Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September Bandsters

ItsGottaGo,

This too shall pass as they say. It's really hard. I'm 16 days post op and my diet is thick puree or anything I can mash with a fork. I am starving. The first 10 days were great. I wasn't hungry at all. That has passed for sure.

Last night a had filet of fish stewed and then I mashed it. I had a problem with pains in my stomach. Even though my surgeon's office has permitted me to eat foods that I can mash with a fork, I know I'm not ready yet. Yesterday was the first day I did that. I'm not ready. I can eat thick Soups but that's about it.

Hang in there. You're really doing a great job. Every surgeon is so different. It's unbelievable. I was permitted to have Soup after 6 meals of liquids after coming home from the hospital. Basically, I was on Clear Liquids for a total of 3 days.

You're doing a great job. We all have to keep our eye on the prize.

Good luck.

Just got back from Nashville for my first post-op appointment. He did go ahead and give me the fill. He asked me if I was able to chug Water, I said I was able to drink as much and as fast as I wanted, and so he said it was time to do a fill.

Congratz MCW on your first fill!!

I am ready for also but have to wait 7 weeks post op...:think

Although I can not eat as much as I use too I am able to eat what I want and drink Water pretty fast..

Almost 3 weeks down and only 4 more to go!!! :clap2:

What band do you have?

How much of a fill did you get?

TTFN

Steph

4cc band

Well, now I'm hungry too! It's the oral thing for me - need to bite/crunch/chew on something. I can eat 1 1/2 cup Soup now. Dr. says I can't have pureed foods until October - yikes! No way I'm going to be able to just eat Soups, shakes, yougert and popsicles until then.

Can anyone explain the chewing thing to me - I understand that it's so that the food can get from the upper pouch down to the lower stomach. But...I remember hearing that another part of the reason was to help in digestion.

Q: doesn't the lower part of the stomach do most of the digesting (or at least the remaining required digestion)?

Q2: if you don't have a fill - won't the passage between the pouch and stomach be larger - which would require less chewing?

I was banded on September 19th and everything went great. However, I would love to burp, but nothing happens. Any suggestions?

I was banded on September 19th and everything went great. However, I would love to burp, but nothing happens. Any suggestions?

walk and move around. Walking has really helped me with gas.

Walking does help alot and moving arms over head. My hubby pounded me on the back like a baby and That helped too!! I know why babies cry with gas pains now!! Gas x helps too.

I hope all went well today for jgandg, WandaKay, Dallasmist, and JewelsInLove. I hope you are all resting comfortably, and walking when possible.

Good luck tomorrow to diane5467, kellieatkins30, Lila, shell04937, and venetiaann. Try to get a good nights sleep tonight, and you will be joining bandland in no time.

Hopeworks: I think one of the reasons we start getting hungry is because some of the swelling is going down and the restriction in the area that we initially felt is getting less and less as we heal.

I asked about s/f gum and my doc's asst. said that it is fine to use to help with the need for chewing. And with that awful taste we get.

My doc gave me a really small baby spoon. He said that not only do I need to use it to slow me down, but that I also need to chew at least 12 times before I swallow the food. Once we get back into meats & veggies, I need to chew 32 times per baby spoon bite. He said that it is very dangerous to eat too fast. One reason besides the obvious (PB) is that food can stack up in the esophogus and even if we don't realize that it is doing that, it can damage the esophogus to such an extent that it could cause slippage or erosion of the band. Then they'd have to open us up again.

This is just what my doc's office preaches. You probably should check again with yours since they're all operating from (no pun intended) different points of view.

Hi, everyone! Got home from the hospital this afternoon after an overnight stay. Coming from someone who doesn't sleep well, I really enjoyed the anesthesia and frequent naps.

Aside from some pretty intense nausea in the recovery room, I' feeling generally okay. If I could only move this gas from between my shoulder blades I'd feel perfectly normal, just a little tired.

So here I sit in my satin I Love Lucy pajamas, sipping my 30 cc of dilute applejuice every 20 minutes and taking walks and naps throughout the day. And I have control of the remote!

Does it get any better than this?

MC (dreaming of shopping in a normal clothing store)

Yea MarieCarmen!! Sounds like you're doing really well! The shoulder pain seems to bother everyone at a different rate. It really helps to raise and lower your arms while you walk.

Congrats that you've joined the ranks of the September bandsters! Milk the pain thing and try to stay in control of the remote as long as you can!

Glad you did so well!! The more you walk the better you will feel!! Take all the time you can it goes too fast!!! The remote will be gone as soon as your witnessed walking upright!:)

it is very dangerous to eat too fast. One reason besides the obvious (PB) is that food can stack up in the esophogus and even if we don't realize that it is doing that, it can damage the esophogus to such an extent that it could cause slippage or erosion of the band. Then they'd have to open us up again.

WOW! Great reason to do what the Dr says! Thanks!!!! I was thinking, well if I don't feel any pain, then it must be going down just fine. Yikes.

I am so much better today with hunger. I was hungry for savory non sweet Protein sources. I stopped on the way home and got two servings of ( one for me and one for DH) pot roast with carrots and potatoes- put it in the blender and thinned it with beef stock!! That hit the spot!! Plus I have 4 more servings of it!! All the sugar free popscicles, pudding, applesauce, soft allowable foods are sweet!! I was sooooo ready for salty with more than thin consistency!! There is hope for making another week , then mushies!!

Congratz MCW on your first fill!!

I am ready for also but have to wait 7 weeks post op...:think

Although I can not eat as much as I use too I am able to eat what I want and drink Water pretty fast..

Almost 3 weeks down and only 4 more to go!!! :clap2:

What band do you have?

How much of a fill did you get?

TTFN

Steph

4cc band

Hi Stephanie,

I'm pretty sure I have the 4cc band. I guess that would have been a great question to ask when I was at the doctor's yesterday, but I was a little sidetracked with the syringe sticking out of my stomach. ha. And again, sidetracked, but I'm 99 percent sure he said 1.6 when he pulled the needle out. I ate just a little bit today, don't really feel that much restriction. I'm already ready to go back in three weeks for my second fill!

I can definitely relate about being able to eat what you want to at this point. I was banded one day after you and I've pretty much been eating anything I want. :hungry: I had a major guilt trip after anything I would eat though because I was afraid I was stretching my pouch. I don't think anything happened though. I can eat what I want, but it's in moderation. Everything's okay.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap2:

I was banded on 9-20-06. I am just one day out and I am feeling pretty darn good. I lost 16 pounds before the surgery. My doctor put me on Medifast to move my liver out of the way before surgery. I have only taken Ibuprophen at this point. It hasn't been bad at all.