Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats Better Sleeve Or Ru En Y?

Btw, my surgeon has 100% diabetes type 2 resolution with sleeve and RNY, the University is doing a clinical study to see why both works. I am in the food cravings study, but not in the diabetes study because luckily I had managed to avoid it.

Well this topic has had many very strong beliefs from many people. At the end of the day I need to choose what is best for me and weather it is with someone who has done a million operations or just 30 that is my choice to make. Again I appreciate the support but negitive comments aren't needed. :)

I have learned that the hunger hormone is reduced in both RNY and sleeve and there isn't much of a difference as far as that is concerned in either operation.

Next my question was weight loss, let's be honest we all want to lose this weight and fast. So my question was will I lose weight as fast as the RNY and I am still not 100% sure. But I am also going to workout and eat right I have my Protein and everything ready to go.

I am still not sure which I will choose but I believe they each have amazing results.

The sleeve also doesn't have dumping and frankly I do not want to swear off my favorite foods for life, instead just till I reach goal. Also, I'm 650 so the sleeve is safer for me than rny as well.

Actually you can dump with the sleeve, but it's not as common with the RY. I was told that if you have concentrated fat or concentrated sugar, you can bet you'll be revisiting that meal again. I do like with the sleeve that eventually you can have a bite or 2 of your favorite foods and from what I've heard from many people, is that will fill you up and keep you satisfied -- provided your tastes don't actually change. I've heard as we get into this journey, your taste for different foods may change.

Is having your intestines re arranged really worth loosing that tiny extra bit of weight a little bit earlier?

Not being able to take a bite of food u like, having to take heaps of Vitamin supplements, throwing up every time u have a meal?

Each surgerys results depends on the person. The band has just put a friend of mine down to 60kg from 120kg in a year, she does not exercise. But also throws up & people think she's bulimic.

Sleeve (yes I'm pro sleeve) is showing results probably slower then the re route, but end of the day u can eat out, u can eat what u like (in small amounts) & u don't have the massive life style change u would with band (visits for fills every few weeks) or the re route your gut (just gross & scary).

Each one depends on how u use it. Bigger people may not need to excercise, but why would u spend all this money, undergo surgery & not want to assist by taking a stroll around the block once a day.

End of the day, no matter what u choose u can still cheat & stuff it up. Or u can embrace it & work with it for the best results (better non saggy skin etc)

Good luck with your decision, but I do think ud be nuts getting your gut re arranged just to loose it faster.

Possibly consider the sleeve & go hard at the gym & ull loose it just as fast & also be toned.

Um ok :? If u even read my posts you would know I workout. So not sure where ur going with that? And I really don't care if u thing the RNY is bad or not. Again if u don't have anything positive to say why are u commenting on my posts? Seriously you have better things to do with your time I'm sure.

Anyway thanks to everyone else for comments that are helpful and not judgemental.

My doctor told me that the sleeve could be converted to an RNY if needed.

Hello everyone, as being a here at these boards for a long time I come to know some subjects tend to get a little heated with opinions. This happens to be one of them. Just remember these are just that... opinions. When it comes down to it the best thing to do is research facts and seek advice from your medical professionals with any decision you make.

Please all remain respectful when replying to any subject, we are all here to give support softly. Thanks in advance.

No need to be nasty. Have some calm down juice & re read what I said and stop seeing it in a negative light.

What I'm saying is no matter what u choose it depends on u and how u use it, the excercise thing was not a personal attack (why would I bother, I don't know u). Whatever u choose it's a tool and not a solution. If your happy to take supplements for the rest of your life then go the rny. If your not, which is very clear considering uve come here and basically picked fights with anyone who tried to give u advice, advice that u asked for, then possibly consider the band or the sleeve.

Don't come on here and then get the shits with anyone who doesn't agree with u straight up.

Each person will have different - if any - results Depending on how they treat and use the tool (and of course medical issues along the way)

Hello everyone' date=' as being a here at these boards for a long time I come to know some subjects tend to get a little heated with opinions. This happens to be one of them. Just remember these are just that... opinions. When it comes down to it the best thing to do is research facts and seek advice from your medical professionals with any decision you make.

