Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wanting To Eat Forbidden Food Before Surgery!

Is it just me, or do you too have the urge to eat EVERTYTHING you know you won't be able to eat/enjoy anymore after the surgery? My surgery is scheduled for July 18th and I was told by my doctor to lose 5-10 lbs by my pre-op date, but I've been finding myself indulging in foods that I won't be eating anymore to "get my fill". Please tell me I'm not alone with this!

I would be surprised if anyone out there didn't have those same thought. Then came the 14 day liquid diet and ... the urge to eat a cheeseburger didn't go away. However, was helped me was the reminder that my liver had to shrink enough for surgery, otherwise the doctor will close you up and won't be able to do it. Just knowing that anything bad I eat could cause me to postpone, that was enough incentive for me.

You are NOT alone! My last "real meal" was Sunday (surgery schedules 6:18) and I ate everything! But it meant nothing.., as I'm now on the all liquid diet and I'm still craving one more cheeseburger!

But you WILL be able to eat everything again after the surgery. Just not for a long long while! Ask any of the "veterans" here on the Forum. They eat whatever they want! But they make sure if it's not healthy and part of their long-term maintenance plan, that it's a VERY small amount of the "treat" and that it is only on rare occasions.

That's one of the great things about this surgery. You don't actually have to GIVE UP anything! You just have to let your stomach heal, teach yourself your new food life plan, and then once in a while, give in to your craving or treat (in a small way). It's the only way to live with this radical change for the rest of your life and be really happy (and not feel deprived, the way we always did on our previous diets).

Is it just me' date=' or do you too have the urge to eat EVERTYTHING you know you won't be able to eat/enjoy anymore after the surgery?[/quote']

Not only did I have the urge, I did it!!!! By the time my surgury came around I really didn't want to see another steak,burger, shrimp, Pasta, etc.

Im gonna be a bad example and say this:

I eat whatever the hell I want, when I want and however much I want.

Heres the kicker..... since surgery, I only want a tiny bit!!!!

I order a cheeseburger- eat 2 bites (bun, pickle, onions included) and im done. I get green curry and fresh rolls and 1/2 a freshroll & 2 tablespoons of curry later im full! I bought a Butterfinger and only ate 1/4 of it in a week!

My advice to the pre-op's is not to go all "hog wild" on the "food funerals" and eat yourself sick in the months, weeks or days leading up to your surgery. Cause in a few weeks- you can eat those foods again and enjoy them just as you did before (unless your tastes change).

Be dedicated to your pre-op diet, make absolutely no deviations from your post-op diet and when you are cleared for normal foods and are meeting your excercise, Protein and Water goals..... have the "forbidden foods" and love the hell out of each bite (cause with your new stomach, you wont have many!)!!

I just have to say Amen to what both CaliKat and WebChickadee posted! I eat whatever I want, just smaller portions. Eating all those "never have again" foods before surgery is normal, and it's called a food funeral. What we don't realize pre-op is that NOTHING is off limits after surgery. We just can't eat as much as before. I had lunch today with work colleagues who had never met me before in person. Neither of them noticed that I ate a significantly smaller amount than they did..and I ordered exactly the same thing they did. No problem at all.

I am still eating what I want since I don't have to do the liquid pre-op til three days prior but I do keep having the thoughts when I do eat something that "damn I won't have this anymore" lol I know I can eventually but still...

Omg I'm at my favorite chinese food place and eating what makes me feel the worse.. General chicken and chow mein! Btw the fam gave me a hard time for having extra chow mein. Ugh!

Seriously I can't wait to get sleeved!

Best of luck on your journey!

But you WILL be able to eat everything again after the surgery. Just not for a long long while! Ask any of the "veterans" here on the Forum. They eat whatever they want! But they make sure if it's not healthy and part of their long-term maintenance plan, that it's a VERY small amount of the "treat" and that it is only on rare occasions.

That's one of the great things about this surgery. You don't actually have to GIVE UP anything! You just have to let your stomach heal, teach yourself your new food life plan, and then once in a while, give in to your craving or treat (in a small way). It's the only way to live with this radical change for the rest of your life and be really happy (and not feel deprived, the way we always did on our previous diets).

So does this include soda pop? I am actually not doing any "food funerals" but I am hitting the diet coke by the case. I really love a cold fizzy and would like to think that I might be able to have a small cup sometime in my future. I have gotten the impression that soda pop is one of those never again items????

Tex, It's a no no after surgery, but I do drink some diet Decaf soda. I have a case that I opened around the end of May. I keep it out of the fridge, but sometimes yes, I do drink one over ice. It's NOT a trigger or slider food for me now. If it caused me to want other sweets, etc. then I wouldn't have it. I did wait until I was 4 months out before I had one, though.

Tex, It's a no no after surgery, but I do drink some diet Decaf soda. I have a case that I opened around the end of May. I keep it out of the fridge, but sometimes yes, I do drink one over ice. It's NOT a trigger or slider food for me now. If it caused me to want other sweets, etc. then I wouldn't have it. I did wait until I was 4 months out before I had one, though.

That is encouraging. I know it would have to be a small amount and infrequently, but I really love a diet coke in the evening at times.

I understand trigger, but what is a slider food?

Tex, Sliders are foods that you can eat and feel no restriction at all. Cheetos are that way for me. I can eat a whole bag if I let myself. Sweets are often slider foods as well. :)

Tex, Sliders are foods that you can eat and feel no restriction at all. Cheetos are that way for me. I can eat a whole bag if I let myself. Sweets are often slider foods as well. :)

Ok..so you will discover what those are for you after surgery I suppose. Thanks for the 411!

Yes, you'll discover what they are FOR YOU after surgery. I liked cheetos before surgery, but I adore them now. I really have to watch them. On the other hand, I'm not as attracted to regular sweets as I was before surgery, so I guess it's a trade-off.