Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Months Out And No More Meds (Diabetes Is Gone)

I will be four months post op on Friday of this week. I was approved for diabetes. For the past five years it's been impossible to control. In addition all the insulin I had to take made it impossible to lose weight. Prior to surgery my AC1 was 12. I went to get blood work yesterday and my doctor called this morning to say it's 6.5. I am so excited. Because my diabetes was so resistant they thought it would take awhile to get off my meds. Also they really pushed for me to do the bypass because of it's success rate with diabetes. I am so happy for my sleeve and realize it only gets better from here!!! I've been stalled at 202 for three weeks now but honestly this is just another reminder that the scale really doesn't matter.

The first picture shows the night before surgery, six weeks out, 3 months out and yesterday. Not a huge difference between the last two I've been stalled most of this month but I feel great and I can jog now lol.

post-21865-13813659074172_thumb.jpg

post-21865-13813659074636_thumb.jpg

Congratulations. I am so hoping this will happen for me as well. My dad was a non compliant diabetic and I spent 3 years watching him die by inches. Diabetes always seems to win in the end, no matter how compliant we are. Good fortune on the rest of your journey.

Robbie

Congratulations on your improved health! You are looking great already!

Yay!! That's great!!!

Congratulations. I am so hoping this will happen for me too!!!

Congratulations!! You are looking fab!! My husband was a brittle diabetic, on six different medications to try to control it (and it wasn't working)--went home from the sleeve surgery on no diabetes meds. His blood sugar almost immediately was 100% normal, and he has been off all meds for two years now. I consider it a miracle and I'm so grateful I get to keep him longer. That's partly why I eventually made the decision to have the sleeve--diabetes runs in my family, and I was certainly heading there in baby steps, but my sleeve saved me from that fate, too.

Keep up the great work!!

Wow, you look amazing, keep up the good work!

Thanks guys. I feel awesome. I have so much energy and I'm not waking up ten times a night to go to the bathroom. Anyone who had a hard case of diabetes knows how frustrating it is to try to keep your numbers in a normal range. This was more important then losing the weight. Now I have a much better chance of having a happy future.

Congratulations!! My blood sugar numbers have been great since surgery. I was diagnosed diabetic type II last summer and it scared the crap out of me. It's on BOTH sides of my family, my Mom and Uncle on my Dad's side. My Mom was diabetic diagnosed in her early 30's and then so was I! I was so scared! My Mom did die of diabetes related complications that caused her to get kidney failure and cancer at the same time right after my sleeve surgery. She died at 54 years old. It was a sad reminder of why I got sleeve surgery. . Diabetes is deadly and real.

I will always eat like a diabetic even though I'm in remission. I know it can come back if old eating habits of sugary/carby foods comes back in and so that will always keep me in check. I wish you all of the very best in your sleeve journey and keeping the diabetes GONE for GOOD!

I will be four months post op on Friday of this week. I was approved for diabetes. For the past five years it's been impossible to control. In addition all the insulin I had to take made it impossible to lose weight. Prior to surgery my AC1 was 12. I went to get blood work yesterday and my doctor called this morning to say it's 6.5. I am so excited. Because my diabetes was so resistant they thought it would take awhile to get off my meds. Also they really pushed for me to do the bypass because of it's success rate with diabetes. I am so happy for my sleeve and realize it only gets better from here!!! I've been stalled at 202 for three weeks now but honestly this is just another reminder that the scale really doesn't matter.

The first picture shows the night before surgery' date=' six weeks out, 3 months out and yesterday. Not a huge difference between the last two I've been stalled most of this month but I feel great and I can jog now lol.[/quote']

AMAZING ! You look great !

Thanks guys. The crazy thing is the sugar cravings are gone. Not sure if anyone ever experienced that intense feeling to have anything sweet.

Congratulations!! You are looking fab!! My husband was a brittle diabetic, on six different medications to try to control it (and it wasn't working)--went home from the sleeve surgery on no diabetes meds. His blood sugar almost immediately was 100% normal, and he has been off all meds for two years now. I consider it a miracle and I'm so grateful I get to keep him longer. That's partly why I eventually made the decision to have the sleeve--diabetes runs in my family, and I was certainly heading there in baby steps, but my sleeve saved me from that fate, too.

Keep up the great work!!

My father is also a diabetic (not very compliant, unfortunately, but heck he's 84 now and I figure if he wants some sweets at his age, he should have it!). He also has hypertension, and my mother had breast and lung cancer. I am a train wreck waiting to happen! Or at least I was.....now with my sleeve, I think I have a fighting chance to stave off a lot of these impending health disasters (I hope!).

The best NSVs ever, in my books!

Wow you look great. Congrats on the meds. Keep up the good work. I also found my doctor pushing the bypass, he insisted it was the "gold standard". But I wouldn't give in, I'm loving my sleeve.

I completely understand my dad is a diabetic and my mom is a breast cancer survivor. That's why when everyone asked about getting sick from my sleeve I responded can it be any worse then kidney failure? That's the way my diabetes was going. I see most people left the hospital off of their medications. When I left the hospital I had numbers in the 200s. I was also on two different insulins so it feels so great not to have to take anything. I know the diabetes will always be there but my sleeve makes eating so much easier. Good luck everyone