Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You Will Want To Read This! Researching Protein Powders For Shakes

:) Hi there my fellow sleevers, (sleeved or going to be sleeved). It has been a very rainy and dreary day here in Alabama. I have been doing so much research on everything. One thing I was very concerned about was having to do Protein shakes. I know my taste buds are very particular. I have done Protein Shakes in the past. I would just gag, force myself to drink it, and then wondered why I put myself through so much agony (all in the name of dieting).

Some of the research I have done has opened my eyes as to why some Protein (I am talking mainly powders here) are palatable and why some are just down right nasty. The reason is, and I quote from the unjury website is, " 1. whey protein sources and quality. Not all whey are the same. They differ in purity as well as taste. 2. Some whey protein is stripped of the good stuff, so that affects the QUALITY of the protein which in turn affects TASTE, MIXABILITY and PROTEIN CONTENT."

I recently ordered some Unjury chocolate Splendor and let me tell you it is AHHHHHHMAzing. I could not believe how good it tasted. I mixed one scoop of powder with 8 ounces of unsweetened almond soy milk (35 cals and 1 gm protein). I also added a couple of ice cubes and blended in my Magic Bullet (finally found use for a late night tv infomercial purchase, lol) and it was like a glass of chocolate milk....absolutely divine. I can only imagine what adding a tsp of Peanut Butter would do for it!!!

I know cost is a factor for many, but when I figured it out, one scoop which makes one 8 ounce shake with 21 gm of protein is $1.35 (minus whatever you use to mix it in....not getting that technical.) Well, I know that I don't mind spending over $6 on my 3 piece chicken strip meal from Chik Fil A. One canister of Unjury has 17 scoops. One canister is $22.95.

I hope this information helps those of us who are (or for me, was) dreading the Protein Shakes or are having difficulty with them now pre op and post op. ;) If you would like to read the article go to www.unjury.com and click on "newsletter" then scroll down to the very bottome and you will see 2 topics. They are both short and sweet. Good luck and God bless.

I use Unjury and love it! I find it best tasting,and most satisfying. The strawberry sorbet is great w/crystal light lemonade,also like vanilla w/ orange crystal light!

I loved Unjury before surgery and after. Now that I am on mushy food I am finding ways to get the unflavored Protein into food. I even sprinkle it in one of my kids food. Calling him a picky eater is a huge understatement. The only thing I don't like is that my stupid autocorrect always changes it to injury!!!

Where in Al are you? I'm near Huntsvillle.

I ordered the Unjury sampler and so far love the vanilla and strawberry flavors. I still have to try the chocolate. I figured i would save the chicken broth and unflavored one for after i have surgery. I have tried the Chike protien drinks and so far im not impressed.

vst addict......lol about the auto correct. hate that stupid thing. I live in the HAM, aka Birmingham, or really just east of it in St. Clair County.

thank you both for the feedback. I just don't want ppl to be stressing about this Protein stuff when there is a good product out there.

Thanks for the info. I'll try that too.

Yesterday I went to Vitamin Shoppe and bought $80 worth of all kinds to try.

The person working there said her mother had the surgery and she even hooked me up with samples/bars. She uses a lot of them so I got reviews (and they had rows and rows!!- too many decisions). She even explained how I'll be able to have this now, this right after and this later- pretty cool how they understand the bariatric patient- two hospitals are within a few miles of the store.

I have only a small amount of all the ready to drinks in many flavors and a few powders. They say your tastes can change so that's why I just bought a little of each. People rave about Oh Yeah RTD so I got that in like every flavor. Also I got many Isopure flavors to use as the clear drink for immediately before and after.

I am on a lose 14 lbs. diet before my surgery so I figure starting with the Protein is good now too to fill me up. Whey is an acquired taste so I'm going to hang in there to get the most Protein in the least liquid-- hopefully I can stomach it (pardon the pun) after surgery...

I use myoplex its very good 20 grams of Protein