Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eraser-sized bite-sized pieces???

I've read that one should eat eraser-sized bite-sized pieces. Is this acurate? Cause that's corn kernal! Also, all you tuna eaters - are you using mayo? I drink about 3 cups of coffee every morning - is this going to end for me? I understand I'll need to eat our food without drink and chew until it's babyfood consistancy, but eraser-sized bites are super tiny. Thanks.

I started out with tiny, tiny bites (banded 6 weeks), but have found another technique which suits me better: normal sized bites that I chew and chew and chew, then I swallow little bits of it at a time, not all at once. This way I can really taste what I'm eating, and I don't feel so silly if I'm eating in company, putting tiny bits of food on my fork! The thinner the consistency of what you're swallowing, the better. I've learned that the hard way (think golfball:rolleyes)!

I wouldn't say my bites are eraser sized (unless I know I'm really tight), but they are a heck of a lot smaller than they used to be. My fiance can eat in 3 bites what is normally my entire portion of steak (or chicken or something). It's crazy!

coffee upset my stomach a little right after surgery, I think because it wasn't used to have the coffee on an empty stomach. I have no issues with it now (I just added extra milk before).

At first, I could eat small bites of food...probably regular bites for "normal" people. Not the super-size bites that I used to chow down.

Now, I have much more restriction, and if I am eating pure meat, I do cut it into pea-size bites, or I will get the "golfball."

It doesn't matter what people think, because everyone knows I have a lapband, so that pressure is not on me. It all depends on your level of restriction, as to how you need to deal with it.

I've been practicing small bites this week and it is tougher that I thought! I do find that when the bite is really small it's like I can't really tatse the food fully. I will try the medium sized bite/partial swallows method.

I'm surprised there isn't more discussion on the topic of bites, chewing and swallowing. I mean afterall, we are all big eaters at heart. I know I am particularilly interested in this area. I am pre-op. I've been thinking about it a lot. I've been eating lately like I'm heading for the electric chair. I wonder if people will notice me taking small bites and then chewing, chewing, chewing, chewing. I'm thinking perhaps I should carry a cloth napkin in my purse at all times just in case I need to hurl before I can get to the ladies room. Just think about it.... ladies take forever in the bathroom and we often stand in line for a long time for our turn. I understand that some foods don't taste that great when chewed up so much. I think I will really, really miss bread. But I at this point, I would do anything to be 75# thinner. I really can't wait to be banded and filled so I can see first hand what it's all about.

When I finally got to eat solid food, I did eat the tiny pieces. The food doesn't have all that much flavor when they are so tiny (IMHO). I really missed chewing food. Such pleasure. Just cause I have the band doesn't change that. So, my bites now are a bit bigger (but nothing like they used to be). I chew well and swallow a little bit at a time. I never do that when I can be distracted (like at a dinner party), only when I am home - which is usual. I'm a lot happier.

I do the "take small/normal bites and chew till liquid, then swallow in stages" technique and it works pretty well for the most part. When I PB, it seems to be more from problem foods than from bites that are too big.

I take normal bites (about 1/2" to 3/4") and chew thoroughly and find chicken to be the hardest solid Protein for me to tolerate.

I was banded on 8/10/06. I have had a hard time staying on the liquid diet. I have started eating small amounts meats, especially chicken, and taking tinny bites. but I had a bad day yesterday I ate to much and felt sick, did not get sick but just felt the golf ball all night long. I am a bit frustrated cause I have not lost any further weight. I do feel restricted still since I can only east so much. I lost 17 pounds the first two weeks but on my third week since I have been eating a little more solids I have gained 5 pounds back. Will I gradually loose or what do I need to do....

sweetsue--you wondered if people will notice you taking tiny bites and chewing, chewing chewing. When preparing my plate, I cut my meat into small--not microscopic pieces-because that is what works best FOR ME. I think us rubenesque girls are so used to being self-conscious that we are kinda paranoid. I like to tell myself ,,"What makes me think that I am so important as to be the center ot discussion ?" I believe we are much harder on ourselves than our friends, co-workers, relatives could ever be. For ME,,,it takes self-talk and therapy(ongoing,,lol) to get past the fear of others judging me. I am me,,i take small bites and chew thoroughly and I smile and listen to the conversations going on around me. I enjoy who I'm becoming,,and worrying about what others think of ANYTHING I do will not impede my progress!!! WHEW,,,I needed to hear that ,,hahaha.

Banded 1/29/07

Dr Ken Cleveland_CMMC-Jackson, MS

I've read that one should eat eraser-sized bite-sized pieces. Is this acurate? Cause that's corn kernal! Also, all you tuna eaters - are you using mayo? I drink about 3 cups of coffee every morning - is this going to end for me? I understand I'll need to eat our food without drink and chew until it's babyfood consistancy, but eraser-sized bites are super tiny. Thanks.

Yes, your bites should be the size of a pencil eraser. Make sure you chew really well. I totally use may on my tuna. It makes it go down so much smoother. I also drink caffeine every morning before I have my Protein shake. Good luck.

If your having trouble maintaining the small bites, try the tools on this site www.portioncontrolconcepts.com. They have convenient and elegant small bite utensils, that come in a pouch so you can carry it with you.

Great website !!

Once you achieve restriction, nothing larger than the size of a pencil eraser will be able to pass through the stoma.

To avoid problems, it really is a good idea to start out with bites the size of a pencil eraser---that way, if you accidentally swallow without chewing as well as you intend (and this does happen!), you will not introduce anything to your stomach that is apt to cause you problems.

As for your coffee question---I don't know what your doctor recommends, but mine vetoes coffee (and caffeine in general, for six months). It was a very difficult habit to break!

I do use a little mayo with my tuna---not too much, though, because a nice, dense Protein can be transformed into a slider food pretty easily if lubed too much.