Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Even Gonna Lie, I'm Kinda Scared

So my surgery is not until December but I am getting really scared. Right now I'm pretty sure I'm going alone, but the catch is I have never been outside of the country. Leaving the country isn't the scary part for me, its the flight to San Diego!!! I've never even been inside of an airport let alone a plane! Could someone with goid pointers puuh- leaseee give me some pointers/ tips for me traveling by myself? I know I could've googled this, but I trust you guys :3

I know exactly where you are coming from. I had never been out of the country and still have never flown. My husband and I drove to San Diego. I would definitely fly next time. I am not sure who your surgeon is but you should be well taken care of by a coordinator and the Doctor's staff. They will make sure you are not alone and get everything you need.

I was also a first time flier and first timer out of the country. It would be odd if you wrent scared/concerned. I certainly was, but I can assure you its not that difficult. If theres anything in particular you need to know ask away, Im sure anyone here would be glad to answer.

I travel alone with some regularity, so this part is not nerve wracking to me.

Here is a tip.

Leave more time than you think you need, then you won't be worried about finding your way taking too long.

I'll be leaving Wednesday (alone) for San Diego, I'll try to gather some notes for you on the airport.

Are you with Dr. Kelly? If so, I'll take more notes on where you meet Omar.

So my surgery is not until December but I am getting really scared. Right now I'm pretty sure I'm going alone' date=' but the catch is I have never been outside of the country. Leaving the country isn't the scary part for me, its the flight to San Diego!!! I've never even been inside of an airport let alone a plane! Could someone with goid pointers puuh- leaseee give me some pointers/ tips for me traveling by myself? I know I could've googled this, but I trust you guys :3[/quote']

Airports are usually very well marked so you can find your way and most recommend you arrive an hour to an hour and a half before your flight. You should leave yourself a

Iittle more time than that so you don't add the stress of missing your flight to your first time jitters of navigating the airport and flying. Also, there are almost always people everywhere (employees and other flyers) who will be more than happy to assist you. Don't be afraid to ask. Make sure you don't forget your passport and driver's license. You will need them. Also. I'd suggest slip on shoes. You most likely have to remove them to go through security. Also, don't take liquids on your carry on and don't take bottled Water up to the security check point. liquids over a certain amount cannot go through security. If you want a Water, buy it after you get through security.

It is extremely safe to fly. Alot safer than driving. Once you are on the airplane, chew some gum. Your ears will likely pop. That is normal. They will do it as ascend and decend. The plane will feel extremely fast as it gets speed to take off it will push you back into your chair. The way thelane feels as it speeds down the runway will change as it leaves the ground. At some poi t shortly thereafter you might feel a jolt and hear a loud noise. That is the wheels being put up in the plane. After that the flight is pretty much smooth unless you come into turbulence. That feels like the plane is bouncing and being jolted a bit. DO NOT PANIC! It has nothing to do with the safety of the airplane. Your only safety issue is maybe falling or knocking into something if you are standing say when you are walking to the bathroom or getting something in the overhead bins. Often, the piolet will turn on the fasten seat belt signs for your safety. When those are on, you must stay sitting with your seatbelt on, your seat completely upright and your tray table fastened. Again, for your safety. It's always a good idea to keep your seatbelt on while you are sitting anyway. Also, if you have electronic devices (cell phone, iPod, etc.) listen to the steward/stewardess. He or she will tell you when they need to be off and when you are okay to use them.

I've tried to be as detailed as possible. Knowledge is power. If I think of anything else to help you, I will post it. Best of luck to you. You will do great!

Airports are usually very well marked so you can find your way and most recommend you arrive an hour to an hour and a half before your flight. You should leave yourself a

Iittle more time than that so you don't add the stress of missing your flight to your first time jitters of navigating the airport and flying. Also' date=' there are almost always people everywhere (employees and other flyers) who will be more than happy to assist you. Don't be afraid to ask. Make sure you don't forget your passport and driver's license. You will need them. Also. I'd suggest slip on shoes. You most likely have to remove them to go through security. Also, don't take liquids on your carry on and don't take bottled Water up to the security check point. Liquids over a certain amount cannot go through security. If you want a Water, buy it after you get through security.

It is extremely safe to fly. Alot safer than driving. Once you are on the airplane, chew some gum. Your ears will likely pop. That is normal. They will do it as ascend and decend. The plane will feel extremely fast as it gets speed to take off it will push you back into your chair. The way thelane feels as it speeds down the runway will change as it leaves the ground. At some poi t shortly thereafter you might feel a jolt and hear a loud noise. That is the wheels being put up in the plane. After that the flight is pretty much smooth unless you come into turbulence. That feels like the plane is bouncing and being jolted a bit. DO NOT PANIC! It has nothing to do with the safety of the airplane. Your only safety issue is maybe falling or knocking into something if you are standing say when you are walking to the bathroom or getting something in the overhead bins. Often, the piolet will turn on the fasten seat belt signs for your safety. When those are on, you must stay sitting with your seatbelt on, your seat completely upright and your tray table fastened. Again, for your safety. It's always a good idea to keep your seatbelt on while you are sitting anyway. Also, if you have electronic devices (cell phone, iPod, etc.) listen to the steward/stewardess. He or she will tell you when they need to be off and when you are okay to use them.

I've tried to be as detailed as possible. Knowledge is power. If I think of anything else to help you, I will post it. Best of luck to you. You will do great![/quote']

Omg thank you so much for all of the info! I feel a lot better. :)

I travel alone with some regularity' date=' so this part is not nerve wracking to me.

Here is a tip.

Leave more time than you think you need, then you won't be worried about finding your way taking too long.

I'll be leaving Wednesday (alone) for San Diego, I'll try to gather some notes for you on the airport.

Are you with Dr. Kelly? If so, I'll take more notes on where you meet Omar.[/quote']

Yes I am with Dr. Kelly and I wpuld appreciate that soooo much! :) thank you for the info and good luck!

Also, don't take liquids on your carry on and don't take bottled Water up to the security check point. Liquids over a certain amount cannot go through security. If you want a Water, buy it after you get through security.

Check the website of your airline for these restrictions. I am flying USAirways and they have a 3-1-1 liquids policy.

3 - no bottle/tube/container can contain over 3 oz.

1 - 1 quart size ziptoc baggie

1 - 1 baggie per person

I flew into San Diego a month ago for work. This airport is very easy to find your way around. Everything is well marked. Good luck!! Just make sure you have lots of time for security! Extra time is much better then rushing !!

Omg thank you so much for all of the info! I feel a lot better. :)

You are quite welcome. Oh, and don't freak out if you are pulled and searched. It is a random thing and the few times it's happened to me, it was done very respectfully. If you think of any more questions just ask. I'm sure either me or someone here will have an answer for you.