Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I found out that Dr. Sergey Lyass will be performing my VSG.

While he is based in Southern California and I am in Southern Nevada (Las Vegas Area), he apparently travels to LV to perform surgeries twice a month.

So, with that said:

I would love to hear from those who have had any kind of experience, good, bad or indifferent as it relates to Dr. Lyass.

Thanks in advance.

Dr. Lyass performed my surgery in So. Nevada as well. I have had a fantastic experience with him. Post op, I emailed him a couple of times and he was very prompt in returning my emails.

When I went in for my 3 month follow up, I had lost 40 lbs and so many people had lost 50+ and I thought I would get a lecture. Not once. He was pleased for me and gave me a hug.

Dr Lyass did my surgery in Vegas too! I had no idea we could email him our questions- that would have helped out tremendously if I had been given that information.

The Surgical Center gave me his business card with my prescriptions before I left in the morning. I figured if he gave me his card, I could email him. LOL

Did you go through Oband?

I am going through O Band, so I appreciate you sharing about having access to Dr. Lyass via email.

Just make sure they give you his business card. He was really nice. He talks fast.

I haven't been unhappy with him at all. He uses a 40 fr. bougie for the size of your sleeve. I didn't have ANY nauseau or gas pain or acid problems after surgery.

Just make sure they give you his business card. He was really nice. He talks fast.

I haven't been unhappy with him at all. He uses a 40 fr. bougie for the size of your sleeve. I didn't have ANY nauseau or gas pain or acid problems after surgery.

I have no idea what a 40 fr. bougie is, could you elaborate?

It's the size tube he uses to gauge the size of your sleeve. Alot of people on this board are 32 fr. bougie, which is a little smaller. There is a pic of the sizes, but basically it's about the diameter of a sharpie marker. I haven't had any issues with my sleeve at all, other than when it's my TOM it seems to swell and I get weird pains. Even though, Barbie says not to take advil right after surgery, I was allowed to take liquid Advil to reduce some of the inflammation.

Dr. Lyass told me that in his view, he has had more success with the 40 fr bougie and less complications. That was fine with me.

On Wednesday, I just passed my 5 month surgiversary and I can eat about 1/2 c. of food. I have pushed it a couple of times and I end up with a tummy in pain. But 4-6 oz of food is my norm.

Yep I went thru Oband on April 13th.

I am about 2 1/2 months out and can only eat about a 1/4 of a cup at this point.

what was the cost? and was it private pay? and does he take out of town patients?

The reason I went thru Oband was my insurance covered everything except for the co pays with nutritionist and psychologist and anastesiogist - total out of pocket for me was less than $300.

My friend had surgery the same time as me with Dr Hanna also in Vegas her out of pocket was higher (same ins as me) but he offers samples of Vitamins and Proteins and support groups that he personally runs every other month along with a support group ran by a bariatric nurse monthly. I've crashed his support groups because I need the extra support and follow up that he provides to his clients.

With Oband I feel like most of my support has been on here and with dr hanna's two support group meetings - however Oband is trying to increase their support they did have one support group meeting since I've been sleeved and were talking about having more. I can ask them if they will have another when I go in for 3 mos check up on the 20th. If there was more follow up and support with o band I'd recommend them again and again just on price alone but I definitely need the extra live in person support! An example if this is I was having sharp pains 2 mos out and called Oband but dr Lyass was not in and neither was his coordinator - the girl who answered the phone did not know when dr lyass would be back in and I didn't hear back from the coordinator on the message I left her and it was Friday so I went to the er close to my house since they have a bariatric center of excellence rating.

As for the self pay question Dr Hanna and Oband both will take self pays as well. I had a friend that also did self pay with dr Hanna. Both My friends loves dr Hanna and since he is here in town all the time it isn't hard to make an appointment to see him at any time. With Oband u don't meet the surgeon dr lyass until the day of the surgery since he is from LA and then you see him again at your 1 week and 3 mos checkup. So I guess it just depends on how much follow up you want. If u just want low cost in and out Oband is the way to go! :)

Two more question if you don't mind:

1. Does Dr. Lyass use drains? If so, what was your experience like?

2. Does Dr. Lyass prescribe blood thinner injections post surgery?

Thank you.

I had my surgery with Dr. Lyass on June 7th. It was through my private PPO insurance at cedars sinai in los angeles. So far so good, losing kinda slow 15 lbs so far. My only problem is that I am still unable to take Vitamins since they make me sick :(

Oh and I did not have drains, and did have blood thinner shots at the hospital

Oh and I did not have drains' date=' and did have blood thinner shots at the hospital[/quote']

Same with me