Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self Pay With Questions!

I attended the WLS seminar yesterday. I think I may be the only one that was there that was self pay. The seminar was very informative but was geared more for those with insurance.

As a self payor, I am hoping to go to my first consultation (on 6/11/12) and get the ball rolling and have surgery by mid July. Is this realistic? I do have some comorbid issues like sleep apnea and reflux. Also joint pain due to my weight. What has been Your experience as a self pay? I don't have insurance to cover WLS but am sort of glad so I don't have to jump through all of the hoops.

Where are you having your procedure?

It was very easy for me. Called and scheduled a couple weeks prior to surgery. No hoops to jump through at all. There are a few folks on here who did have coverage but opted for self pay to avoid the hoops.

Yea the hoops are less for self pay but I don't know if they can get you into surgery as fast as you're expecting. It took 2 months from first consult for me to get the VSG done on my self pay. My doc made me go through an EKG, Chest x ray, and an EGD scope before surgery (which he made all patients due). Its going to have to be the prep steps of your surgeon that will determine how fast you get it done, but either way is much faster than with insurance

It took me about two and a a half months total. I had my initial visit, and then because they're a Bariatric Center of Excellence, they are required to do a psych eval on all their patients. That took a while; it was almost a month before I could get an appointment for that. After my psych eval I paid and was given my surgery date (about a month out) as well as all my pre op appointments (IVC filter, pre-op testing, etc).

Very realistic. I reached forever before I found where I wanted to have my procedure done, but sure very realistic. Just research, research, research 1st lol

Thanks everyone for the info. I live just outside Birmingham, Alabama and will be having the surgery in Birmingham. The place I will use is a Bariatric Center of Excellence so I guess that answers one question....I will have to do psych eval. Just hoping they won't make me go through another sleep study(because I am not compliant with my cpap machine). I actually sleep worse from using that contraption. I also have reflux and really don't want to go through an endoscopy.

I am just a "hurry up and get it over with" type of person. My health is good other than the things I mentioned above. No diabetes, no heart/lung issues and no hypertension. The reflux would probably be resolved from the surgery as well as the sleep apnea (hopefully).

Thanks everyone for the info. I live just outside Birmingham, Alabama and will be having the surgery in Birmingham. The place I will use is a Bariatric Center of Excellence so I guess that answers one question....I will have to do psych eval. Just hoping they won't make me go through another sleep study(because I am not compliant with my cpap machine). I actually sleep worse from using that contraption. I also have reflux and really don't want to go through an endoscopy.

I am just a "hurry up and get it over with" type of person. My health is good other than the things I mentioned above. No diabetes, no heart/lung issues and no hypertension. The reflux would probably be resolved from the surgery as well as the sleep apnea (hopefully).

You could go to Mexico... I am self pay and researched my doc and hospital and simply could not justify the cost of staying here in the US.. My doc has more experience, the hospital is amazing and the cost is $6k cheaper! Plus once I decided they were able to schedule me 4 weeks out. My pre op stuff (ekg, bloodwork, etc) will be done the day before surgery and I will have 2 days recovery in the hospital, which is more than the docs here cover. Anyway, just research and keep an open mind and you may be able to schedule sooner =)

so, this Mexico thing is sounding very attractive. what about airfare? is a passport required or does a birth certificate suffice?

so, this Mexico thing is sounding very attractive. what about airfare? is a passport required or does a birth certificate suffice?

My airfare was not included but it was only $200 roundtrip per person.. even with the airfare the total cost with airfare, surgeon fees, hospital stay, preop work, post op work, EVERYTHING was $7100. I put down $3500 and financed the rest for 12 months. I chose Dr Rodriguez at StarMedica but there are a lot to choose from, all with years of experience (Dr Rodriguez has 18 years), thousands of surgeries done and with very very low complication rates. Dr Rods staff even speaks english!! A plus for my no espanol! lol I would have never dreamed of going to Mexico but after tons of research I made a very informed decision that I, and my family, feel very confident and secure with. I could stay in the US and just pay more but honestly can say I feel more confident with my Mexico choice! Regardless, good luck with your journey! Don't make a hasty decision, be informed and go with your heart!

so' date=' this Mexico thing is sounding very attractive. what about airfare? is a passport required or does a birth certificate suffice?[/quote']

I had mine done in Mexico 9 days ago. Yes you need a passport, whether or not a birth certificate will work is completely up to the agent at the border(not worth the risk to me). Air fair is at your expense, should run about 500 round trip depending on the date you choose.

I also went to Mexico like many of the other posters. I paid for my airfare, $600 return from Canada. You dont need a passport to get into Mexico, but you do need one to get back into the states. I had a driver who picked me up at the airport in San Diego, and drove me to Tijuana. Everything was fantastic! The hospital was great, the staff was great and my surgeon was VERY experienced.

Yikes...it could take a month to get a passport!!! Seriously??? I am becoming overwhelmed with choosing a doctor as well. are we allowed to ask which dr.'s to stay away from?

also, I was hoping to get this done before Mid August and preferably mid July. does that sound reasonable? I have a coworker going on maternity leave in September so timing is of the essence. may have to wait until she returns from leave.

You can pay extra to get your passport faster. When I booked my surgery, it was only 5 weeks in advance, so it was quite simple. If you start the process now, you would be able to get a passport before July, and have your surgery in good time.

I scheduled mine two weeks in advance with Dr Umbach in Las Vegas. Cheap airfare to Vegas (baby!), cheap hotel room (Golden Nugget - $45/night) and $10,400 for the procedure at a Bariatric Center of Excellence.

Get to stay in the US and a great surgeon who has performed 1,000s of Bariatric procedures.

And it's Vegas(BABY!)

No brainier for me.

You don't need one. Once Ur at the us border Ur already in USA. They won't hold u up, they aren't going to kick u out of the country, which is what they'd be doing if they didn't let you thru. They aren't going to say anything except for you to get a passport next time. Brother works for border patrol