Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions About Psychiatric Eval And Uhc 6 Mnth Stipulation

I husband has finally told me to go ahead and have the surgery done. I will be having the Sleeve Gastrectomy done. I am still in the process and have my Psychiatric evaluation next week and then one more 2 weeks later. What type of questions should I expect in this evaluation?

Also, my Insurance Company, United Healthcare failed to relay some information to me when I called for benefits back in January. They have now told me that I need to see my primary care physician for 6 months in a row with documented weight loss management. If I would have known that I would have 4 months of that done already. I really do not want to wait until the end of the year because I am so ready to GET HEALTHY!!!! I had talked to someone in the office of the surgeon that I will be seeing and they told me that as long as there is documentation in my records about my weight I should be ok. I have been going to the same doctor for more than 10 years and every time I see him, which is usually 3-4 times a year we talk about all my current health issues. Has anyone else had this stipulation on their plan? I have already sent a letter to UHC appealing the fact that they didn't provide me this information back in January.

Any help with these 2 issues would be helpful

Thanks!

Anxiously awaiting my new healthy life!!!

Mine required 6 consecutive months of a "medically supervised diet". I saw my family doctor, she told me to eat 1800 calories a day and exercise...I said okay. I lost....and gained back 8 pounds....

Paperwork sent to my surgeon, insurance approved.

Psych eval for me was a breeze....I think the main things that are no go's for my Dr. are smoking, eating disorders, and bi-polar due to non-compliance issues. They also want to make sure you have a good support network (partner, family, etc.....) Major recent changes might flag you (death, divorce....) Not sure...just things mine asked me about....

Good luck!

Shannon, I didn't get flagged on anything, and I literally had hit every single "major" life event in the year before my surgery except giving birth. I had recently married, had a child graduate high school, got custody of another high school age step-child, moved, bought a house, separated, lost a very close friend/family member, major health problems. The only things I got flagged for were being an ex-smoker and my psyche told me that I WOULD become an alcoholic. So far so good.

Don't lie to the psyche evaluator, but you don't have to dig up ancient history. If you tried pot in high school, it's a non-issue. Just leave that out. Unless, of course, you're IN high school right now! LOL

I decided before hand to lie, about the almost everything, they asked, so that I would not be their for anything other than losing weight. I knew that I wanted the surgery, and the other stuff was none of their business. I also had been seeing the same doctor for many years, and he just sent in every single diet that I had been on, in the past. They will work with you. Hope everything goes well.

I have UHC, and my surgeon put me with a nutritionist that is keeping track of my weight. I don't have to count calories, but I do have to "count" carbs, its kind of like the weight watchers system. She said she expected me to walk 3 times a week, and I would lose 1/2 pound each week. So far, really nothing has come off, but I am following her rules. I also am seeing an exercise guy, he does not weigh me and said he doesn't expect me to lose anything and does not keep track of it. He gave me a few exercises to do, and I do them until I see him again and he gives me more to do.

I had my psych evaluation last week, it was painless. The appointment took 2 hours, first hour was on the computer answering true and false questions. The next hour was us sitting down and he was asking things like "Did you have any major abuse as a child" and other normal things that could be considered major events. I was asked about smoking marijuana, and I told the truth that I had several years back. He asked if I knew what the complications are during/after any major surgery, and he was impressed with my answers. He also asked the big question of "Why?" I had good answers for that, first was my health second was wanting a family. He asked if it was just for looks or clothing, again I did not lie and I said that shopping for normal clothing would be a great benefit because Lane Bryant is so expensive. He was really on my side, and said that I didn't show any significant signs for being denied at all. He never asked specific things, just wanted yes and no answers basically. He even asked about my work history. It was more of an interview if anything, and it was easy.

I have UHC and have to do the 6 month weigh-in thing. I had started an herbal cleanse with my chiropractor in January, and the surgeon's office said I could continue on that path, since it included weekly weigh-ins, and a specific low-carb eating plan. I lost about 14 lbs in the first month, but since then I just gain and lose the same two lbs. I have PCOS, and I've learned that I will just never be successful without surgery.

My psych eval was almost delightful. The psychologist was also a bariatric patient. Like Kathryn, I did a computer questionnaire and an interview. We discussed family history and parent's weight, things like... have I ever hidden while I eat and other eating disorder indicators, and what to expect with a life-altering surgery. She said to tell those who will care for me right after surgery, that I may express regret and ask "What have I done to myself?"... but that everyone says that, and it always gets better. I've enjoyed the process so far, and have been grateful for the time to adjust and learn.

