Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Read And Help!

I had the sleeve done 4-12, and had lots of complications. My dr didn't check for leaks before hosp discharge and I was back in a week to ER. They gave me fld and the next day dr to me I had a spleen infarction and sent me home. The next week I was back in ER very sick. For 3 days the dr and radiologist argues if it was a leak or pneumonia, finally deciding both. They placed a drain in and doing so they punctured my lung. The next day they put in a chest tube to re-inflate my lung, but in doing so they drug infection from the leak into my Lung and caused an encapsulated pneumonia. I ended up having a thorancotomy (decortication) leaving me with 2 chest tubes, feeding me with TPN, and in hosp for 25 days! Well, now I'm out of hosp, been out 3 weeks and I had a EGD and he clamped a "ulcer/pocket" 2 weeks ago and I am suppost to pass this clamp in a few weeks. Anyway... I am so nauseated and weak. Every time I eat anything I sweat profusely and I can only get a few bites down. Is this sweating reaction normal? I know I said a lot to get here. But I don't know if my body is still sick, or if this is a normal reaction in the beginning of the sleeve process. I really want to get a second opinion. Any response will be appreciated, thanks.

I am just a few weeks behind you and I still feel weak. I sometimes get nausea depending on what I eat. I would think your body has been through so much you have a lot to recover from. This would definitely cause weakness. I am sorry I don't have more information to give you. Are you able to take your Vitamins like some B12 for more energy? Did they actually repair the leak?

Wow. :blink: You poor child. I will pray for you.

Even if I had heard something similar or had any inklings, I think it would be irresponsible of me to dispense any opinions on such a serious condition. I hope someone has a concrete answer. Is there a nearby surgeon or doc that would see you for a second opinion?

I think maybe I'd find a new doctor / surgeon.. and call a lawyer. Sounds to me like there were mistakes done in your care. I think it is extremely clumsy that they punctured your lung doing a routine procedure - that just doesn't sit right with me, and I'd run far away from that hospital - can you share which hospital - so I know never to go there?

I really hope you get past this and will be praying for you, my wife had a similar situation with a kidney stone - it was one of the smallest the doctor ever saw, yet almost killed her when she got septic and because of her septicemia she still feels sluggish and fatigued two years later.

I read that trauma to your system like that can cause issues like Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia.. so be careful, and hang in there.

I am with Patrick. This sounds dreadful. You also need to get back to the doctor to assess whether you still have infection or a possible leak elsewhere (causing sweats). On the other hand your tummy is obviously still healing after such a terrible time, so that may be the cause. Please get another opinion!

Well, I hate to say it but the hospital is where I work! The hospital isn't at fault, but the dr is. While I was there I think other fellow nurses wanted to say run from him, but couldn't because they work there, too. I know I need to call a lawyer, but I have to still see this dr until I get better, if I see another one it will be out of network and at my expense. I forgot to tell you the worst part. When I was questing him about my symptoms, he said ( and I quote)" this procedure was your choice darling." I really just wanted to know if anyone experienced sweating when they ate.

Well, I hate to say it but the hospital is where I work! The hospital isn't at fault, but the dr is. While I was there I think other fellow nurses wanted to say run from him, but couldn't because they work there, too. I know I need to call a lawyer, but I have to still see this dr until I get better, if I see another one it will be out of network and at my expense. I forgot to tell you the worst part. When I was questing him about my symptoms, he said ( and I quote)" this procedure was your choice darling." I really just wanted to know if anyone experienced sweating when they ate.

Did you tell him " You got paid to do it right, darling?". That is very unprofessional of him. I cannot believe a bariatric doctor would act like that. Can you report his behavior and demeaner to someone in your insurance company anonymously?

To answer your question I have never broke into a sweat while eating.

Nope no sweating when I eat either - although I think it does happen when people "dump". Your doctor really sounds like an ass.

