Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September Bandsters

Just got back from my fill. I'm a bit nervous actually. This is my 3rd fill now since the plastic surgery, and I had gained another 4 pounds by their scale, ofcourse I was different clothing, time of day, etc. still any way you look at it their was another gain.

I told her at the appointment I felt even more hungry and less restricted than I did before my last fill if that was possible. She said there was definitely a fill in their, no leaks. I hadn't actually thought thier were any but it was still nice to hear. She then put in a little over 1/2 cc and had me sit up with the needle still in me and try to drink some Water. Still no noticable restriction so she added more bringing it up to nearly 1cc and still I could drink the water like there was no band. For some reason this office doesn't believe barium swallows really do any good so she told me to go home eat mushies for 2 days and then call her in a week if I still didn't feel any restriction.

At this point my fill level is back up over 10cc, I know that it can hold more but my fear is that either I won't feel any restriction and I will have to start the process of figuring out how, why? (Slippage, Erosion, what?) or that thier will be a delayed reaction to the fill and I'll end up so tight by the end of the week that I'll have to look stupid and go back for an unfill.

I do have a theory on why I was less restricted after my last fill. At my last fill I had asked out of mere curiousity how much was in my band according to the charts and she said "well, why don't I just pull out the Fluid and check." I hadn't asked her to, infact I think I said it wasn't necessary and they could just look in the charts but she insisted it was no trouble and proceeded to do it. Afterwards she put it all back in plus around 1/2cc. Why would I think this has anything to do with it? Well I know someone that has worked in a lapband office for years and her theory is that when the band is tightened around your stomach there are some natural folds of the stomach wall that occur and when you remove and replace the fluids even in one sitting it can cause those folds to lay differently inside the stomach making the same fill level either feel tighter or looser. She also has this theory about old foods that have stuck within the folds and not fallen through the band causing you to feel more restricted then when the fluid is drawn out those foods drop through and you feel less restricted after the fluid is put back in.

Who knows how sound those ideas are but they are what I'm hoping for as I'd hate for it to turn out to be some sort of complication.

Diane: I can feel your anxiety and I hope that all is well with your fill. I find that my band seems to get a little tighter about 1 week after my fill. Maybe it is the folds in the stomach theory. I can't imagine that there is anything wrong with your band, because if there was, I think you would feel tight not loose. Hopefully this fill will be the trick. Good luck. Keep in touch!

Diane: That's a very interesting theory. It would certainly explain why after my most recent fill, with more restriction than ever before, I can eat anything!

You may very well tighten up in a week or two. I'm thinking that may happen to me as well. That's what happened to me last summer. I was fine and then as the weeks went by, I wound up being so over restricted that I couldn't eat anything much at all. It was bad because the only thing that didn't hurt was ice cream - I could eat plenty of that which was not good!

I think sometimes that we live with restriction that isn't right because we don't want to be pests and we want to be tough. We owe it to ourselves to be in control of our band if we want to do as well as possible.

I think you and karey are way ahead of the game now with your surgeries. The rest of what you want to lose will come off. Just be patient. Try to be happy with small losses. They count just as much as 4 lbs. a week over the long haul.

Congrats to both of you!

I had my fill on Friday and the doc actually mentioned the folds in the stomach theory. She said that a lot of her older (meaning have had the band for a while) bandster need less of a fill. I know that isn't your case Diane. The doc only put in .5cc which isn't much at all. I'm going to Puerto Rico in 2 weeks and she didn't want to give me too much for that reason. I complained but my DH was with me and he supported her. GRRR! Anyway, she also said that the band seems to tighten when you go from high altitude (Utah) to sea level. So I guess I'm stuck with a small fill for a while. My appetite doesn't seem to be as much since my surgery so hopefully it will be alright. Wish fills were more of an exact science.

Wow, I hadn't heard the high altitude theory. That would explain why I had so much trouble when we went to Scottsdale. I could hardly eat at all. I never once suspected altitude as playing a role. Thanks for the info. We plan a trip to Colorado in the fall.

As I re-read your post I realize that your doc said that going FROM a high altitude to a lower one is when there could be a problem. The doctor didn't say that going from a low altitude to a higher one could also be a problem, did he?

Doncha hate it when your spouse and your doc conspire?!

BJean: Maybe it's just what your band is use to that makes the difference?! Would you go to my thread on the plastics sections and read my post about my DD wedding dress? You're so level headed and would like your opinion. Thanks.

karey: I went there, comiserated, and probably didn't give you much help. Hang in there, grrl (as green would say). My heart goes out to you! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you all are able to get it resolved without too much heartache.

I've heard on traveling long distances especially in an airplane some people feel tighter for a day or so afterwards. It's not really the band tightening but something to do with tissue swelling. A good indicator is if your rings feel any tighter or your ankles are a bit swollen then it goes to follow the band will feel tighter as well. Two of the docs here in KC that I know reccommend sticking to softer foods the first 24 hours after traveling just to be safe.

Diane: That's interesting. I've been trying to decide if I should get another small fill before my trip. I'm worried I'll gain weight, but I guess I should be patient and maybe exercise some self-control! GRRR!

Gh0st: Great information! Thanks. I sure wish I had been aware of the possibility before my trip last summer. I would have been expecting it and would not have tried to eat anything but liquids or soft foods for a couple of days!

Well my trip to Puerto Rico turned out well. I was able to travel just fine. I'm going to have a fill next Wednesday and then call it quits until after the wedding. I hope you are all good. Please check out my thread and give me your opinion on a quesiton I posted there, about maybe needing some counseling. Thanks! http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f12/kareyquilts-tt-bl-lipo-ba-52831/index17.html#post809904

Hi all! It has been far too long since I have been on this forum. How is everyone?!? Life continues to be hectic and crazy over here but I am rolling with it. I had a big suprise a few weeks ago, I am now engaged! So onto wedding planning:)

I hope all are well, I miss you gals!

Miram: Congratulations! How exciting! We are just in the throes of all the last minute stuff for my DD's wedding. I'm very excited for it though. I'm so happy for you. You guys have already been through a lot together (same boyfriend, I'm assuming) and I'm sure you'll have a good marriage. Keep us informed of all the details. How did he ask you? Wishing you the best!