Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery With Dr. Kelly 5/25- Day One Down!

I arrived at the San Diego airport by myself and was picked up by Cece, who was dropping off another patient. She drove me by the San Diego harbor to take pics before we headed to Tj. We crossed the border quickly and headed to florence Hospital. As soon as I got there, Omar and Dr. Kelly were outside and greeted me. I got to meet Sherry & Thomas who were on their was for the swallow tests then hotel.

I was quickly checked in then shown to my room. I was given a gown to change into then weighed, measured, x-rayed, EKG'd, IV'ed in my right hand, then asked questions about my health. When it came time for surgery, I got to move on 4 different beds. They strap down your hands & feet and the anethiesiolisit (sp?) introduced himself and I koncked out before I could ask someone to itch my nose. When I woke up, I was moved to the beds since I was too tired. I was taken back to my room and stats checked and I was given oxygen. I was given meds for nasea but threw up, dry heaved a few times throughout the night. I would walk two laps down the hall, feel the gas coming up my chest, go back to the room, burp/throw up blood stuff then I felt better. I was able to get up and pee on my own maybe an hour after surgery. Dr. Kelly, Omar, and Cece checked on me last night. The surgery went well and my lover looked good. I asked someone to call my mama for me so she could tell everyone I was ok since I didn't feel like getting on Facebook. Later last night I got a cup of ice chips and have to chew them around in my mouth then spit them out. I slept off and on last night. I felt hot and asked for a fan, which I quickly recieved. A nurse was checking on me very frequently.

This morning I felt much better, though slightly sore and I've felt sick at times, right in my chest area. I don't feel any pain whatsoever. I've kept the lights off, cut hispanic TBS on for background noise, and have tried to nap most off the day, hoping to sleep the nasea away. Dr, Kelly and Omar have stopped in here today. I've got up and walked two laps and used the spirometer everytime I get up. I think I've done very well. I got to meet the other Sherry and her hubby before she went to get her test & go to the hotel. I got to take a shower this morning. It is a huge walk-in with a chair. Whatever they mop with made my room smell awesome. I will update once I get my swallow test and check in the hotel.

Yay, glad you are doing so well Crystal. I had nausea the first 24 hours & then it subsided. I hope it gets better for you too.

If there is anything you want to do & places you want to go to then just ask Omar or Cecy & they will take you.

I was also alone & really enjoyed my time there. sleep while you can though & the walking of course is great.

Congrats and I hope each day is easier on you. Thank you for the update and sending prayers for quick healing.

Thank you for the update. I really do appreciate everyone who is getting sleeved by Dr Kelly and the positive experiences they are having. It really does make me all that more excited to leave for San Diego in 17 days (not that im counting or anything, lol)

Anyway, just want to tell you thanks and hope you continue to do well and I will update as soon as I am sleeved too!

Sharon, I get to go to a bull fight tomorrow!

Thanks Mina.

Cathy, thanks & you'll do great here. You'll be here sooner than you think :)

Well today is the day. I am waiting on them to come and get me for surgery. Everyone has been great. Dr.Kelly and Omar met at the hospital. Cecelia picked my husband and I up at the airport and drove us to the hospital. Say a little prayer for me today. I can wait.

Reese

Sending a LOT of positive vibes your way Reese!! You're gonna do great! :)

Sharon, I get to go to a bull fight tomorrow!

Thanks Mina.

Cathy, thanks & you'll do great here. You'll be here sooner than you think :)

So you are the one! I spoke with Omar yesterday and he told me he was taking one of the patients to a bull fight! Have fun!

The nausea stopped right around the 24 hr point. I tried to walk two laps everytime my vitals were checked but I was tired and slept most of the afternoon away. Sunday morning, Dr. Kelly came by and checked me out then Cecy took me around noon for my swallow test. That facility is very nice, though the roads are quite bumpy on the way there. Thank goodness I still have cushion on my backside lol. The drink is disgusting, like aspirin Water, but it goes quickly and I brought sugar free mints for afterwards. Dr. Kelly recorded the test and Omar emailed it to me. My tummy looks so widdle on the video. They also gave me xray to take home. It takes like 10 minutes total.

Cecy took me to the grocery store to get some cold beverages and my meds. The grocery store had the most gorgeous mangoes I wish I could take home and was sooo clean and colorful. Once I got to the hotel, Omar and Dr. Kelly came up to go over my diet and Cecy made me some rice Water. I'd never tried rice water, but it has a nice cinnamon flavor. Omar went to get the other two couples then came back to get me. I took a big gatorade and headed to the bull fight with another couple. It was $20 for premium seats and $1 for a cushion (concrete seats). The food they brought by looked delicious, dried meat, fruit platters, but I sipped my gatorade. It was very...authentic. Beautiful bulls and horses. We stayed a little over an hour. Omar picked us up and we all went shopping at Avenida Revolución. You have to haggle for prices, but I yard sale every weekend so this is totally up my alley. I spent $33 on 3 luchador masks and some maracas. We stopped at Caesar's Restaurant which is the birthplace of the Caesar salad. It is made tableside with ground anchovies, dijon mustard, oil?, garlic, worchesterchire sauce, egg yolk, pepper, parm cheese & croutons. It looked really good. We then went out to eat at a mexican restaurant that has the.best.chicken.broth.ever. I don't remember the name of the place but I've never had broth that good, full of cilantro goodness. I chewed a tiny bite of rice with it. It was my first meal since Thursday night (3 days). I sipped too fast as about 5 minutes after I finished eating I felt way over full. You know how when you eat like a jumbo cheeseburger and fries then feel ugh? I felt that way after drinking 1/2 a cup of pineapple juice and maybe 3/4 cup broth. I kinda couldn't believe it until it happened to me.

We got back to the hotel around 9pm. I showered, changed my bandages, took my meds, went on the balcony to check out the city at night, then online way too late. I got up this morning around 5am and had a drinkable yogurt. Omar brought me some thin oatmeal Cecy made me around 8am. I'm sipping on it very slowly. I'm chilling in the room this morning watching HBO. I have no nausea or pain. I get a free broth and popsicle from the hotel daily so I'll be checking that out later today. So far I've had a great experience in Tj. You don't get this kind of personal service in the US.

Good luck Reese! It was nice meeting you yesterday. I'm sure you'll do great!

Thanks thinmymind, I had a lot of fun yesterday.

Wow, sounds like you have been busy, but having fun! So glad they are looking after you so well. You really wouldn't get that kind of personal service in the US, you are so right there!

Enjoy the time relaxing there in Tijuana! Back to reality soon! lol