Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous And Worried I Won't Be Able To Commit

I'm currently 660. I love chocolate, and I always find it extremely hard to NOT go out and eat, and eat at home instead. I work full-time and go to school full-time - so fast food is the easy out for dinner / lunch.

I know that post-surgery, I won't be able to eat any of the things I love right now.. that kind of scares me a little - I know that's the point - I guess I just feel doubts about my ability to follow doctors orders and the plan.. to stay motivated/committed - especially when I'm eating with family and friends.

I want this more than anything and to be successful, I also am really nervous/scared about the surgery - this will be the most invasive surgery I've had since my tonsillectomy in 88'.

Anyone else here have doubts about being able to commit post surgery? How did you deal with them? Do you still have cravings for sweets?

FYI - I just met with nutritionist, psychologist, and exercise physiologist last week. My surgery will be in the next month or two, I'm assuming. The sooner the better - so I can at least be done with the Anxiety - and get started living.

Of course.. Everyday until I had it. We all were scared. But what got me through was the thought that one day the person I know is on the inside will be on the outside. A better life. Happier. This tool that we have chosen has been the answer to my prayers. Almost 50 pounds down in 6 weeks. And I know it will stay off.

You will have some hoops to jump through, as most of us did. There will be medical tests, insurance documentation, psych eval and othere challenges, but the biggest one will be the pre-op diet. Some of these run 2 weeks, others up to 6 months. The two week pre-op diet is usually an all liquid diet, though some are allowed one sparse meal of real food per day, depending on doctor's orders. The object of the pre-op diet is to shrink you liver so the doctor can get at your stomach without nicking it. It's tough, but not impossible. Most of us had the same doubts, but got through it. The first few days are the worst, then it smoothes out. We all faced challenges during our pre-op diets like birthday parties, holiday feasts, etc, but if you make it through (and you will) you will have demonstrated that level of commitment. After surgery, you can look forward to about 6 weeks of liquids, then mushies, then real food. Here's the neat thing though.....you probably won't be hungry, and you will find that many of the things that led to your weight gain over the years you won't be so attracted to. Couple that with the fact that initially your stomach will only hold about 3 ounces, you will feel full very quickly when you eat. Good luck, and I assure you that you won't regret this decision. We're all here pulling for you. Use this site as a support resource and post whenever you have question.

I was 352 and a chocaholic too. Between the two week pre-op diet and my liquids stage afterwards, I lost ANY love for sweets for months. I now appreciate something sweet on occasion, but it's nowhere near the problem it was before. My biggest obsession these days is cheetos! LOL

You are a strong person to step up and ask for help with your obesity. But, the sleeve will help you to begin losing the weight. Whether you're committed mentally right now or not, you will commit fully once that weight starts dropping off you. I worried that I wouldn't be able to make myself exercise...and now I'm addicted to the gym! :)

Good luck! I can't wait to see how fast your weight comes off you!! :)

Thanks for the support. Helps me to know I can deal with it..and that I will be able to do this...

I, like you, ate fast food almost three times a day,it was faster, easier, and,available..One day I just made up my mind,to cut back and i did that down to one time a day.i prepared my food at home other times,it was surprising i started losing weight just doing that.If you really have doubts,start now cutting back,or maybe subsituting one meal with a Protein Shake, just to see how you do. I am 2months post op and now once a day I go get pintos and cheese from taco bell.thats my one guilty pleasure,but it has Protein and are good for you.and i cant even finish the small container,but you can do it! take one day at a time,and it will get easier

No one could have prepared me for post-surgery eating. I am now having to see a therapist about my AVERSION to food. WTH, right? I would just rather not be bothered with eating. If I do have cravings, it's for savory things, not chocolate or sweets. Now, don't get me wrong. I want a greasy, nasty taco from Taco Bell, but I would rather not destroy my stomach.

You are going to do great. It's the hardest, best thing you will do for yourself. And I bet the pounds are going to melt off of you.

As for meal prep, there are probably a lot of folks around here who could help out with easy meal prep and freezer to microwave meals for you to eat on the go. (My husband is the chef in our house.)

