Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The thing is you won't know if losing 40 pounds before surgery is something that only this Surgeon will suggest to you until you get a second opinion from a doctor in another practice. The other doctor may have more experience with higher BMI patients and require you to go on a liquid diet. The amount of time on the diet is based on your BMI. They do this to reduce the size of your liver to make the surgery safer.

Also make sure the surgeon you choose is certified to do bariatric surgery.

The other side of this is that you must be comfortable with your doctor he's going to be in your life for a while here so no sense in being miserable. This first surgeon has a more caustic manner than you may be comfortable with. Unless your insurance company is saying that he is the only one who can do your surgery, if I were you, I'd keep looking around

I went to see the most popular surgeon in Dallas and hated him. He felt like a used car salesman to me. He was not caring or even took time to talk with me about my options, he just told me that I had to have the surgery and if I didn't start an Atkins like plan that day he would not see me again. I too am self pay and I was not about to settle for this guy just because he is on every billboard in town. I prayed about it and kept searching. I found a wonderful doctor who actually performs more surgeries per year than the other doctor. He also told me to lose about 20-40 pounds before the surgery but gave me some great suggestions on how to do it. I have lost 10 pounds this past week and still have 7 weeks till surgery. I feel confiedent that I have found the right surgeon after months of searching. There is someone better out there, just keep looking and don't be discouraged.

I am also in WA but i had a great doctor...didn't sugar coat anything but didn't hold back either.... I guess the point i want to make is: if you did not feel like the doctor was "speaking with your best interest in mind". Find another doctor! ... There are more doctors in WA... Good ones, who will praise you for taking the first step to a healthier you... Good luck and let me know if there is anything i may do to help..

While many of us know the reality of the sleeve, there are thousands out there that don't. I have sat in many, many seminars and listened to people completely miss the entire purpose of the surgery. If you don't like the doctor's bedisde manner, find another.

The first doctor I spoke with (Dr. Michael Cho at Strax Rejuvenation in Fort Lauderhill, FL) was very nice, but I truly felt like I was standing in line at a deli with someone yelling "NEXT!" the whole time I was in his office. I was researching the band at the time and he didn't even discuss other options with me, nor did he look at my existing medical problems. He just said yep, he could do it and then sent me to their money person.

I called several people I knew and finally confessed to one of my best friends, a nurse, that I was considering WLS. She immediately provided me the name of my surgeon, Dr. Domkowski in Sebastian, FL and gave him a glowing review. ER nurses don't typically like most of the doctors they deal with, so this meant tons to me.

Every time I have spoken to Dr D, he's been kind and professional, while still being completely honest about my chances and risks. I had a ton of health complications, including blood clots and pulmonary embolisms, so I was definitely high risk. Dr D even had me come back in for an extra pre-op visit to discuss my feelings about surgery and whether I was truly ready to take such a big risk. Then he reassured me that he felt my surgery would be successful, and it has been. He's been caring and kind at every post-op visit as well!

My point is that you MUST be comfortable with your surgeon pre-op or you're just going to hate your post-op care as well. Yes, higher BMI is a big risk, but so are the complications of obesity. You didn't post your BMI, but mine was 53, which is pretty high. Add in all the co-morbidities and it was scary having the surgery, but my doctor, while making me aware of the risks, did it in a manner that left me feeling confident in his ability to get me through the surgery. I was self-pay as well, but I never got the feeling the Dr D was just going to take my money and then leave me to struggle through on my own, and he hasn't.

Keep looking until you find a doctor that you like. You're putting your life in his or her hands and you should be able to feel completely confident in his or her abilities.

Good luck!!

I'm in WA State too and the first seminar I went to I found I didn't care for the Dr. For some reason he came across, at least to me, as a bit condescending. His approach seemed like he was trying to "save the world" from having any obese people.

The surgeon I went with is a fast talker, straight to the point, but very very knowledgable. I had to lose 12% of my body weight which I have and then some - my surgery is scheduled for June 4th. What I am really happy with is all the care he takes with your pre-op results. I had a history of cancer and during my abdominal ultrasound it showed a liver hemangioma that I have had for quite some time - my Dr had me get my last CT scan and he sent it and the US for a 2nd opinion. I'm happy with my choice of Drs which is so important because as you get closer to surgery you seem to 2nd guess everything and that last thing you want to do is 2nd guess your surgeon!

Had my first visit with the surgeon... It seriously took all my courage to get in there.... As I have been contemplating this for years....I found him to be cavalier and a fast talker.... He tod me about a patient he had that died with my BMI.....Telling me I will die without this but he's not willing to do it unless I lose at least 40 plus pounds and prove to him I'm serious.... I'm self pay... I'm so serious.... I feel shell shocked right now.....

I am just wondering what is your BMi ?

I agree with the folks who suggested you talk with someone else. This may be a wonderful doctor, but it is essential that you are with someone you trust and it sounds as though you are not in a good place with that. Some folks love the tough talk in doctors and counselors, etc. I don't. I want the information, but for me, presentation is important. Treat me like a partner in the process, not like you are doing me a favor.

Congrats on taking the step. You will find someone you like. And you might still have to lose the weight beforehand, but perhaps you will be able to work with a doctor who provides strategies for doing so.

All the best!

No if ands or buts about it, I would find a new doctor. That military, soap box approach to weightloss pisses me off. Of course you know the seriousness of losing weight...that's why you're there. Screw him, there are plenty other qualified doctors in the country that cares about their patients and would be happy to have a self pay. Best of Luck sweetie, don't let one jerk get you down.

Thank you everyone for your support.... I still feel a bit humiliated by the doctors approach not because of the request for me to Lose wt but his general cavalier glib attitude. I sure do appreciate everyones support... I wish I knew other Washington state bariatric surgeons ..... Any suggestions? Thank you......

Moon, I would absolutely find a new doctor! I love my docs, I go to a practice that has 2 drs. They do their surgeries together. They say 4 eyes are better than one! Anyway, I love them both. You need to be comfortable with them, not be afraid to go to your appointments. Good luck!

Lori

I am going to Dr Chebli - he practices out of both Northwest Hospital and Evergreen Hospital. He is a real straight shooter, does require you to lose 12% of your weight before hand but also is very thorough with all the pre-op testing so that there is no health condition that is missed. I choose him after much research and the fact he was named as a "Top Doctor". He has a website at http://www.northwestobesitysurgery.com/changedlife-body-news.html

I'm happy with him as my surgeon.

Also meant to add in - check out the various bariatric centers, most have seminars that you can attend for free that will give you a presentation by the Dr. I went to one and didn't care for the presentation from the Dr which let him off my list without me having to pay for an office visit.