Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Nauseous Right After I Eat

I had surgery on 04-24-11, 6 weeks out. I was wondering if I'm feeling a dumping syndrome or what. Right after I eat about 2-3 oz. I get so nauseous. I start sweating and I have to sit still or lay down. Feels kind of like I'm going to pass out. It last for about 30-45 min. What's going on with me?! Is this normal? I don't feel this way everytime I eat. Just sometimes.

That can happen, especially at your stage. Try eating half of that amount, waiting 15-30 minutes and then eating the other half. It's probably too much for your stomach to take at once so let it process it and then finish it later. This is our new self-regulator :)

Thank You Massindex! I will do that from now on.

How far post op are you? Will I ever be able to eat more than 2-3oz per sitting, ever?????

That happens to me when I bite off more than I can chew, literally. My advice is slow down. It is the hardest thing for me to do, but I get the same reaction as you when I eat too fast.

Thanks Chitowngirl! Yeah and it's a horrible feeling. I'm so scared to eat anywhere but my house because of this. It's miserable but I'm hoping it gets better in time :-)

Thank You Massindex! I will do that from now on.

How far post op are you? Will I ever be able to eat more than 2-3oz per sitting, ever?????

I'm at maintenance and I'm 16 months out. Sure you'll be able eat more but the surgery is a tool to prevent you from over eating or eating too fast. You can still eat the wrong things (sliders they are called) that won't bother you but it's usually a good thing to have this stopper in place.

I'm assuming when you say you are 6 weeks out, you meant 4-24-12 and not 2011?

I get a lump in my throat and can't swallow...and have to stand up and walk around if I eat too much...

I was sleeved 4/23/12, and I feel that yuck feeling if I do not chew really well, or if eat too much too quickly, it is still awkward to bite, chew, chew, chew....swallow, wait, wait, wait....helps if having conversation and put fork down between bites!

Pinky, what you are probably feeling is a vagal response to overfilling your sleeve. The vagus nerve has a lot to do with gastric emptying and motility. I have had the same problem since being sleeved 14 months ago. When I overfill or eat too fast, it puts pressure on the nerve and I get really lightedheaded and feel like passing out. Everything starts to go dark like I am going to pass out. One of the first signs for me is my hearing starts to decrease, especially in my left ear. If you really want to know about it, google "vagus nerve". Otherwise, I suggest you just concentrate on chewing well and eating slowly. I sometimes still forget, but the consequences are never worth it. You are lucky if it goes on down...I always have to upchuck it to end the problem. Good luck, Kathe

I felt really sick this morning after finishing my 200ml Protein Shake, had diarrhoea then had to lay down because my heart was beating so fast and I just did not feel great. I am day 8 post op. This is the first time it has happened to me. I am still making my shakes on Water because I just can't stomach milk at the moment either. I see my dietician today and will be weighed for the first time since my surgery and hoping to get some confirmation that what I am eating is ok. I guess I need to slow down.