Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who Else Is Doing The 6 Month Wait?

for insurance?

How far along are you?

what's your story?

I dont know if this will take off, but it'd be nice if we could use this as a place to encourage one another, discuss waht we are going through, etc.

Wanna?

Hi AmyTug,

My name is Courtney and Im from New Orleans. I began my 6 month insurance required diet in January. I have my 6th and final NUT visit on June 1st, the from there it is going to be a waiting and praying game for the insurance approval. I have CIGNA OAP and I have heard different stories when it comes to how long it takes to get the approval. If anyone out there has CIGNA and can tell me how long it took for approval i would appreciate it.

Where are you in your journey Amytug/

Courtney

Not sure if I'll have to do a wait or not, in the process of pre-op tests (ultrasound, sleep study), I'm assuming I'll find out after the doctor has all the results and puts in for the approval. It's nervewracking for sure!

I began my journey in December. My 6th & final NUT class was on Monday, the pulmonoligist cleared me on Tuesday and the cardiologist cleared me yesterday. So, it's going to be a waiting game for me from here on out.

Sadly, I have a dilemma that may prevent me from getting the sleeve. My insurance company, BCBS of DE, still views the sleeve as a 2-part procedure; therefore, they require a bmi of 50 or higher. My bmi isn't even 40, but I have several co-mobidities (sp). Fortunately, my pcp is very confident that they won't give me a hard time. I hope that he's right. Of course, I will get approved for bypass or lapband without a doubt, but I don't want either one. :'(

Little bits

I went to bariatric with my mind set that I just wanted medical management to help me lose weight with diet and exercise alone. I am now complete on my 6 month insurance requirements and though I did lose weight, I am struggling and changed my mind about surgery. So now I have my appt's with nutrition, exercise and psych on June 14th, and my final pre-op consult with Dr. V. on July 5th. I have to wait until I see him to see if he wants a full endoscopy or just a barium swallow on me. After that, it will be waiting on approval. I have CIGNA, and another girl in my office who has same insurance and had the VSG was approved quickly after she completed all of the above with BMI of 43 (I think) and zero co-morbidities. My starting BMI was 42 with 3 co-morbidities, so I don't see an issue with approval on mine.

I started the 6th month supervised diet appt in november and completed my 6 month in April...ppwk sent to insurance and they received it on 4/30 began review on 5/1. And I was approved on 5/7...I have cigna... the months really flew by! I am the type of person who likes to have things done quickly so it was hard to have to go thru 6months...I also had to do a pysch evaluation, 4 dietician classes, sleep study... My mentor told me it would go by factor was all a learning experience and I'm grateful for the knowledge but I don't think anything helped more than watching tons of videos on YouTube! and I didn't believe her until it was over...it's totally worth it...I'm now just waiting for the scheduling call....

O and I'm 5'6 have 57 bmi. sleep apnea, borderline diabetes, pcos, high blood pressure, knee problems so with the comorbidities I was approved....

I started the 6th month supervised diet appt in november and completed my 6 month in April...ppwk sent to insurance and they received it on 4/30 began review on 5/1. And I was approved on 5/7...I have cigna... the months really flew by! My mentor told me it would and I didn't believe her until it was over...it's totally worth it...I'm now just waiting for the scheduling call....

Congrats...hopefully, I will hear something just as quickly!

Little bits

Congrats...hopefully, I will hear something just as quickly!

Little bits

I'm sure you will!! :) I pray you do!

Thanks Augustkiwi. I'm a Leo too!!!

Little bits

I started the process in November. My surgeon does a 6 month program whether your insurance requires it or not. I've done monthly visits with weight management since November, a psychiatric evaluation, a dietician consultation, two sleep studies (needed a CPAP), the surgical consult, and one of three nutritional classes. I have a class next week and another in June (they are only offered monthly), a cardiologist appt next week as well (for a random issue that popped up during my 2nd sleep study), and I think there may be an additional pre-op class.

Everything SHOULD be at insurance for approval at this point, but for some reason it hasn't been sent yet (which is driving me crazy!). I have BCBS which is typically pretty quick, so given the timing of the classes I have left, I should be scheduling surgery for July or August.

Being at the end of the 6 months is making me pretty antsy.... I just want to get the insurance approval so that stress is off of my shoulders.