Please all remain respectful when replying to any subject, we are all here to give support softly. Thanks in advance.[/quote']

Thanks for this reminder. I hate to see posts go on the negative direction.

What surgery a person has is a very personal decision we all have to make for ourself. It doesn't mean one is better than the other. Obviously here, you find more pro VSG people. Just as on an RNY support board, you will find more people pro the RNY. When I first started thinking of WLS, I was 100% sure I wanted the band. I just knew there was no way in he#% that I would let a surgeon cut my stomach and I would have thought all of you here were crazy. However, I began my research and as I type this I am 10 days postop the VSG procedure.

I commend the original poster for coming here during her research and I wish her the best of luck in her journey regardless of which procedure she chooses. I look forward to any others who may come here in the future. I think we can give our reasons and opinions of why we chose the VSG without taking the posts south, so to speak.

Thanks to ALMOST everyone who left comments, I appreciate your kindness and help. Thanks to the board admin for stepping in when others decided to go on rude rampages.

This is a support group and one that is to encourage everyone who is going through this life changing event. I personally aspire to be helpful to all and I enjoy learning from you as well.

Lol

Well this topic has had many very strong beliefs from many people. At the end of the day I need to choose what is best for me and weather it is with someone who has done a million operations or just 30 that is my choice to make. Again I appreciate the support but negitive comments aren't needed. :)

I have learned that the hunger hormone is reduced in both RNY and sleeve and there isn't much of a difference as far as that is concerned in either operation.

Next my question was weight loss, let's be honest we all want to lose this weight and fast. So my question was will I lose weight as fast as the RNY and I am still not 100% sure. But I am also going to workout and eat right I have my Protein and everything ready to go.

I am still not sure which I will choose but I believe they each have amazing results.

As stated, my opinion is simply that, my opinion, it was not intended to be negative. If you like, message me and I will give you more background as to what forms that belief

I recently switched my upcoming surgery to the sleeve mainly because my hands have been reminding me that I have rheumatoid arthritis and I really need to take NSAIDs. (Aleve, Advil, etc.) It's been in remission for almost six years but work has been extremely stressful right now...

My best friend had the RNY two years ago and lost 92 pounds -- she's the "poster child" for the perfect gastric bypass patient. Okay, not literally, but she followed all of the rules and continues to take her Vitamins four times a day. I was gung-ho about also getting the RNY. I went to the info seminar and found out about the sleeve. It actually threw me for a loop because my brain was already on gastric bypass overload from my own researching. What?! There's something ELSE out there? (Don't tell anyone, but I almost had a panic attack at the seminar.) When I met with the surgeon a week later, I was still thinking RNY. The fact that the "dumping" would keep me from sweets was kind of appealing AND it seems like all of the books out there are geared towards people with the gastric bypass. I am a details kind of person, so give me something to read and I will.

Anyhow, in the back of my mind, I have had this nagging thought about the malabsorption thing... I am 43 and, right now, other than my back and knees hurting at times and having sleep apnea, I am fairly healthy (well, in my mind anyhow).

I am very thankful that there are discussion forums dedicated to either surgery as well as other forums for both surgeries.

This is my list of pros for both surgeries. Initially the RNY appealed to me because of the faster weight loss, but really, what's 24 months compared to 12-18 months? (This is the question that I ask myself to keep me in focus.) My only real concern with the sleeve is that there really isn't any long term study results available since the sleeve is still fairly new.

Gastric Bypass Pros:

• Faster weight loss
  • Dumping (if you are a sugar fiend) - not that not dumping is also on my list as a pro for the sleeve

Sleeve Pros:

• No rerouting of the intestines (this kind of scares me)
  • Can take NSAIDs - Tylenol doesn't really do much for me and I get bad headaches in addition to RA
  • Weight loss is almost equal to the RNY at about the two year mark
  • Virtually no malabsorption issues
  • No dumping (although some people experience this)
  • No leftover stomach to get potential ulcers that are hard to scope
  • Sleeve isn't as stretchable as the pouch

Good luck with your decision!! I think it is wonderful that we have choices. :)