Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Do You Know The Sign Of Fullness?

I will drink Water throughout the day and try to eat puree food the recommend times but not sure if I feel full. How do you know if you are full? I'm thinking because I felt a pressure after eating 3 bites of applesauce (example) and I couldn't finish the whole cup. It happens when I'm drinking water too! Well I am 6 days post op so.....

I will drink Water throughout the day and try to eat puree food the recommend times but not sure if I feel full. How do you know if you are full? I'm thinking because I felt a pressure after eating 3 bites of applesauce (example) and I couldn't finish the whole cup. It happens when I'm drinking Water too! Well I am 6 days post op so.....

hi Monette VSG

You are very early out in the game. I was only drinking Clear liquids and trying to get in Protein drinks. as this point At this stage it is hard to know when you are supposedly full since you are just drinking.

When i started on solids i could tell if i was full. I was allowed 1/3 cup per meal of food. (volume) I would usually take a teeny bit less at the time. - you can definitely tell if you are full - you and your stomach really can tell.

don't overstuff cuz you'll feel sick. in all honesty your stomach should guide you, but don't eat more than you are supposed to, just in case you feel like you could eat more

MY NUT always told me - eat til i'm full, then stop one bite earlier. ;)

best

kathy

I agree... at the puree stage, it was still hard to really feel "full". Once I started more solid foods, it was very evident that I couldn't eat much at all! In these early stages, where most of your intake is liquid (or liquidy anyway) it is especially important to measure what you are eating. It would be easy to ingest more calories than intended if Protein shakes tend to not fill you up.

Anyway, my feeling of "full" is very different than it was before surgery. It's more like a pressure or an ache even. I know another sleever who says she feels it more in her chest than in her stomach when she gets full. Everyone is different, of course, but with time you will learn your new body cues.

Congrats on your new sleeve! Just be sure to take it really slow when it comes to eating!

I have the feeling of pressure in my chest. Another way that I know I'm reaching my limit is when I get a runny nose or the hiccups. If I go beyond that I'll feel discomfort.

You're very early out, so take it slow and steady and listen to your body even when you feel like you should eat more. I'd watch it with eggs, too, because for many people they cause a problem after just a bite or so. For the longest time I could only half a scrambled egg. I didn't start being able to eat two scrambled eggs (for an entire meal) until around twenty months post op. Everyone is different so the best thing you can do is pay attention, eat slowly and take small bites.

~Cheri

You will learn to recognize your own fullness signals. You don't want to reach that overfull feeling or you will regret it. As you progress, you will learn your body's signatures. And, you will learn what your new stomach can tolerate might vary from day to day.

It is easy to tell that you have overeaten about 10-15 minutes after you have eaten. The trick is to know when enough is enough WHILE you are eating. This brings up the concept of eating slowly with concentration. If you are distracted by TV, conversations, etc. you may pass to ideal stopping point and realize it later.

While you are eating, eating is your primary task, just as when your driving a car on a busy street. Overeating is not immediately lethal like losing concentration when driving but can be quite uncomfortable.

My policy is that when something especially tasty is before me I prepare myself mentally to take it slow, knowing that I could get carried away and stuff down too much, too fast. This is especially important when you go to a restaurant and order a meal that you know will mostly end up in a take-home box. Putting that fork down between bites and reflecting on the feasibility of the next bite is helpful. At home you learn to serve yourself the right portion and DON'T GO BACK FOR MORE.

I used to violate myself by putting down 2 pitchers of beer plus shots, sandwiches, and peanuts. 2 mountainous buffet plates, drinks, and deserts were also the norm. Now I have a wonderful belly that talks back to me in a loud voice and is saving my life.

It sounds weird but mynose starts to run in addition to me feeling fullin my tummy... but you can definitely tell...

I also get a slight pressure in my chest area and if my nose runs I ate one bite too many.