Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Trying To Be Grose But...

Im an august sleever & personally only know 1 person who has been sleeved. I dont really know her that well, she is a work colleague. I know she has been sleeved for about 14 months. She seems to eat very little from what I see & also quite slow. She showed me her before photos & she now looks amazing. Now the grose part.. she seems to vomit lots through the day, she eats then goes straight to the bathroom & throws up, she often has to leave her desk to throw up. She often smells like vomit. Im sure sometimes she hasnt made it to the bathroom & has vomited in her bin. She told me alot of nights she has to change her bed sheets because she vomits without being able to get to the bathroom on time. Also alot of times when speaking she seems to choke on saliva, like she has too much, sometimes she dribbles while talking. Is this typical after being sleeved?? Like I said she is over 14 months out, I thought most of these type problems would be controlled by that amout of time?? Has anyone else heard of this? or experienced it? It is making me have second thoughts... I scared that i will vomit constantly & not be able to even make it to a bathroom... arrgghhh

That does not sound typical.

OMG! My mom's coworker goes through the same thing. She smells of vomit and constantly goes to the bathroom. I think this is because she eats too much for her stomach and she feels uncomfortable and the only way to feel better is to remove the excess food. That is my guess.

Wow that does not sound right. I hope she is working with a doctor on those issues. I am 4 months out and have not vomited once. Some people have more swelling or issues like scar tissue from old bands that make them more prone to vomiting in the beginning, but 14 months out I would think there was a serious issue with those symptoms.

I have vomited twice at two months. Both times it was after I ate and sat at the desk and drank what I had sitting at my desk. I brought up a couple of tablespoons of Fluid and then I was fine. That is completely not normal.

Wow, does not sound right at all, not 14 months out. The only time I have vomitted is if I have eaten too much. And it has never been that I could never make it to the bathroom. That really sounds like she is either having some major issues that she needs to talk to a doctor about or she has develop a eating disorder. She really needs to discuss with her doctor though. I know one person that their sleeve was made too tight at the bottom and she threw up a lot. They did an endoscopy and were able to stretch it enough that food could pass through. Everything was getting stuck when it hit the narrow part and had no where to go but back up. I am 18 months out, and I know a lot of sleevers, and not many have that problem. Usually problems with vomitting are in the first couple of months due to swelling, acid, and adjusting eating habits.

I was hoping this wasnt normal. I started to worry this is what happens but maybe people dont like to talk about it. Must just be my nerves starting to set in. I wonder if she is eating too much? or too fast?

Too much, too fast is what does it for me. Eating late at night will do it too, waking me up.

I would imagine that bulimia would be easier with the sleeve because it is easier to vomit. Not a good thing at all. Might not be the problem but I hope she gets some pro help anyway.

I've never thrown up. This is not typical. Now I have seen that a lot of people have. My sleeve just won't let me eat that much. I know I'm done either by a hickup or I have a slight cramp in my stomach. Just eat slow and the moment you THINK you might be full, stop.

Someone at work actually brought up the bullemia question also. Maybe she is worried about gaining the weight back? Im happy it is not the norm.

This is not the norm at all!! I haven't thrown up at all, but from what I've heard, those who have thrown up did so because they over ate and/or ate too much. Something that could be prevented and certainly not done several times in a day. Wow! That is NO way to live!!

I agree, this is NOT normal for ANYONE, sleeved or unsleeved. Someone vomiting in the night when you aren't even eating is just not normal. Something else is going on here, either she has something drastically wrong due to the sleeve, or, dare I say, causes this reaction herself somehow.

I'm out over 1.5 years and have puked 3 or 4 times total, twice I think to getting a stomach bug and twice by eating too much too fast - my own dang fault.

at 21 months post op, I've never thrown up (thankfully)...doesn't sound normal.

I'm almost 4 mos out and I've only vomited twice. Both times was because I tried to eat re-heated meat that was too dry. My tummy can't handle it. It was the same with the band and dry meat. Now, with the band, I was vomiting daily sometimes multiple times a day. It was awful. Like Excorist all over the place. Yes, very easy to vomit with the band. Blah, there it goes. Just like that.

This is just my guess, but if she smells of vomit, to me that's partially digested food that she is throwing up mixed with stomach acids. Just a guess but I'm betting she is probably producing excess stomach acid. It would be in her best interest to address this with her doctor, or at the very least try some Prilosec.