Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fatigue & Weakness ....

Hi everyone ! I was sleeved June 11th & seem to be doing pretty well except for some serious fatigue & weakness . I just barely got through my shower today without being completely drained ! Especially after using my arms above my head to wash my hair ! I had to get out & rest & catch my breath before I could even dry off ? Is this normal ? Does it eventually go away ? And how long does it usually take gain your strength back ?

Omg I was sleeved on the 12th and can only take a shower... Everything wipes me out! I have zero energy. I feel like my personality and life has been sucked from me! I try sipping Water and drinking protien, but just can't seem to get any energy or be happy for that matter. I am hoping this will pass for us quickly! Stay strong!

I know someone having the same problem, but I don't know what advice to give, because i have not had this problem. I'm hoping you'll get some good insights on this post....

:unsure:

Yes, it's normal. Yes, it does get better. It does take a while though. My B12 & Iron levels were low before surgery, so I take them daily & the B12 really helps. However, it will normally take at least a week or two for most people that I've seen to be able to do more without being tired. It took me about a week to be able to do showers & stuff like that without being tired, and longer to do other things. I'm 5 weeks out today & still take one nap usually, but there was a time I was taking 2 naps and going to bed early. You need to remember that you just had major surgery and your body is going to need time to heal and adjust to everything! Hang in there! It does get better. Just try to get your fluids & Protein in & take supplements as needed too. I can tell a difference if I forget my B12 for a day or two now!

Omg I was sleeved on the 12th and can only take a shower... Everything wipes me out! I have zero energy. I feel like my personality and life has been sucked from me! I try sipping Water and drinking protien' date=' but just can't seem to get any energy or be happy for that matter. I am hoping this will pass for us quickly! Stay strong![/quote']

Thank you so much for this ! I thought I was the only one feeling so fatigued ! Your right it feels as though it's just sucked my "life force" right outta me ! I keep reading where ppl are up walking a mile a day , shopping & going out ! I'm thinking what's wrong with me ? I can barely shower ??? I can't wait until this stage is over . I'm just barely getting all my liquids in & not very much Protein . Maybe that's problem ?

I have the same thing too - I was sleeved on June 4th. My morning shower does drain the life out of me but I get dressed and try to do a little more each day. I have been getting in my Protein and now that I can take in pureed I'm hoping that it will give me a little more energy.

Yes' date=' it's normal. Yes, it does get better. It does take a while though. My B12 & Iron levels were low before surgery, so I take them daily & the B12 really helps. However, it will normally take at least a week or two for most people that I've seen to be able to do more without being tired. It took me about a week to be able to do showers & stuff like that without being tired, and longer to do other things. I'm 5 weeks out today & still take one nap usually, but there was a time I was taking 2 naps and going to bed early. You need to remember that you just had major surgery and your body is going to need time to heal and adjust to everything! Hang in there! It does get better. Just try to get your fluids & Protein in & take supplements as needed too. I can tell a difference if I forget my B12 for a day or two now![/quote']

Thank you ! This has helped me immensely :)

It is normal to some extent but one thing that will help you is DRINK DRINK DRINK the more fuilds you have the better you will feel. Try G2 or pedylite.

I was sleeved June 4th. I take a shower and I sit on the toilet seat to dry off and blow dry my hair. I relax in between each thing. I did great yesterday, went to my parents and today, I cannot drive yet even. Today I showered and I was so tired, but I knew I had to go to the store. I went to the store and I was nervous because my stomach would grumble and I was worried I would have to go potty, I was worried about people running into me with the cart, and I can barely hold my head up right now. I am tired. I have good days and bad days, and I have had a nap every day except one.

I know there are many posts by people doing great, and it's wonderful that other's are doing good and it makes me honestly happy for them, I just make sure I remember no two are alike and we all went through major surgery and some of had more adhesions, hernia's, complications, some of us have diabetes, and other chronic issues that will make healing a little more difficult, sometimes our age has something to do with it.

Give yourself at least a month and 1/2 to recuperate. I have a sister in law that's in her early 30's, very healthy, very fit, and she had hernia surgery, that's it - hernia surgery and it took her over 2 months to not feel completely exhausted all the time and for the pain to go away and even six months later still would deal with some numbness and weird issues on her belly. She actually jealous I'm doing so good, and she doesn't even know that I got the sleeve, she only knows about the hernia surgery and adhesions!!

No two are alike, but I can tell you what you feel is completely normal. Vitamin B I have forgotten in two days in a row...duh....thanks for the reminder

What about being fatigued and worn out just from the pre-op diet? I can barely pull my underwear up! I know I need to walk some more but I literally am bone tired...any help?

debellafunk is right!!! Try a G2, Powerade or Pedialyte!! When I was feeling tired I sipped an entire bottle and felt better within the hour..... You need to make sure you are hydrating yourself and getting some nourishment!!

Good Luck!

Thank you so much for this ! I thought I was the only one feeling so fatigued ! Your right it feels as though it's just sucked my "life force" right outta me ! I keep reading where ppl are up walking a mile a day , shopping & going out ! I'm thinking what's wrong with me ? I can barely shower ??? I can't wait until this stage is over . I'm just barely getting all my liquids in & not very much Protein . Maybe that's problem ?

I totally agree with that! I had my surgery on the 12th. I am doing good just to walk 10 minutes outside when I can. I did it this morning and it was SO stinkin' hot out already, it about made me pass out. I have decided to do my best in getting in my Protein shakes (even though the thought of them makes me want to HURL!) and getting my Water. I am on my 3rd glass of Water today. I have also had 2 Protein Shakes. I am not spasming with every drink anymore so that is a good thing. I am worried that I am drinking too fast and will stretch out my stomach. Is that possible w/ just liquids?

They are right. Get that Protein in and the low sugar G2 really helped me feel better. I take Vitamins in the morning and when I get home from work. On top of that I take a sublingual B12 with folic acid. It really helps. I was up walking after surgery, but I was not winning any marathons either!!! It gets better. Hang in there.

Hey I was sleeved on 28 of May and I feel so drained! I have to admit I don't eat like I should I mean I just don't have an appetite! Just wondering how do you force yourself to eat?

I really didn't want those Protein Shakes today, but I basically just forced myself to drink them.