You need to get your latest performance review pre surgery tucked away somewhere...and get a lawyer...your lawyer needs to "do his thing" and start getting this resolved...emails only with everyone from now on, including your interoffice HR.

Contact your state medical board, with a timline, names, etc (get and keep full medical records, that include doctors notes taken at time of treatments).

You also need to see if you were treated differently than his regular clients.

What doctor did you use?

I had the sleeve done 4-12, and had lots of complications. My dr didn't check for leaks before hosp discharge and I was back in a week to ER. They gave me fld and the next day dr to me I had a spleen infarction and sent me home. The next week I was back in ER very sick. For 3 days the dr and radiologist argues if it was a leak or pneumonia, finally deciding both. They placed a drain in and doing so they punctured my lung. The next day they put in a chest tube to re-inflate my lung, but in doing so they drug infection from the leak into my Lung and caused an encapsulated pneumonia. I ended up having a thorancotomy (decortication) leaving me with 2 chest tubes, feeding me with TPN, and in hosp for 25 days! Well, now I'm out of hosp, been out 3 weeks and I had a EGD and he clamped a "ulcer/pocket" 2 weeks ago and I am suppost to pass this clamp in a few weeks. Anyway... I am so nauseated and weak. Every time I eat anything I sweat profusely and I can only get a few bites down. Is this sweating reaction normal? I know I said a lot to get here. But I don't know if my body is still sick, or if this is a normal reaction in the beginning of the sleeve process. I really want to get a second opinion. Any response will be appreciated, thanks.

Prayers going out to you!! Do what you have to do, and in agreement with Patrick and Pookeyism - Seek a new Dr, second opinions and if you have to seek legal advice. No, feeling that sick every time you take a bite is not normal. (((hugs)))

Wow..sorry you had such a troubling experience. I can say that maybe you should get a second opinion, it is your right. Also I would imagine that since you have been through soo much more than a regular sleeve patient your insides need a lot more time to heal. I hope you feel better soon.

About another doctor being out of network, you should call your insurance and ask them to give you the name of a doctor that you can go for a second opinion. I was a bariatric coord as my last job, and we had a patient in a similar situation, the patient actually went to get a second opinion at a large university and they found the problem. To tell you the truth the doctor I worked for was actually relieved when he found out, he didn't care that she went else where, he was just glad that she was better. I would also report this to the hospital risk management, if your insurance is not able to do something they may be able to help you.

I sometimes sweat after I eat, but I haven't been sleeved yet and I am diabetic. It is very disturbing though and I wanted you to know that I sympathize. It may simply been that the using the energy to eat and digest is a strain on your system right now and it is reacting as it would to any other "exercise" by sweating.

Get that second opinion and find a good attorney. This guy should be censured at least by the state licensing board.

Hoping things get better soon.

Robbie

When you go to the lawyer explain the entire situation. See if the lawyer thinks you should continue with this doctor for treatment or if makes more sense to see another. If you go to a lawyer who specializes in medical malpractice you should be able to get an expert opinion on how to pursue this. Good luck and don't get too down.

:o

Wow. It sounds like what you went through was more like a horror movie than surgery. Although not all surgeries are routine, it sounds like this doctor has some serious issues. Here's what I can tell you they told me - you should be taking these vitamins:

Multivitamin, 1 tablet twice daily, should be chewable and complete. Take 2 tablets a day even if the instructions only say to take one.

Vitamin B12: 1000mcg sublingual (under the tongue), 3 times a week. Your pouch can't absorb B12, so you need to absorb it in the membranes under your tongue. This is important for energy.

Vitamin B complex: 100mg daily

Calcium w/Vitamin D: 1000-1200mg per day (depending on your age/sex/milk intake - one glass of milk is appx. 300mg. of calcium). calcium citrate is the preferred form because it is better absorbed after surgery than other types of Calcium.< /p>

All of these are essential to your recovery and energy level. If you aren't taking them, you may want to try. Also, Protein, Protein, protein. You'll need lots of that to heal after your ordeal. Best of luck healing!