Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Help With Some Things

I have not gotten a date yet but I have some questions. Is it really necessary to purchase a blender? Also I hear some people say the Protein Powder shakes are not that great in taste. What is best for shakes because a family member had the gastric bypass and she only purchase the Atkins shakes which to me can become expensive. Also there is possibility that I might be starting a new job and I need the job just as bad as I need the surgery. So my next question is how long was you off work? I hate to start a new job and then request time off.

I recommend at least two weeks off work post op, some people have gone back earlier but it all depends on the type of job and the person. I highly recommend a magic bullet or something like it. I love mine and the shakes that you make yourself taste better (in my opinion) if made on it than just mixed with a spoon. I also use it to blend Soups and things, the first few beeks you will only be having liquids. A blender works too but I like the combinience of the small bullet. You will not be eating/drinking much at one time. I love my lunch crockpot kkeeps my Soup hot while I eat it, I hate cold soup! It takes me anywhere from 30 minutes to one and a half hours to drink six ounces of soup! I am a little over two weeks post op! Good luck in your journey!

The only Protein Shakes I really drank were the premier shakes from costco. They usually come in vanilla and chocolate, my favorite were the vanilla ones. They might seem expensive, but you have to figure in how much money you are actually saving on food. I bought a blender, but really only used it a couple of times. The blender ball bottles were much more convenient when I actually used Protein powder instead of the pre-packaged costco drinks.

As far as your job goes it really depends on how physical it is. You will get a lot of different answers to this question. I have a very physical job and took off a month. I felt like I probably could have done my job at the 3 week mark, but my doctor actually wanted me off work for 6 weeks. We compromised at 4 weeks.

Thanks for your thoughts. I have been slowly preparing for my sleeve. I guess I will have to cross that bridge about the job when I get there. I know it will require a lot of standing for long periods of time and some lifting.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S using VST

I used the regular slim fast shakes u mix in a shaker bottle. They taste good and are high in Protein. I went back to work a day after I got home and I never once pulled out my blender. I felt good enuff to get up and on with life. Everybody is different though. See how u feel afterwards.... Hope that helps!! : )

Don't get in too big a hurry pre-op about buying shakes or Protein powder. Most of us have had a major change in our tastebuds post-op. I couldn't stand anything sweet for months after surgery.

As for going back to work afterwards, it will depend on what your job requires. I was back at work at 8 days, and probably could have gone back sooner, but I had a drain and didn't want to mess with that while working. I was back at work the same afternoon that hte drain was pulled, though. My energy level has been really high, but some people have reported that they felt like they were dragging afterwards. It is major surgery, and a lot depends on how you react to it.

I was using slim-fast high Protein with skim milk, but I read that 100% whey Protein is the preferred shake. I started using Pure Protein 100% whey Protein shakes from Target, they come in large container. I had a shake for Breakfast during my six month pre-approval surgery phase . It's better for you to have a Protein Shake for Breakfast than nothing, so it worked out well for me.

Everyone's tastes are different. Slim fast for a small little container is about 8-9 bucks. the Pure Protein 100% Whey Protein Frosty chocolate Shake is in a huge tub for about $28.00 at target. It's cheaper in the long run to buy the big tub and it's a better quality Whey Protein than Slim Fast.

added* I received the Magic Bullet for a gift and I love it. For me it's been awesome,you can throw ice in it and it will come in handy when you are on the pureed phase. If you have any special occasion coming up, perhaps ask for it for your birthday or whatever, it's worth it.

Edited by MinaT

I purchased a blender and I think I've used it 2, maybe 3 times. I prefer the liquid shakes, the premier and EAS drinks are my favorite. I bought a blender cup (I think that's the name of it) at Walmart, it was in the Protein drink/supplement aisle. It's basically a cup with a wire whisk ball inside. You add the powder and the liquid and it blends it perfectly. And at 6 bucks it's a lot cheaper than a blender! :-)

The is a new shake out there call EAS Carb control. 4 are $4.78 at the local Walmart and they are awesome. Two chocolate flavors, strawberry and vanilla. 17 gr Protein, no surgar, 2.5 net carbs, a ton of Vitamins and minerals. They are made by Abbott nutrition who is a leading provider in the health care industry. My friend who is a nutritionist/dietitian agrred they are the best of all the premade shakes out there now. Atkins is good, lots of flavors, but not so much protein, has a bit of sugar and cost more. Good luck

Thanks everyone, I guess I will check out the magic bullet and some shaker cups. Also for those that work, I have been reading about the importance of Water and protien, how do you fit that into your day while working? Considering if its a public job?

I have a public job and keep my water bottle right there by my side. You'll most likely be fine. And its (HOT) summer time, who will really say anything to you?...

Thanks Neva