Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting To Back Out

My date is Tuesday Iam very nerves it's like that I really want to change but scared at the same time.

I felt exactly the same way that you are feeling now. I didn't tell anyone but my husband that I was having the surgery and had to drive 6 hrs. away to have my surgery...ALONE!!! My husband wasn't able to go with me for the initial surgery so I spent the day and night before the surgery in my hotel room crying and having panic attacks. I was terrified thast something was going to go wrong and also that something would go wrong and I would have to tell my crazy parents(whom I love with all my heart). Well nothing went wrong what so ever and I am 1 year and one month out and have lost 80 glorious pounds and would do it again in a heartbeat to have this outcome! I still want to lose another 50 lbs but if I don't lose another pound I will be satisifed!!! My whole life has changed, not to mention my attitude. Please look past the surgery and the recovery right after the surgery and try to focus on you and who you will be after the healing is over. Good luck and God bless!

I was nervous before my surgery, but listed the reasons for me to have it: early death, dealing with the horrendous complications of diabetes, no stamina, an inability and no desire to get out and do things. Once I had those listed, I again realized there was no alternative to getting the surgery and I was no longer nervous. Of course, your reasons for the surgery may be different and you must make up your mind about what is right for you, I just wanted to share my experience.

To be scared is normal, but if you are doubting your decision or going in with serious reservations, perhaps you can call and postpone your surgery, just so you can have some more time to consider & prepare. This is not something to be impetuous about, it is a forever decision. You'll want to be in a really good, solid place mentally before because if you aren't, it's only going to be that much harder after.

My date is Tuesday Iam very nerves it's like that I really want to change but scared at the same time.

With any decision of lasting impact it pays to write down the pros and cons. One of the very first things I did when I started looking into WLS was write down my reasons. It goes far beyond vanity, it involves my long-term health. In my case the triggering factor are the words pre-diabetic. I know where that can lead and is likely to lead; I don't want to go down that road.

As it is today, I can hop on a bike and ride without exhaustion and I can even make good time. I take a hike around the block nearly every day and where I live, around the block exceeds two miles. I feel good most of the time and have very little restriction upon my activity. All that having been said, I want to preserve that for the future and hopefully make things better. I'm tired of having a CPAP machine and I'm tired of taking prescriptions. If I look at my medical history over the last ten years it seems that every year or two I get one more prescription. If I get off of all of them it would easily save the cost of surgery within a year; an incentive I intend to use if I have to fight the insurance company for approval.

Now, I'm giving you my reasons for two purposes; to remind myself of why I am pursuing this and also to help you remember the thought processes that have taken you up to this point. Your reasons may well be different than mine but I'd be surprised if they were any less thorough.

The only other thing I will mention is this; as the veteran of several surgeries I can state that it's never easy to face, even when the surgery is a simple, low-risk arthroscopy of the knee. It's rough to face on your own, I've been there myself having been dropped off at the hospital by a friend and picked up later in the day for a ride home. My advice to you would be to call upon whatever sources of emotional support you have available; people that will really help and that really want the best for you. Then, do what you think will be best in the long run.

Whether or not to go through with this surgery is a decision only you can make but be advised, you are up to the challenge if you choose to go through with it.

I too have my surgery on Tuesday and I understand how you feel. Sometimes I ask if I am being selfish with this decision. What if I don't come out? How will my husband handle our five kids? So many thoughts and questions go on in my head but I try to take a deep breath and think about all the reasons I decided to do this in the first place........we will get through this mama. We are going to be sleeve twins....:)

KEEP YOUR MIND ON THE OUTCOME!! Don't reschedule. You've come this far already. Look toward to the future!! You got this!! YOU GOT THIS!!!

I felt exactly the same way that you are feeling now. I didn't tell anyone but my husband that I was having the surgery and had to drive 6 hrs. away to have my surgery...ALONE!!! My husband wasn't able to go with me for the initial surgery so I spent the day and night before the surgery in my hotel room crying and having panic attacks. I was terrified thast something was going to go wrong and also that something would go wrong and I would have to tell my crazy parents(whom I love with all my heart). Well nothing went wrong what so ever and I am 1 year and one month out and have lost 80 glorious pounds and would do it again in a heartbeat to have this outcome! I still want to lose another 50 lbs but if I don't lose another pound I will be satisifed!!! My whole life has changed, not to mention my attitude. Please look past the surgery and the recovery right after the surgery and try to focus on you and who you will be after the healing is over. Good luck and God bless!

This was helpful! i am pretty much in the same boat. I am a nervous wreck that something will happen to me and my husband is active duty and not sure he will be able to be here with me...12 hours away. Congrats on your success!!

This was helpful! i am pretty much in the same boat. I am a nervous wreck that something will happen to me and my husband is active duty and not sure he will be able to be here with me...12 hours away. Congrats on your success!!

I'm so glad this helped you! It's not easy going through this alone but know that the outcome is so worth it! I do hope your husband is able to be there for you. I hope your surgery goes well and the recovery is quick for you! You won't believe how great you are going to feel in a rather short period!!!

I did what everyone else is telling u to do. And still am. Don't think about what u will go thru. Think of the outcome!!

I'm not sure I understand all the nerves? Maybe it's because I've had surgery before - been there, done that - so it doesn't scare me. I'm just excited - ready to get this thing overwith and get on with the rest of my life! LOL

I wonder if she went through with the surgery. Sure hope she did.

We all felt the same way, more than once I thought I was gonna puke my nerves were so on edge.

No one CAN or should try and convince you of this, this is entirely YOUR decision. All we can offer is the proof of results from the operation. I used to weigh 375 pounds, now I weigh 205. I went from a size 52 (tight) to a size 36 (loose) pants. ALL my medical issue either went away or are greatly reduced. I exercise now, feel great and look, well, {blush} FANTASTIC - at least compared to what I USED to look like. I have in the space of a little more than a year TOTALLY reinvented myself for the better. IT SAVED MY LIFE. You can do it too.

We all felt the same way' date=' more than once I thought I was gonna puke my nerves were so on edge.

No one CAN or should try and convince you of this, this is entirely YOUR decision. All we can offer is the proof of results from the operation. I used to weigh 375 pounds, now I weigh 205. I went from a size 52 (tight) to a size 36 (loose) pants. ALL my medical issue either went away or are greatly reduced. I exercise now, feel great and look, well, {blush} FANTASTIC - at least compared to what I USED to look like. I have in the space of a little more than a year TOTALLY reinvented myself for the better. IT SAVED MY LIFE. You can do it too.[/quote']

Awesome!! I'm 379 now. What a motivation!! Thank you!