Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Is The Best Time To Buy New Clothes?

Hi Everyone

To my understanding the amount of weight a person loses after VST varies depending on many reasons from diet to genetics, but just wanted to ask (generally) when you began buying new clothes?

I'm coming 2months post-op and feel that my clothes are getting very loose and baggy, however I'm apprehensive to buy new clothes at the moment because I might lose even more weight at perhaps 4 months?

So would like to ask those who have had VST, when did you notice the weight loss stop?

Or which month you noticed the most significant weight loss ?

Thank You

This is a very hard question to answer because everyone is different.

The best thing to do is hit up the consignment shops, good will, garage sales, and clearance sales. You find find some really great deals at places like this.

When you get close to your goal, then you might want to invest in some things on sale. You'll be able to tell how much more you want to lose, in comparison to what you want to wear.

men do tend to lose much quicker than women, and how much you exercise will make a difference too.

When you find that your body is small and your clothes are big.

*I'm in a smart ass mood. :) (insomnia)

Nice ~! ;)

Yeah.. I know it's kinda hard to say when the best time to change clothes is ....

also depends on the clothes and fashion we wear ... kinda like saying "if you're into baggy jeans... you'll never have to change". :)

lol...

But was hoping to hear from other's experience when they felt their most significant weight loss occur as well. Were the innital 10 pounds after the surgery the most you've lost ... because ... well ... we could hardly eat anything....

or did the weight loss peak at say ... 5 months and begin to stabilise ?

Congrats on your weight loss!

I've heard a few support groups have clothing exchange. If not, buy a few pair of jeans/shorts and several shirts. Maybe this can hold you over for a few more months. Through month 4-5...

I know you'll feel good shopping! I can't wait until I'm shopping!

That was a good one!!

Nice ~! ;)

Yeah.. I know it's kinda hard to say when the best time to change clothes is ....

also depends on the clothes and fashion we wear ... kinda like saying "if you're into baggy jeans... you'll never have to change". :)

lol...

But was hoping to hear from other's experience when they felt their most significant weight loss occur as well. Were the innital 10 pounds after the surgery the most you've lost ... because ... well ... we could hardly eat anything....

or did the weight loss peak at say ... 5 months and begin to stabilise ?

I bought clothes when I realized I couldn't walk around naked no matter how much I lost. 6 mos out and my wt loss is slowed to a few lbs every 2 weeks.the difference btwn smaller sizes isn't that great. I just haven't bought a full wardrobe...just a few things til the next big drop.

At over 100 pounds lost, I have bought a pair of jeans for every other size change and I buy two pair of work slacks for each size change (black and brown). I wear work out clothes until I feel like I'm in danger of them falling off me, but then I have to buy several sets because I don't want to wash them every single day. Usually I buy work out pants/shorts and let the shirts just get bigger. I do buy that absolute smallest size I can get on my body because I know they'll be big quickly.

I would say that around 6 to 7 months is when I started really buying clothes, thinking that the weight loss has slowed down a lot. However, my size is now changing faster than my weight on the scale, so be careful about spending big money on anything.

I think it depends on if you're working or not too. I wasn't working when I lost my 1st 20lbs so I didnt care that my clothes were really big. Once I got a job though, I bought 2 pair of pants, one pr 1 size smaller and 1 was 2 sizes smaller than I used to wear and a couple shirts. Thats all I wanted to invest in just in case :). I agree with Lissa on work out clothes. Even though I wouldn't normally wear anything even remotely tight, my work out pants are because I don't want to have to keep buying them. For work out tops though, I just end up wearing my regular shirts that are too big now, lol.

I bought new (used) clothes when I literally couldn't wear my old clothes. I actually made do with what I had for the most part until I lost 60 lbs. That number was big for me... I dropped sizes like crazy afterwards. To buy a whole new wardrobe I would wait until you were at or much closer to goal. I only buy the bare minimum right now, just in case I do switch sizes.

Well I'm current 2.5 months out and I'm 60 pounds down from my highest weight. I couldn't do it any more, my clothes were goofy looking on me already. So I went to tj max and put a few things on lay a way. I choose stuff that were a size smaller. The important thing is to pick stuff that is versatile and can be worn if it's a little big.

So far I'm still working on the clothes that I had stored away (sizes 12-22!) but I've found that past the first size or two, I really couldn't get away with not moving into the next size of clothes every 3-6 weeks. Everything just looks huge on me otherwise - sometimes the same thing that fit perfectly a week or two earlier, literally. On the other hand, I can't how I would have managed to keep up with my changing sizes if I hadn't had all those clothes - OK, truth is that there's no way I would have bought all those clothes. As it is there are things that I only managed to wear 2 or 3 times before I moved on to the next size or even half size. So it's really hard for me to tell you what to do - I will say that if you're anything like me, you will feel much better in clothes that fit properly.

I work at a bank so I have to look professional. When I start looking dumpy in my clothes, I will buy a few things here and there. I do have a few smaller items I kept to hopefully get back into. That day will be soon!!

Hi Everyone

To my understanding the amount of weight a person loses after VST varies depending on many reasons from diet to genetics, but just wanted to ask (generally) when you began buying new clothes?

I'm coming 2months post-op and feel that my clothes are getting very loose and baggy, however I'm apprehensive to buy new clothes at the moment because I might lose even more weight at perhaps 4 months?

So would like to ask those who have had VST, when did you notice the weight loss stop?

Or which month you noticed the most significant weight loss ?

Thank You

Personally, it does depend on your lifestyle and your wardrobe needs.

I am not working and have spent all summer in the pool, so as long as I have a bathing suit that fits, I am happy.

I am returning to the workforce so to prepare I am getting some things altered, buying some new (mostly sales and inexpensive basics), and will probably get some clothes made.

I have a long way to go so anticipate this is going to be a constant process for a while since my body is a moving target.

I don't intend on buying anything unless I have lost 75% of what I want to lose. It's different if one has an office job. I can get away with wearing my baggy scrubs for now.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Yes it's really your call. It depends on your style and the way you like your clothes to fit. I have always worn my clothes a little on the snug side. Like one size too small almost-- so the little weight I have started losing, I'm actually now fitting my clothes the way they should've fit all along. (Too big for me-- but not to the rest of the world) Then I have stuff I haven't been able to wear in about a year so I've been pulling that stuff back out and incorporating it into my wardrobe. I work in a office setting, and it was easier when I wore scrubs in the hospital. Therefore I will probably purchase some basic black slacks for the fall and luckily I can wear jeans which are a staple in my wardrobe. So basically a few button up shirts with the stretch material will take me a long way, blazers, sweaters, knits tops etc should easily get me through the fall and winter.

I save ALOT on food now. I was spending an average of $100 a week just on myself! I would dine out often, or go for drinks or just dessert at a swanky spot so some weeks I spent more, some less. So now I've been putting a little away towards the wardrobe replenishment fund to purchase pieces here and there for when I need them.