Started this whole journey last year after attending the seminar in the spring - finally having surgery next monday, and hubby had his last tuesday is doing great. Yes it has been a long wait but it has given us time to attend many support group meetings, do lots of reading and research to prepare for the procedure and the new way of life that comes with it.

im sorry if this doesn't make much sense. i had everyone multi quoted and when i hit send it wouldn't let me send. i couldn't figure out why, so i just deleted the people i quoted. hopefully you can figure out who im talking to.

Hey- thanks for joining in!

My journey hasn't really started yet. I was going to self-pay (MX) but some things fell through financially, so I'm having to take the insurance route. I'm going to talk to my pcp this coming Friday and start the journey. I don't want to be dishonest, but I seriously do not think I can stick to any diet for 6 months. :( the longest I've done a diet was 4 months. I lost 60 lbs. I can do a diet, i can lose weight, but I never stick with anything long term, and I gain it all back :( I hope I don't have to write everything I eat, because I know most i cannot stick to a strict plan for 6 whole months with a normal sized stomach. i just get so hungry!

my main problem is there doesn't seem to be a vsg dr that takes BCBS of MI. I'm in MO, if anyone wants to try to help me find one. I called the ins company twice. the first lady told me there were 3 dr's 3 miles from me. i called them and they only do the band. I do NOT wantt he band. I called the ins company again and the guy gave me 3 dr's that are gastrointerologists. *sp* thanks for nothing bcbs dude. yikes.

I'm 5'3, 235 lbs and my bmi is 41.4, - actually it depends on the day- I consider myself 5'4 so at that height, my bmi is 40.1. but when i'm fatter and back up to the wall to be measured, my butt sticks out so i have to arch my back and it makes me shorter, rofl. sooooo.. who knows what height they will go by. lol..

I'm so excited. I really never thought this would be an option for me for one reason or another and to almost see that light at the end of the tunnel, it feels amazing.. I really think this is the answer God is showing me so clearly. It's a little bit scary- I know of hte risks etc, and I'd be leaving behind my dh and 6 precious children who are 10 and under. I really have faith that it will all work out and I will finally shine.

I am really not being the perosn I was created to be. I can't fit into clothes easily- I never want to go out because I tire easily and especially in the summer. my hind end is so big it's embarrassing- I literally knock things over with it. ROFL. I MAKE JOKES about it, but it's neally not funny and my self esteem is super low. I wear mens tshirts and the sleeves hang to my elbows (below really) and it's so hot. i have to pull my shirt down 400x a day. my shirts cost 4.00 more because they are made with more fabric. it's hard to find clothes in our sizes at thrift stores that look decent and aren't mumus or just plain ugly. I never want to be intimate with my husband - and I'm not. (ok we have 6 kisd, rofl- we are VERY fertile together, lol- all he has to do is stand next to me and i'm pregnant ;) ) I'm sure everyones list is the same or similar- i'm just kindof getting some of that out. it feels good to talk about it. i'm not feeling sorry for my self necesarily- i did this to myself, but i haven't always bene like this. i was thinner in my teen years. since having babies back to back, i've gained so much and it's so hard to lose etc.

anyway- I('d type more but i'm needed.

woohoo! all of you are at the end of your 6 months, lol..

oh I can't wait to hear! it is nervewracking- good way to put it. 6 months seems so long, but I've been pregnant 6 times, and all of those pregnancies (looking back, anyway) flew by, and they are 9 months, obviously. 6 months is nothin compared to that!

oh no!? eat a lot of donuts? :lol: I'm just teasing- I'd never suggest you get more unhealthy to get healthy.. or would I? hm. I hope they approve it! thanks for joining :) I love to hear all about everyones journey!

Hopefully this thread will help pass everyones time also.

Oh you're a shoo in! how exciting!!!

I'm sorry you didn't lose weight better, naturally though. Surgery really is a brave and tough decision!

thank you for saying that! I, too, am a instant gratification type of girl. I will pay more moneyt o have things shipped in one day rather than wait a few days. I have Amazon prime, rofl. I'm glad it flew by. like I said- my pregnancies flew by, so this will too! 6 months is easy compared to 9 months... 6 times, lol.

I'm so excited for you!!! praying!

yes, me too, for you! You need to be able to take a deep breath of relief! praying for you as well. :)

] Yeah- we've been overweight this long- we can wait 6 more months, huh? I'm so glad to hear from so many of you that are at the end of the6 months who talk about how nice it was to really mentally prepare for it and how fast the time flew etc. <3

Thanks Augustkiwi. I'm a Leo too!!!

Little bits

leo's in the house!!!! LOL awesome!