Good luck! I hope you find a way to move forward sooner.

I husband has finally told me to go ahead and have the surgery done. I will be having the Sleeve Gastrectomy done. I am still in the process and have my Psychiatric evaluation next week and then one more 2 weeks later. What type of questions should I expect in this evaluation?

It depends. It used to be that they just talked with you and got a sense for factors likely to contribute to difficulty (e.g. non-compliance) or success (e.g. support system and mental outlook). Nowadays most of them are using paper-based assessments that really identify the same things, but using standardized tests. When I had my band we just talked. When I had my sleeve I had to take 3 tests, then come back to discuss the results. Anything that sort of pops up a red flag on your results, especially consistently, will prbably come up so that the psych can determine how well you will be able to deal with it, etc.

As for specific questions, I really don't remember any specifics. Lots of things about your behavior, your feelings, whether or not your expectations are realistic, etc.

I have been going to the same doctor for more than 10 years and every time I see him, which is usually 3-4 times a year we talk about all my current health issues. Has anyone else had this stipulation on their plan? I have already sent a letter to UHC appealing the fact that they didn't provide me this information back in January.

I think Isaw this already mentioned, but what's typically required is medically supervised weightloss for 6 months. That means you're going to the doctor for the sole purpose of being weighed, discussing diet, etc. I think it's even billed differently than a regular office visit might be. So having been to the doctor a few times during the last 6 months, and having had your weight recorded, is generally not accepted for this requirement.

HTH

Mine required 6 consecutive months of a "medically supervised diet". I saw my family doctor' date=' she told me to eat 1800 calories a day and exercise...I said okay. I lost....and gained back 8 pounds....

Paperwork sent to my surgeon, insurance approved.

Psych eval for me was a breeze....I think the main things that are no go's for my Dr. are smoking, eating disorders, and bi-polar due to non-compliance issues. They also want to make sure you have a good support network (partner, family, etc.....) Major recent changes might flag you (death, divorce....) Not sure...just things mine asked me about....

Good luck![/quote']

My experience was very similar to Shannon K's...good luck. I just finished my last nutrition class on Monday & my final clearance today.

Hopefully, you won't have to wait!!! :(

Little bits

Just had mine yesterday. About 45 minutes of talking-- mostly about why I wanted to do this, what were my expectations and what support systems did I have in place.

The computer test was all true or false and seemed to be looking in the following areas: support from friends or family, faith reliance, willingness to seek medical treatment when needed, current mental attitude, how I view myself, whether I am a leader or follower, my willingness to follow directions, and how the world views people who don't conform.

Then, there was a small written test -- 2 pages- that asked about food issues -- seemed to be red flagging for eating disorders. There was a written portion where I had to complete patterns and make word associations and had to pick the word that means the same as the word given (like it pays to enrich your word power from reader's digest) -- not sure what this part was for, but seemed like they were testing for intelligence. I had to copy shapes by drawing (ability to observe and follow directions maybe???). Finally, I had to free form complete about 50 questions like I wish .... I would like to know... I secretly .... My greatest fear is ..... My mother is ..... My best friend is ...... etc. hope that helps.

Just had mine yesterday. About 45 minutes of talking-- mostly about why I wanted to do this' date=' what were my expectations and what support systems did I have in place.

The computer test was all true or false and seemed to be looking in the following areas: support from friends or family, faith reliance, willingness to seek medical treatment when needed, current mental attitude, how I view myself, whether I am a leader or follower, my willingness to follow directions, and how the world views people who don't conform.

Then, there was a small written test -- 2 pages- that asked about food issues -- seemed to be red flagging for eating disorders. There was a written portion where I had to complete patterns and make word associations and had to pick the word that means the same as the word given (like it pays to enrich your word power from reader's digest) -- not sure what this part was for, but seemed like they were testing for intelligence. I had to copy shapes by drawing (ability to observe and follow directions maybe???). Finally, I had to free form complete about 50 questions like I wish .... I would like to know... I secretly .... My greatest fear is ..... My mother is ..... My best friend is ...... etc. hope that helps.[/quote']

Wow...that was a lot. My psych eval was very basic.

Little bits