Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has Anyone Backed Out And Tried The Pre-Op Diet?

I know some of yall must be rolling your eyes but ave you thought or tried the pre-op diet on a long term basis as an alternative to wls? I getting super duper cold feet!

Everything will be A-OKAY, Angela! It's normal to have cold feet but don't give up now! Your body will love you for it after, and you will love the results. I think if you can stand a pre-op diet for a prolonged period of time then you would only benefit EVEN MORE from doing the surgery, too! No worries :)

Thank you! I've lost 8lbs on pre-op and now that it's a week away I am scared and hoping I don't make a wrong choice.

Thanks again!!!!!

About 10 years ago, I went thru the entire process for the RNY. I got to the final visit with the surgeon. He went over my test results and wanted me to be aware that in my intestines, I had these little pockets that had a tendency to bleed. ( there is a name for this but I don't remember it). He said that he would still do the surgery. He wanted me to know if there were complications with the bleeding pockets with the re- routing of my intestines, it would make it more difficult to have treated. I left his office, went home scared to death of what I had just learned. My husband and I decided that it was just not worth the surgery and the possible risks. At that time, they didn't do the sleeve. My only other option was the band. I didn't feel the band was a good option for me. I got up the next morning and called the surgeons office. I told them due to the test results that I was just too scared to go through with it. They tried to talk me into the band. I had my mind made up- no surgery for me. I'm going to do these Protein Drinks, eat low carbs and exercise. I was convinced that I could lose the weight this time! Here I am 10 years later.....several more failed attempts.... Approximately 10 pounds heavier with now high blood pressure and high chlorestol! So, for me, trying to do it one last time still didn't work! I know this is a scary decision! Unless they find something in the pre- op test, I feel this is truly the right step for me! Good luck with your journey!

I was going through that as well but I know this decision is the best for me I can't see myself trying another diet on my own I need this tool to help me get to my goal weight and keep me there

Well...... It would be very hard to stick to the pre-op diet without the surgery long-term.If it were that easy you would have probably already lost the weight. However,if you could stick to it (for arguments sake) then you wouldn't be stuck with an abnormally small stomach that makes you not be able to eat hardly anything forever.

I don't think this surgery is for every overweight person. But read into it 1 more time and if you chose to join the sleeve community then here's an early welcome!

BTW... I've lost more weight in the past 6 weeks than I could ever imagine!

I've considered, and not chosen WLS for years. During that time, I would drop 10lbs and gain 15. I could never succeed past those first few pounds. I've been trying to lose for over 20 years, it obviously isn't happening. I'm at peace with doing this, because I can't stand missing out on so much of life while I wait around and find out ten years from now, I'm still not who I want to be.

It is very normal to think you can just do this with the pre op diet. I lost 15 pounds in two weeks and thought I should cancel surgery and just keep drinking shakes. It is normal to have cold feet, but I am very happy I did the surgery. I have lost 70 pounds in 3.5 months and feel incredible. It is the best decision I ever made. I know from your side the surgery seems scary, but when you get to my side you will wonder why you waited so long to do it.

Thank you sooooo much to all of you! I have not ever had surgery and I have this image that I will not ever be able to eat dinner with my family or enjoy a restaurant again. Eeeek...so scared!

Hello AngelaKay2,

I can relate to being scared to death I have pushed back my surgery until 7/11 instead of 6/20 due to job issues. But my fear of doing the surgery is sooooo real until this pass weekend at was at my mother's house and found an old nutrition form I had filled out when I was seeing a nutritionist dated 2/2001 at that time my weight was 310 today 11 years and several diets laters my weight is still 310......I refuse to spend 11 more years overweight.....

You will find the courage/strength to continue with this journey to improve your health and way life. I agree totally with everyone's replies on this topic.

Good luck with your decision.

Thank you Lmitchell. That is a hard dose of reality, huh? Well I certainly appreciate you sharing your story with me! Good luck!

Keep this in mind....it's hard to have a stomach the size of a footbal and have nothing but shakes and/or 3 oz meals and convince yourself that you're not starving to death. The sleeve makes it much easier to do what you need to do to drop the weight.

Angela that is so not true! You will be able to enjoy a meal, just not eat as much as them. Essentially you can eat whatever you want when your tummy is all healed up, but in a very tiny portion. You don't want to do that of course, but you CAN physically eat whatever. It's the beauty of the sleeve.

Going out with people isn't always about eating as much as then, just remember that! Your presence is good enough :) And SOMETIMES, I only know this bc of my sister because I personally am pre-op also, but you can tell your waitress if you go to a buffet and say you had a surgery and that you eat only very little, and they will HALF the cost of your plate.

I, too, am pre-op as I said. I know the fears too :( But just remember the 1 thing that I try to remind myself over and over. Doing a pre-op diet forever might sound all good and stuff, but you have to maintain that FOR LIFE to maintain a healthy weight after you achieve it. The surgery is a tool that will assist in that FOR EVER. A diet will not.

Angela, Knowing that I am a month away from surgery, I keep thinking to myself "Next summer I won't feel or look like this", and for the first time in my life I actually believe it.