Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Week Post Op; I Have A Stricture

Things were getting better and by Saturday I was getting in all fluids and most of my Protein. Yesterday I started to have some trouble getting Water down again, and last night felt like everything was getting stuck in my esophagus. Doc called me back today and said I have a stricture and scheduled and EDG on Wednesday morning to stretch it out using a baloon device. Until then just have to tollerate pain with the narcs and tylenol again and a muscle relaxer they gave me and get as much fluids as I can but it hurts to drink. Uuuhg! Wish they could get me in tomorrow, its a pretty yucky feeling and I have to take care of my 17 month old all day tomorrow.

I really hope you start to feel better soon! I am almost one week out, and I feel for you! :wub:

Thanks. The doc said it usually only takes one attempt and I should feel right back where I did Saturday again once he fixes it. So, just a setback, I knew it was one of the risks of this surgery and I am that .1 % lol! I know it will be fine, I have a good doctor and I know he will do whatever it takes to make this right. Just wish it was tomorrow because it is very uncomfortable right now. He said just go to ER if I start to get any worse, or call him if anything changes until then and they have me on a muscle relaxer and lortab for pain and stomach cramping

hope you feel better soon and all goes well Wednesday! i'm glad you have a great doctor :)

Having a hard time sleeping tonight. I am so uncomfortable. The only thing that seems to help is to stop drinking Water, but then I will dehydrate. Feeling sad and wishing I could be having an easier experience like everyone else. I'm scared because I have been looking up all I can on strictures and some strictures can be a permanent issue that has to be stretched open every few months forever. Wondering if this is a pain I will have to live with forever? Will I go through this again 4 months down the road again over and over again. Some things on stomach strictures say risk of malnurishment and extreme weight loss due to not being able to hold food down. I want to lose weight, but I never wanted to starve to death ya know. I'm sure it can't be that bad considering I can still get a little liquid through right now, but hard not to think the worst when your feeling it with every little sip of water, and just that little sip even comes back up and the stomach gives me a big jolt with a terrible pain under my sternum as if I have food stuck in my esophagus. I am really praying for the best case scenerio, but laying in bed in so much discomfort hard not to feel a little defeated by the situation. I'm also so tired with not being able to sleep much. I know I just need some sleep and come Wednesday I'm sure everything will be fine and it won't be so bad. Just scared I may have done something that I will end up regretting in the long run if it doesn't turn out like all the success stories on here. If there is any other post-opers who have had this happen to them, or understand it better than I do that can offer some reassuring words and help me know things will be okay long term, I would really appreciate it. I'm having a hard time tonight, and just want to cry.

By the way, sorry if I seem to be whining too much today. Don't mean to be the Debby Downer on the forum tonight. I am normaly pretty positive about things. This is just really getting me down and needed to let it out a little.

I am not a "post-oper," but I just wanted to post to tell you that I hear your pain and fear, and to hang in there... Most everything looks brighter in the morning.

(((Raven))) It does stink to have a complication, but yours sounds like it will be an easy fix, if there is such a thing. I've always found that I need to stay OFF the medical sites when anything goes wrong because I'm the one who always assumes I'll have the worst-case scenario.

You're playing "what if". Well, WHAT IF they fix the stricture and there's never another problem? That's the WHAT IF I would be looking to get. Talk to your doctor about the chances of YOU having another stricture after this one is fixed. I'm betting they will be fairly low. :)

Lissa

"I've always found that I need to stay OFF the medical sites when anything goes wrong because I'm the one who always assumes I'll have the worst-case scenario."

I know, me too, its torture. I stopped after it got me freaked out, but a little too late. :) Thanks. Everything post-op was going so well. Then literally it came to a hault. It's hard not to wish this isn't really happening to me. I will be asking the doctor a lot of questions on Wednesday morning for sure.

Saying a prayer for you right now Raven!

poor lady no fair and you have a 17 mo old to take care of. hold on try and take it easy think only good thoughts when you can they will fix the stricture and you will feel better. saying prayers for you as i type. God bless!

Raven - thinking of you and sending prayers! None of use know what's going to come our way through this journey - just think you are getting your drama out of the way early and once you have the edg we will stand together to pray you will be done with those forever!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Hope eveything is going well for you now Raven. Things always seem worse at night, we tend to lose perspective (well I do anyway). Googliing medical stuff is a surefire way to send yourself into a panic - I do it all the time :huh: !

Good luck -things are always better during the day.