Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 Days To Sleeve...how Strict Were You With Liquid Diet?

my surgeon said to be on 2 wk liquid diet. What happens if I start strict today, my surgery date is May 22

I have had 2 Protein Meal Replacements and somehow managed to cheat with somthing small (ex salsa & some tortilla chips).

I hope it's ok.....

I never wavered from the diet. I was too scared to do it. I know others have, I just couldn't. What if my liver didn't shrink enough? Or what if they could tell (lol). All you can do is start over. Stick to the Protein Shake and liquids... I know it sucks.

You need to be strict with your liquid diet. This is a test to see if you can do what you need to do for yourself. Cheating on the liquid diet only cheats yourself. If your liver hasn't shrunk enough, your surgeon could decide to not do the sleeve, and then where will you be?

I know there are lots of different diets prescribed by different surgeons, but your doctor has asked you to do 10 days of liquids because your doctor feels that will give you the best outcome with his or her surgical technique. Please follow your doctor's instructions to the letter. It's a gift to yourself!

Mine starts May 21st and I have to go 14 days on three shakes a day and the only other thing I am allowed is sugar-free Jello and sugar-free popsicles. I was told that if the liver doesn't shrink enough, he will close up his patients because he will know they didn't do the 14 day liquids.

I figure if I am going to go to the length of having 85% of my stomach removed and face possible life-threatening complications I should follow the directions.

Good luck to you, I know this is going to be tough and I've got a whole week to sit and think about it but I'm still trying to follow my diet, before I start the liquids. I quit the caffeine already and that's definitely been tough on me, I'm hoping the rest will be easier.

Be strict - be as strict as humanly possible. I never cheated, but my surgeon had a plan that was a bit more liberal so that helped. He allowed liquids plus a few veggies off a selected list. So being able to eat a little "real food" helped.

It can be frustrating to know that different surgeons have different protocol for the pre-op diet. Some don't even require one! But you choose your surgeon because you trust him/her, so its important to follow his/her protocol. I've heard horror stories of patients cheating on their pre-op diet, the surgeon gets in there and can see from their liver that they cheated, and sews them back up without doing the surgery. Now this could be a scare tactic, and not a real story... but the pre-op diet is to make your surgery as safe as possible and also to insure that you can follow instructions and make major life changes.

Don't beat yourself up over a little slip-up... but if you have a major slip-up, it is probably safest to tell your surgeon's team and let them decide if they want to proceed or re-schedule your surgery.

I know this is tough! I honestly thought the pre-op diet was the hardest part of my journey - thank goodness it only lasted 2 weeks! I will tell you, though, that if you can power through the first three days it gets MUCH easier after that.

YOU CAN DO IT!!! Hang in there, and keep your goal in mind. Once you are sleeved, you don't have to suffer through crazy diets like this (without a powerful tool) ever again!

I am proud to say I have stuck to the liquid diet like glue!

NewMe, That's awesome! :) Your liver will thank you for following your pre-op diet!

I followed my liquid diet and never cheated. It was a real struggle but I wanted my liver in good shape.

The day before surgery I had to have an endoscope because I was a band revision. After it was done my doctor ask if everything was ok or if I needed anything. I laughed and said yeah I need to eat. He shocked the heck outta me and said ok, you can eat today, but nothing after midnight!!!!

It was a great day!

Don't cheat you can do it!!! It's hard the first couple of days but do it you'll be glad you did. I lost 16lbs in 7 days on my liquid diet and was thrilled. When you have the surgery they put a retractor over your liver to pull it up so you must shrink it as much as possible. If you cheat now you'll cheat after surgery DON'T DO IT! Be strong

NewMe' date=' That's awesome! :) Your liver will thank you for following your pre-op diet![/quote']

Its been tough as nails...I took my 4 yr old to McDonalds...and cooked for the family. And it was hard...but I am super proud of myself for being strong!! Thanks lissa!!

Btw your last day to eat get your favorite foods and enjoy trust me

If it helps motivate you at all I've lost 75lbs sense December 28 you can do it ;)

Thank you all for your words of inspiration!!!