she says.

Marci, you are just not having good luck are you? Hope you feel better soon. My DW had a horrible sore throat & aches yesterday. Started on antibiotics and it has helped tremendously in a short period of time.

Great job Linda on hitting your goal!! You are a true success. I guess it's fair to say you ALL are.

Well, I hope that I remembered everything. Until next time, take care.

Hi Paladin tell 3loves I am glad she is feeling better.

I probably won't know for a couple of months what my port is doing. During my first fill under xray it was fine. The second fill it was flipped at a 90 degree angle. I probably won't get a third fill until after we go on vacation the first week of October. So hopefully it won't have continued moving but will just stay where it is. But if is does completely flip on over then I'll just have it fixed.

I do have a question for everyone.

I have noticed that after each fill (I have had two) that when I swallow food it is slightly painful when it hits the pouch/band area. I don't mean like something is stuck. I mean like I can feel it go down and when it hits the bottom of the esophagus it is slightly painful. I thought after the first fill it was because I was swollen but the sensation never completely left. I went almost 8 weeks between fills and I still have that sensation. I don't slime, pb, or anything else. I eat a reduced amt of food. No reflux.

Just this odd sensation of slight pain.

I have 6cc in my Vanguard.

Just wondering if anybody else has experienced this.

Myra

Myra, you should talk to your surgeon. It may benefit you to go on Prevacid or something of the sorts. 3Loves has been on it since surgery as a preventative measure. She has not experienced any pain, even after the fill. I'm wondering if your pain could be related to some type of reflux that is more noticeable when you are tighter. :eek: Good luck.

Paladin & 3 Loves, I did find my Dr. He is now at the hospital where I had my surgery at. I'm glad he moved I didn't like the other Dr. in the clinic. He can not preform surgeries any longer and I don't know why and he just kinda gives me the creeps. Just me! anyway my Dr. is out of town and will not be back in till the 11. Then he has to set up his office so no appointments till the end of the month. I'm doing OK. Just working hard. I'm at a plateau! have not lost anything in over a week ! it's kinda scary because this is when I would of given up before. I find my self saying "Oh hell I'll just give up" but then have to have a talk with myself and set things straight! hope you are doing well !

Do any of ya'll find yourself looking at the AMOUNT of food you can eat and wondering how in the world that little amount can keep ANYBODY ALIVE?

I am having a hard time with that. For me portion distortion is far harder than actual hunger.

Now granted I just had fill #2 and I think the swelling is finally going down cause I can now burp a little. I haven't been able to do that for over a week.

But for Breakfast today I ate 3 whole wheat crackers with egg salad spread moderately on them. THAT WAS IT!!!!!!!!!

I am thinking to myself this just is not right. I need to be able to eat more than this. That's what my brain is saying but the old body just isn't cooperating.

Myra

Are we going to start another challenge? It sure helped me to lose those twenty pounds...loved the support! Can you post/set up the dates and the goals?

:hug:

During my plateau I had to keep telling myself to just keep on keeping on...and suddenly the weight was coming off again. Thanks for the support, too!

Can someone explain what went on and why?!?!?!?! I've haven't been on for a few days and obviously missed something! Who did what and why were they banned? Please don't leave our May posts here...I love having others who started with me.

Hello my fellow Maysters!

Things are pretty crazy in my life right now. On top of dealing with my possible leak my hubby went back into the hospital Tuesday. He has been there on and off for the past 3 and a half years with some pretty serious infections and probably at least 100 surgeries. Long story.... don't want to bore you with the details. He was home for 2 months since his last "visit" and now he's right back in with another infection. This has been so hard, I don't know how I can get through it but I always seem to. We have almost lost him several times. Oh... did I mention we have only been married for just under 4 years??? Yup... he got sick about 3 months after our wedding and it has been going on ever since. Be grateful for your good health.... I always took mine for granted!

On to the challenge, I lost a pound this week. Woohoo! first time I've had my weight move down in weeks. It sucks that it's only 1 pound but I will take what I can get.... especially with zero restriction!

Update on my leak. Still trying to get fluoro scheduled, looking around for other docs in my area that might be cheaper. Talked to Inamed yesterday for more info on leaking ports. Steve from the Product Support Department told me that there are three causes of leaks. 1)tubing comes detached from the port. He said there is a little stainless steel clamp that holds them together that can come apart 2) my tubing was punctured by the needle when the doc tried to do a fill 3) when the band was installed the doc nicked it when suturing it to my stomach. Apparently the docs are supposed to fully inflate the band before they install it to check for leaks so they are sure they are not installing a leaky band. Haven't asked my doc yet if he did that. Inamed recommends I get a fill under flouro with contrast to see exactly where the leak is coming from. The guy I talked to (Steve) was very friendly and helpful and started a file on me so they could track the problem. I am supposed to call him back once I have the flouro and let him know where the leak is. If anyone needs to contact Inamed I would happily share his name and number for questions!

Hope this finds everyone healthy and happy!

Peace.

Happy Birthday September girls! - Sleepyjean and Linda!!:happybday:

Janey - Rants and Raves is a forum on LBT, you can probably go read all that stuff and pretty much figure stuff out.... Just a lot of fighting and hurt feelings and anger. I would suggest that you stick to more positive threads like this one!:nervous

MyChevygirl - Don't give up! :couch2:

Myra - I know it to believe how little we eat. You'd think the weight would be coming off even faster.:)

Linda - Congrats on the 60 lbs! AWESOME! You go girl!:waytogo:

Drews - I wish only the best for you and your hubby! :wow2: That is sooo much for you guys to handle. I know everything will work out and you will both be happy and healthy! I'm soo glad that you made a contact with Inamed! Maybe they can help with the port situation!

Paladin - Let 3loves kow that I'm thinking of her and hope she is faring well. I can definitely relate to the TOM thing. I seem to be all out of wack! Must be the weight loss messing with my hormones!

Duckie - 30 minutes on the treadclimber and 4 mile marathons! Thats sooo impressive! You inspire me to work extra hard at my exercise physiologist session tonight! Keep up the good work!:)

Drews, we will pray for your husband. Sure sounds like you've both had a rough road to start your marriage. I hope this only brings you closer. You are right, good health should not be taken for granted.

Great job on losing 1 pound! Take everything you can get. My DW lost 2 lbs this week so she's up to 14 lbs for the challenge and needs to take off 6 lbs by next week. We'll see. I'm proud of her progress regardless.

Glad to hear you talked to Inamed like Kim said. That is a smart move on your part. It will be interesting to see where the leak is located and see who owns up to the responsibility. From what Steve said, it makes sense that a defective should not be installed.

Kim, you seem so happy. Glad your doing well. Message delivered to DW. Thanks.

My DW sends hugs to ALL. :couch2: