Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help Me Decide: Dr. Kelly Or Dr. Garcia? Anyone Have Any Input?

July 11. Right around the corner. So excited!

July 11. Right around the corner. So excited!

You will do great & have a wonderful time. Dr Kelly & his team really take care of you!

I will second that Cissie was awesome. :)

Congrats Joyv on making a decision and it being so soon!!

I have yet to have my surgery so maybe I should keep my mouth closed, but it is so very disapointing and discouraging to see posts like this....

If you read in the 50's thread, Kat just got home from surgery with Dr. Garcia and has a horrible infection in her incisions. She has to have them drained and packed every day.

I am sure all doctors have problems, but I thought you would like to be aware of this. I know I would if I were in the stage of choosing a surgeon.

Yes, I do understand that the process of chosing can be overwhelming...I was there just a few wks ago myself. And I am also very, very sorry that this person is going through what she is (I did read the post) but honestly to even bring the Dr.'s name in to it is not necessary. When reading the posts it was as if you could not WAIT to find out the doctors name so you could post this complication everywhere possible.

Suppose she had gone to Dr. Aceves....I wonder if we would see the same from you? Yes, its horrible but it an infection......probably one of the most common complications of surgery. I am pretty sure that when you agree to surgery of ANY kind no matter what it is or where it is you sign forms that make you aware that infection can be a complication of surgery. I am very curious to find out if Dr. Aceves, Kelly or Alvarez have ever had anyone in the history of their practice end up with an infection.

Also, I am not so sure about it being because of "lack of medical care". I did extensive research on Dr. Garcia talking to numerous people that used him, internet research, talking with a coordinator and the dr himself before I decided. This truly is the FIRST complication I have seen with one of his patients. I am sure he has had them, just as any other surgeon on the face of the earth....but its the first I have found in all of my research. Not to say it is the fault of the patient, but honestly if I had not had anyone come check on me in 2 days after surgery....I would have asked about it and made sure someone did. I will not be leaving the hospital without knowing how to take care of my incisions, whether they initiate it or not....honestly, Ive had to take control of my own healthcare at hospitals here in the US as far as making sure the nurses do what they are supposed to do.

So, I guess my point is if I had known about this infection before I chose Garcia...I would still chose him and still be happy with my decision. It just disappoints me to see someone asking to help them decide between 2 very reputable doctors and a complication that can NOT be proven to be the Dr. or hospitals fault get thrown in.

I am sure she will be happy with Dr. Kelly and in the end it is her decision just as everyone elses....but I just had to share my piece I guess. Sometimes, I feel we are on the playground in elementary....

Congrats Joyv on making a decision and it being so soon!!

I have yet to have my surgery so maybe I should keep my mouth closed' date=' but it is so very disapointing and discouraging to see posts like this....

Yes, I do understand that the process of chosing can be overwhelming...I was there just a few wks ago myself. And I am also very, very sorry that this person is going through what she is (I did read the post) but honestly to even bring the Dr.'s name in to it is not necessary. When reading the posts it was as if you could not WAIT to find out the doctors name so you could post this complication everywhere possible.

Suppose she had gone to Dr. Aceves....I wonder if we would see the same from you? Yes, its horrible but it an infection......probably one of the most common complications of surgery. I am pretty sure that when you agree to surgery of ANY kind no matter what it is or where it is you sign forms that make you aware that infection can be a complication of surgery. I am very curious to find out if Dr. Aceves, Kelly or Alvarez have ever had anyone in the history of their practice end up with an infection.

Also, I am not so sure about it being because of "lack of medical care". I did extensive research on Dr. Garcia talking to numerous people that used him, internet research, talking with a coordinator and the dr himself before I decided. This truly is the FIRST complication I have seen with one of his patients. I am sure he has had them, just as any other surgeon on the face of the earth....but its the first I have found in all of my research. Not to say it is the fault of the patient, but honestly if I had not had anyone come check on me in 2 days after surgery....I would have asked about it and made sure someone did. I will not be leaving the hospital without knowing how to take care of my incisions, whether they initiate it or not....honestly, Ive had to take control of my own healthcare at hospitals here in the US as far as making sure the nurses do what they are supposed to do.

