Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Kim is my doctor and I had my surgery in Dallas at Forest Park Medical Center on the 18th of this month. I had to stay an extra night because my heart rate was too high. The floor doctor thought that there may be a possiblity of having a blood clot in my lungs so they did a CT Scan on me but everything turned out fine. Buttttt the nurses had an IV in my hand and let it balloon double the size ( where my wrist bands were indenting in my arm ) and after a couple of times bugging the nurse to move it she finally did. I went home on June 21st. I had been doing okay but still was very sore on the arm with the IV and some back pain. I went for my first post-op appointment at his office in Colleyville and after talking to the PA about what was going on; they removed my staples and I did the barium swallow. After that they sent me straight to the ER at Forest Park Medical Center. It turns out that I had a blood clot in my arm that the jacked up IV was in. They think that I left the hospital with it when I had my surgery. They admitted me and I will be here for 4 days. They did an ultra sound and Doppler on my other arm and legs and also put me trough two more CT Scans...md everything else looks good. They put me on blood thinners and stuff. This was very scary for me. I am not sure why I didn't hear much ( or research ) about blood clots...I think I was more focused on having a leak in my sleeve. Anyone else have this happen to them recently? Any advice? Very scary! I felt like the perfect person for the surgery. I am healthy (despite being over weight) and I am 23 years old and very motivated! So weird and I never expected it!

I'm so sorry for what you are going through. What a nightmare! I'll be thinking of you and hoping for a quick recovery. Please check back in and let us know how you are doing.

Wow, honey... I 'm so glad you're alright now... We just never know what the case could be....Thank goodness your okay.... I went into this knowing something like this could happen... i just decided to take the chance, since I would have been worse off if I didn't.....

Hi LesKra, boy do I know just how u feel, I also had my surgery on June 18th and went back for my one week ck up yesterday, I told the dr that my calves were cramping when I walked a long way and he said he was worried that I had a blod clot! Of course I broke down in tears and was sent to the hospital to do a lower extremity Doppler scan, it was the longest 10 minutes of my life! Thank God it was negative, but it was scarey! I hope you are doing ok now and you are back on your feet soon!

Yeah, they list blood clots as a possibility but there are so many things that can happen but never do-- so you never know which, if any, you could get. Sorry it happened to you. (I knew a very young woman who fell roller skating and got a clot in her leg and died).

When it's your time, it's your time. And it's not your time--- because it was caught.

Luckily, time passes, memories like this fade... and you'll be skinny soon!! Yay!! :P

Just follow your doctors orders and let them know or go to the ER if you feel different as in breathing etc... You will be fine! Prayers sent up for you!

It's a good think those docs are pro active in getting treatment for your blood clot! That was a close one. Sorry happy your be ok. :)

Dr. Kim is my doctor and I had my surgery in Dallas at Forest Park Medical Center on the 18th of this month. I had to stay an extra night because my heart rate was too high. The floor doctor thought that there may be a possiblity of having a blood clot in my lungs so they did a CT Scan on me but everything turned out fine. Buttttt the nurses had an IV in my hand and let it balloon double the size ( where my wrist bands were indenting in my arm ) and after a couple of times bugging the nurse to move it she finally did. I went home on June 21st. I had been doing okay but still was very sore on the arm with the IV and some back pain. I went for my first post-op appointment at his office in Colleyville and after talking to the PA about what was going on; they removed my staples and I did the barium swallow. After that they sent me straight to the ER at Forest Park Medical Center. It turns out that I had a blood clot in my arm that the jacked up IV was in. They think that I left the hospital with it when I had my surgery. They admitted me and I will be here for 4 days. They did an ultra sound and Doppler on my other arm and legs and also put me trough two more CT Scans...md everything else looks good. They put me on blood thinners and stuff. This was very scary for me. I am not sure why I didn't hear much ( or research ) about blood clots...I think I was more focused on having a leak in my sleeve. Anyone else have this happen to them recently? Any advice? Very scary! I felt like the perfect person for the surgery. I am healthy (despite being over weight) and I am 23 years old and very motivated! So weird and I never expected it!

OMG! I am so sorry for you. Hope you get better soon. :wub:

Girl, I am so glad you are ok! Now I was the complete opposite of you blood clots where my major concern. My doctor is very thorough when it comes to that. I received a Lovenox injection when I was first admitted and they gave more right before surgery through my IV. I was also given a 14 day prescription of Lovenox for home so I am down to my 7th injection. Best wishes and I so glad you are live and well! Happy Weight Loss!

I'm going to be sleeved with Dr. Kim at Forest Park July 9th. Did they give you a shot of heparin the stomach before your surgery? I'm very happy to hear you're ok. It pays to be aware and speak up.

Wow. What floor were you on? We were there at the same time! I liked all of my nurses except one. Anytime you get an IV, blood clots are a risk - did they give you all your shots?

I was at Forest Park on the 15th... My night nurse ignored my complaints about my iv hurting and swelling. My tech came in at the same time that my nurse was in and she immediately said my iv was infiltrated. I never even had to mention it to the tech, she just saw it. When she left the nurse tried discouraging me to take my iv out and put in a new one. Luckily my oldest daughter was with me and was insistent that it be changed. My ARM was black and blue, swollen and knotted for three weeks or more. I'm so sorry your going through this ... I'm keeping you in my prayers!

Thank you everyone for all of the sweet and kind words! I was on the third floor! They did give me the hepporon in the gut...I still have a massive gross bruise from it and they had also given me a shot in the arm (same arm that the blood clot is in & above the elbow) of the stuff. I am now on the Lowvanox and Cummadin to hopefully it get taken care of. The blood clot runs from my wrist to my elbow. Hopefully everything will go smooth but apparently it is a pretty long journey from here on out

Oh my goodness! Lots of healing prayers!