I was the same way - at least 2 of my 3 meals a day tended to be fast food, simply because I was too tired/lazy/didn't have the energy to go to the grocery store or cook something healthy for myself to eat. At some point, I may have even convinced myself I wasn't worth the effort. This made me very nervous about committing to the pre-op and post-op diet. I was originally supposed to get my surgery in January but because of those apprehensions alone, I took a step back and really thought about it. What I realized was that when I lose my weight (or start to, I should say), my energy is going to come back (major bonus) so I won't be as tired to go to the store or cook. In addition, and my favorite thing about the sleeve, it forces you to eat right - if you go a week after surgery and try to eat a cheeseburger, you're going to find out real fast why that's a bad idea so it's a wonderful tool to keep me on track. For me, I knew how to diet, I knew how to lose weight but I needed that little something that kept me there.

You can do it. I can see that skinny guy inside you already. :)

I used to have fast food at least once a day, and I LOVED sweets. I was worried that. Wouldn't be able to give these things up, but I have found it to be fairly easy after surgery. I do still eat fast food on occasion. One of my favorite things to get is an in n out cheeseburger wrapped in lettuce. The calories are actually pretty low and I cut it in half and have it for 2 meals. My sweet fix I actually get from my Calcium bites, I have chocolate, caramel and lemon. They taste ok and seem to satisfy that small urge I have for something sweet.

My favorite fast food item pre-surgery was McDonald's French fries. I stole one from my friend the other day and it tasted horrible. All I tasted and smelled was grease.

Good luck! You can do this!

I just want to chime in an let you know that I'm happy to see that you are taking these step. Some of us get dealt a rough hand metabolically speaking and while the surgical solution can be daunting it is at least a solution. I wish you well in your journey and someday, when we're both at our ideal weight maybe we can have a bicycle race. :)

I just want to chime in an let you know that I'm happy to see that you are taking these step. Some of us get dealt a rough hand metabolically speaking and while the surgical solution can be daunting it is at least a solution. I wish you well in your journey and someday, when we're both at our ideal weight maybe we can have a bicycle race. :)

That sounds good with me!

The way I got thru any doubts was meeting people who have had the surgery and YouTube...look at videos of people and their success or talk to people...I have a cousin tha weighed 574 lbs and now weighs 280 lbs...just seeing him was motivation for me... I joined him on This journey weighing in at 374 lbs I am 3 moths out and weigh 285...a few months after your surgery when you weigh around 300 lbs you'll think twice about eating unhealthy...youll buy new fresh looking clothes you'll be out and about having the time of your life

Patrick -- I know you are having your surgery next week and my thoughts and prayers are with you. I had the exact same doubts you did and asked the exact same question. I was sleeved June 11. While everyone's post operative experience is different, here is what no one told me that turned out to be my answer. I don't have any problem with eating foods I shouldn't right now because the idea of food -- any food -- grosses me out. I cannot imagine trying to eat a hamburger or fries or donuts or anything like that, and I am pretty sure that if I did it would make me really sick. While I am sure that this will change, by then I will have a month worth of detox -- at least- under my belt, which means I don't have to worry about kicking this stuff, just not restarting. If your experience is like mine, trying to keep away from junk will not be your biggest problem -- forcing yourself to eat will be. Getting used to being tired and giving yourself time to recover will be. Keeping hydrated will be. Staying away from McDonald's and mexican - no. I have lost 25 lbs-- all post op and I still can't believe it. You've got this -- good luck.

Patrick....i am 8 weeks post-op today... I too loved chocolate, ok, i loved everything .... i am 5'3" and starting weight was 328.... Like mentioned above, talking to people who had the surgery, helped me (some)...

what i didn't really understand was "head hunger"... after surgery i have not been hungry... I use the clock to tell me when to eat.... BUT .... There are times i think/thought i smell French fries or chocolate cake baking or bread cooking! i know they were/are NOT in the house but my mind "remembers" those things. (and more).... it gets easier, the brain starts to remember your smaller stomach more than old foods...((((i hope i am explaining this so you may understand...haven't tried to put into words before))))...

is it worth all the doubts and questions ? Heck yes! pre-op and post-op combined i am down 78 pounds!!!

if you need to talk, we are here to help you through this and any other issues that come up...

Patrick, love that name....it is my son's name :)

Listen, you can and will do this. Once you see the results you build energy and will be successful. Lots of hunger and cravings actually go away. My biggest issue was I did not want to be hungry anymore! Guess what... that shaky, hungry feeling has gone away for me...I will bet it does for you too and all you will miss will be, well NOTHING!

Take care

Sent from my iPad using VST