Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September Bandsters

Hi Val,

I take phentermine, it is a prescription appetite suppresant that I have used for years. I had some left over and after banding found that it helped a lot before I got a fill. My PCP knows I am taking them and renewed my prescription when I explained how it helped. I would never endorse it as the best thing to do but it has helped me when I have felt out of control, esp during TOM.

MimIN

thanks for the words of encouragement. the ups and downs of this process are unbelievable. it's nice to know that i can come here for support. i too use phentermine. i use to use the phentermine and pondimin (phen-phen) together. but of course that is no longer available. the phentermine seems like it works better with the band than when i used it by itself before band. thanks again for the encouragement and good luck on your journey.

STAYED THE SAME THIS WEEK. Been working 12 hour shifts, didn't have a chance to log on Mon. Getting a fill today, hopefully it will help.

Thanks ladies for the diet pill info and encouragement that everyone gives. I'm getting somewhat discouraged. I don't eat near as much as I used to but the weight stays the same and even goes up a little. Its been 3 + months since my sugery and I thought my weight loss would be much more. I'll keep trying and won't give up. I guess I will have to be more rigid with my diet. Keep up the good work everyone and thanks so much for this wonderful support group.

Later.

MOM,

I'm down 2 lbs this week. Sorry for the late posting but my internet has been down since Sunday. I am at Panera with my laptop now.

I definitely feel the restriction from my last fill, but am bummed that it wasn't enought to push me into Onederland last week. Oh well, I will get there eventually.

Valgal, I agree. I love this group, and consider this my internet "home base"! I know you're a little disappointed at your progress so far, and I was wondering where you are on fills? Can you get another? If your doctor wants to space them out, the phentermine might be a good option to tide you over until you get good restriction. But, I gotta warn you, it's often not covered by insurance, and can be expensive (I think over $100/mo.)

Speaking of fills, I think I overdid it with the +.5cc on Tuesday. It seemed fine yesterday am, but then seemed to tighten up to the point that I can barely eat purees. I'm trying to nibble on some pureed chili right now, and gotta take it super slow. Even Water seems to just trickle through. I wonder whether to try to tough it out, especially since it's my TOM, but I'm worried about needing an emergency unfill over the weekend. So, I think I probably should go get some taken back out. Mim, I know you've had an unfill. What made you decide to go back to have some saline taken out?

I guess I was more restricted before the fill than I thought. It's so hard to know just what *is* restriction, how much hunger is band-normal, etc, ya know?

Ummm....playing my own devil's advocate here...I guess that's why they say wait until you don't lose for two weeks before getting a fill! :doh:

Tami

Tami: I'm not sure what you should do, but I think you could be having a little reaction from the fill itself. You're probably a little swollen. I feel swollen for a few days after my fill and then it goes away. I guess you should call your doctor. Good luck!

Thanks, Karey, I think you're right. I posted on the main board, too, to get the opinions of some more experience bandsters, and they reassured me, too. I'll just stick with purees through the weekend, and take it slooooow!

One thing I noticed is that I have to think about drinking my Water. I usually drink water automatically, because I drink when I'm hungry. But...I'm not hungry :clap2: , so I don't think about water, either.

So, I'm gonna forget about the ol' band for a while, and get off this 'puter, and go get some stuff done. The Christmas cards have GOT to get out today, or someone punish me! :whip:

Tami

Tami- You are really doing well on your weight loss. I don't know what I can do to speed things up, but I'm feeling like I better figure it out. The Christmas crunch is getting to me, with 5 children things get crazy. I need to stop trying to make everything perfect, especially for my adult children. I'm trying to learn to put myself first, but it really is hard. If I didn't have this band, I'd probably be gaining weight with all the stress I've put myself under. I'll try and be thankful for what I have lost. (I just mailed my Christmas cards this morning.)

Valgal, I agree. I love this group, and consider this my internet "home base"! I know you're a little disappointed at your progress so far, and I was wondering where you are on fills? Can you get another? If your doctor wants to space them out, the phentermine might be a good option to tide you over until you get good restriction. But, I gotta warn you, it's often not covered by insurance, and can be expensive (I think over $100/mo.)

Speaking of fills, I think I overdid it with the +.5cc on Tuesday. It seemed fine yesterday am, but then seemed to tighten up to the point that I can barely eat purees. I'm trying to nibble on some pureed chili right now, and gotta take it super slow. Even Water seems to just trickle through. I wonder whether to try to tough it out, especially since it's my TOM, but I'm worried about needing an emergency unfill over the weekend. So, I think I probably should go get some taken back out. Mim, I know you've had an unfill. What made you decide to go back to have some saline taken out?

I guess I was more restricted before the fill than I thought. It's so hard to know just what *is* restriction, how much hunger is band-normal, etc, ya know?

Ummm....playing my own devil's advocate here...I guess that's why they say wait until you don't lose for two weeks before getting a fill! :doh:

Tami

Tami, I have had my second fill and I do feel restriction, I am not eating much but cannot exercise or even hardly walk at the end of the day because I have back problems. I sit at a desk and so I need to do something exercise wise. I have been doing my physical therapy exercises hoping that will help with the pain. I am hanging in there. I go back to the doctor Jan 11, that will be 6 weeks since my second fill. They tell me at my in-town support group that the 3rd fill is usually the "sweet spot" when everything starts coming together. I will let you know.

I have heard some people say that they get discouraged with the weight loss but then ... then... then... something happens and the weight starts dropping off. I can only hope that I am one of those people. Some lose it fast and first and others lag behind. That's me I think. I will keep tuning into this wonderful group listening and learning each day. God willing the weight will come off. Thanks for all of the wonderful encouragement. I love this group!!

Karey, you're doing fine with your weight loss! You're over 1/3 of the way to goal! I hate that some people might feel disappointed in their own weight loss becausing they are comparing themselves to the few of us who are naturally fast losers. We should compare ourselves to where we were last year, instead. I don't know about you, but I probably gained 10 lbs. last Christmas!

I know what you mean about the stress this time of the year, too. I have tried to back off of the "have to" stuff at Christmas, and stick with the "want to" stuff. Even so, there's just so much to do! And I still don't have my cards out! :welldone2:

Valgal, I'm sorry to hear about your back problems. I'll bet that once you get to the "sweet spot" and start dropping weight that it will make a big improvement on your back, too.

I've also heard of many people who didn't lose weight until 4-5 months and several fills into it. I've also heard of some people who were able to identify hormonal imbalances that were impacting their ability to lose weight. You might want to consider discussing that with your doc, if you haven't already. Specifically pcos (polycystic ovary syndrome) and Cushings Syndrome can really impact weight loss, even if you're doing everything right.

To my Jewish friends, Happy Chanukah! :kev:

Tami

Hi ya'll!

I'm down 4 lbs. this week. My fill last week really kicked butt. It's definitely working, but I'm not so sure I like it, because I'm struggling a lot more with eating. I still haven't PB'd, but get the "golfball" a LOT.

Tami