Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wheezy Whispers-AKA September's Goals

Hey Wheezy, it was you who got that 'weight loss surgery cookbook" wasn't it? How it it? and if it's any good, what's it called? Putting in an order to Amazon tonight! :)

It's called Living and Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery. It has 100 recipes. It's geared mostly for after gastric bypass surgery. The recipes are high Protein, low fat and low carbs. Carbs. are not tolerated well after gastric bypass so anything that is sweet is sweetened with artificial sweeteners. Not sure that this is the book for us.

So probably any 'healthy' eatin' recipe would be good for us... just a matter of not eating as much as the normal person would eat. Oh well!

That sounds like a drag. Has anyone else had trouble finding the port. God mine almost sticks out. He placed it right where my bra lands in a sit down position. Big melons here. It is rather uncomfortable.

Plenty of people have had trouble with fills. You are lucky that it's easy to find. Some people need to have fills done by fluro.

So probably any 'healthy' eatin' recipe would be good for us... just a matter of not eating as much as the normal person would eat. Oh well!

Yeah, I believe this but with some modifications. I'm searching for the answer.

So I need to tell you all about my fill in Ottawa 2 weeks ago. The Doc was just back from sick leave again. He had trouble getting the port (last time he got it first try). When he was finished I asked him if there was a total of 2.1 ccs, he said he didn't know because he only had a 1 cc syringe. I thought what the f..... wasn't he supposed to pull the proper syringe back and determine whether or not I had the right amount of fill ???? Anyhooo he then told me that I should call and make another appointment within the month and he would do the fill with ultrasound at the hospital. I thought "isn't it up to me when I need a fill??? depending on how I feel and the weight loss....And then he tells his receptionist to only charge me $50 instead of his usual $75. I'm thinking WHTF???? Was he or was he not successful in doing the fill???? Did I take a day off work and spend $50 bucks for nothing so that I could avoid the 12 hour return trip to Mississauga.

Moral of the story....I made an appointment in Mississauga on the 18th of May to have another fill.

Wow, what a pain in the ass! You should be sure to tell Dr. Cobourn (or were you done by Dr. M?) about this crap, so they can make sure that these people who are reflecting on the SWLC don't continue to pull this sh!t.

So I take it you're not feelin' too much from the fill?

Did the fill work? Are you feeling more restriction? Maybe wait and see if you do need another fill so soon. Hope you didn't waste your money. I feel really bad that you out of towners pay the same for the surgery and then get stuck with all these extra costs for the fill. Seems a bit unfair as my fills are free cuz i'm local.

Did the fill work? Are you feeling more restriction? Maybe wait and see if you do need another fill so soon. Hope you didn't waste your money. I feel really bad that you out of towners pay the same for the surgery and then get stuck with all these extra costs for the fill. Seems a bit unfair as my fills are free cuz i'm local.

That chaps my ass too, although it looks like they will be covering fills here in AB. It was on the front page of the Calagry Herald that they are doing 100 more bands in Calgary, right after I paid for mine.

Andrew

To answer Mandi's and Donna's question, I don't feel different than I did after the supposed fill. So yeah, I wasted $50 but more importantly a day off work I could of used to do something fun!!!:faint:

;):) :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose:

Happy Mother's Day

Wheezy, I don't ever recall gettin' the full dish on you! I think I recall talk of you having kids... how many, how old.... tell us stuff about you!

And yes, that's definitely irritating about the fill.

Andrew, I hear ya. I don't even want to follow the state of WLS coverage anymore, for fear of hearing things like that. I can guarantee though, the wait would STILL be years, and now that it's made front page news, it's only gonna get worse. You know there's TONS of people who had no clue that the lapband even existed, and now they do, and it's covered, they're gonna be alllll over it. You made the right choice. Just like me. Right? :eek: Right!?

:mad:

I have to say I was a little .... not sure of a word to fit the feeling... a bit sad a bit depressed a bit why does that always happen...lol when I heard about the bands that will be done here/ Calgary but then I remembered all those people will have to go through the weight wise program first and that can be a bout a year... or more start to finish. I am glad I am getting my band done at the end of the month and note waiting for even 6 months! Some things are worth paying for!

I have mixed emotions about the additional bands that are being paid for here in Alberta.

On the one hand I am a little bit jealous. I am pretty sure I could have been one of those people as I was about to be admitted to the clinic. I found this out the week that I got back from TO after my surgery and was more than within thier guidelines. Bad timing I guess. I am still looking at the loan that I took out for the surgery, and I wish that I did not have that.

On the other hand, I am glad that there will be people who will have the benefit of this surgery. I dont have to tell you all that it has the ability to change the lives of those who embrace it and work the band to thier benefit.

I still think that I have a bit of an edge having paid for it myself in that I am accountable to me and my families finances. If I screw this up, I am not just taking the money out of the government coffers, but I am taking out of the mouth/retirement funds of my household. I cannot, and I will not pay for this suregery in vain.

Also, I have to remind myself that I could not have waited for something like this to come along. I could not have know about it, and for every year that I would have had to wait for the band, I am confident that would have been an additional year off the end of my life.

I am not bitter, just a little frustrated.

Andrew

I hear ya Andrew but believe me just because you read it in the Calgary Herald and just because you were about to be admitted to the clinic does not mean you would have had your lapband surgery anytime soon in AB. You still would have had to have been assessed, go thru the 6 month "diet program" as if... and then you would have been placed on another waitlist for surgery. I wonder who they are going to have do these surgeries since the Health Region has problems with OR time and staff. Anyway... we are the lucky ones! Sure we paid $16K for excellent service (by the way I paid much more than that for my car) and sure, there are people who are having it covered by the gov't but you know what... life's too short to wait - your family and your well-being is much more important!

Just a side note... I went with my mother yesterday to see a surgeon about a hip replacement and it was a scary series of errors. The staff are all running around like chickens with their heads cut off, complaining about too much work and not enough time, etc., etc. When the nurse finally came into the room an hour after the doctor had left, it was like starting from scratch, she didn't know which end was up. I finally said to my mother she better make sure she tells the surgeon and OR staff just before the operation which hip it is and that it's only a hip replacement or they might aputate something. Gawd, it was like night and day, between the experience I had and she's having. You could not pay me enough to go thru the regular helath region for surgery. Like I said we are the lucky ones - the fee payers! Just my opinion.