So, I guess my point is if I had known about this infection before I chose Garcia...I would still chose him and still be happy with my decision. It just disappoints me to see someone asking to help them decide between 2 very reputable doctors and a complication that can NOT be proven to be the Dr. or hospitals fault get thrown in.

I am sure she will be happy with Dr. Kelly and in the end it is her decision just as everyone elses....but I just had to share my piece I guess. Sometimes, I feel we are on the playground in elementary....[/quote']

Could not have said it better myself. I am having surgery on July 2 with Dr. Garcia. I kind of let the whole ordeal about the person with infected incisions freak me out. But I regrouped and knew I had done extensive research on all the doctors I was looking at. I am still confident in my choice and have no hesitation whatsoever.

Could not have said it better myself. I am having surgery on July 2 with Dr. Garcia. I kind of let the whole ordeal about the person with infected incisions freak me out. But I regrouped and knew I had done extensive research on all the doctors I was looking at. I am still confident in my choice and have no hesitation whatsoever.

AMEN!!!!

I'm so very glad you said this! I too am having surgery with Dr. Garcia on July 9th and had allowed myself to get freaked out to the point I was questioning my decision. My decision was based on tons of research from people I know as well people here on the boards. But I've decided I'm not changing my mind and I won't allow myself to be sucked into that mess again. You're exactly right, it could have been any country, any hospital, or any doctor that you could develop an infection from. Thank you so, so much!

This CAN happen wherever we decide to go,and that is a risk we take Im just wondering why the Dr, coordinator anyone didnt follw up with this patient. So scared and Im scheduled the 12th of July..

This CAN happen wherever we decide to go,and that is a risk we take Im just wondering why the Dr, coordinator anyone didnt follw up with this patient. So scared and Im scheduled the 12th of July..

See, that is what I think is kind of strange about it all. Again, want to make it clear that I am very sorry that this patient has had such a horrible experience and is going through this. And again, have not had my own personal experience with being at the hospital but I have had my personal experience with Dr. Garcia, his coordinators AND one of his assistants there at the hospital in TJ and I have always had a very prompt and competent response.

If I have a question, I can count on Melissa getting back to me usually within an hour. She is the one that is supposed to be there for us, taking care of things at the hospital and Rosie (I believe) is supposed to be at the hotel. I have heard nothing but GLOWING reports about the staff of Dr. Garcia and how well they were treated. So, to hear of the infection and know that unfortunately that is a risk we take in having surgery is one thing. But, to say it is because of lack of care is another.

When doing research on the internet my strategy is to read as much info from as many sources as possible. Believing more so what I hear that is consistent (whether it is good or bad) because everything will have a little truth to it even if some of it is elaborated. So, when I hear this compared to everything else that is positive I am able to just shrug my shoulders and not let it affect my decision or make me worry about safety with Garcia.

There is also a point where we have to be responsible for our own choice and care. I mean, as I said before...not "blaming" the patient by any means but her post stated nobody checked on her or showed her how to take care of her incisions (maybe not verbatum). As we all know, this surgery or any for that matter should not be taken lightly and you should be ready to not walk out of the hospital, the hotel and get on that plan until every one of your questions no matter how small are answered. I mean, this is your life we are talking about.

Anyway, point it - those of you that have surgery scheduled with Garcia....of course nobody can guarantee everything will go without a hitch but I think there is enough genuine, positive, detailed info and experience out there and on here to feel at peace with our decision. We chose him for a reason and this one incident shouldnt change that for us.

Good luck to all of you in July - I will be followig you...cant wait to hear your experience!

I could not have said it better myself Made2beme.

I had surgery with Dr. Garcia and the care was outstanding in the hospital and out.

okay! Dr. Kelly it is! Just emailed Omar... all booked.

Yikes.' date=' nervous and excited.[/quote']

JoyV--- congratulations! I fly out Sunday and have my surgery July 2nd with Dr.Kelly.

Sent from my iPad using VST

JoyV--- congratulations! I fly out Sunday and have my surgery July 2nd with Dr.Kelly.

Good luck to you! You are in great hands with Dr Kelly!

Good luck to you! You are in great hands with Dr Kelly!

Thank you. We are here at the hospital!