Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freaking Out Like Everyone Does (May 15 Sleeve)

I think I just need to post this to anyone who might understand.

I don't know anyone else who has had this surgery. I'm totally full on freaking out!!!

Getting vsg May 15 with Dr Roslin in NYC.

I'm freaking out that my whole life will change. And that I'm having major surgery. And I can't imagine what those first 30 days will be like. And will I ever be able to eat food again. And will I ever feel like myself again. And what if....what if....what if...

I feel a bit alone and crazy and worried. And I know I do this for my health but what if is a big mistake??

And most of all, I feel like a junkie about to lose her drugs.

Yeah...

Thanks for the space.

Cinemagirl....

I know what you mean. I am getting my surgery in June and I all ready feel that way. I look at food and I am like omg I dont know if I can give you up. But then I tell myself this is for the better and I AM GONA BE ONE HOT MAMA when this is all done and over.

Hang in there you are going through the normal process you will be ok. Just take a big breath

I too am having surgery on the 15th and I am RIGHT there with you!!!!!! I have all the same worries and concerns. Its the fear of the unknown.

Just know you are not alone!!

I got surgery may 3rd so far so good. I am not hungry like i was before. And when you do drink something you get full fast. I do have pain but everyday its getting better just to let you know. If you have your mind made up already you can do it. The gas pain whats hurts me the most at night its bad lol. But i hear it gets better cant wait till i can eat and still have the weight ccome off. Oh yea I weight may 3rd on surgery day 244 and today I weight 234 WOW can you believe that.

All right...so we can do this together. Rosac80 that is So good to hear.

Breathe. No freaking out. WHY do you want to have this surgery? Really, Why? For me, it was to improve my quality of life. To not hurt ALL THE DANG TIME. To tie my shoes, to not be embarrassed and even horrified to be captured on film. To not be judged based on my size before I ever speak a work. To not have to shop in the plus size section of the store. To want to get out of bed. To feel worthy. I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture.

So, when you start to freak out, remind yourself WHY you wanted this in the first place. You'll be ok. Breathe. :-D

My surgery is the 21st and I have all the same worries. I'm on the preop diet and have a headache from hades! Third day in of 14. I wonder if I will make it. Seriously, I want this and need this more. I know I will go through with it but I think of all the "what if's" too!! I hope it is easier after the surgery than it is now... :unsure: I'm so hungry.. lol

I had my sleeve this past Monday, so I am two days out. I am doing very well. Please email me if you want to know how my procedure went and I will tell you every tip I have to get throught the surgery. I am blessed that I had a great experience!

Remind yourself why you want the surgery. Picture your life in 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, in your old age. When you worry, go over these thoughts. If you are still worried, spend the time planning and cleaning so you are ready for a great recovery at home. You are close enough to start packing what you will need for the hospital and prepping what you will need when you get home. Do you have these things ready? I found them handy:

lip balm and lotion

2 nightgowns, robe, and slippers

Spare pillows (great for propping up in bed when you get home)

Tivo movies or make a list so someone can rent for you after

Magazines and books

demitasse spoon (easier for eating small bites)

one cup liquid measuring cup ( use it like a pitcher beside your bed and measure out one ounce per 15 minutes)

shot glass (fill 3/4 full for one ounce every 15 minutes)

timer or clock with second hand so you can keep on eye on how long to chew, how long between bites and how often you are downing liquids

blender and strainer for pureeing foods and removing lumps

bed tray to corral your phone, cups, books, etc. - I used a plastic tray I use on the patio. Worked great.

flushable wipes. I got diarrhea and those wipes were great when things got a little tender.

I'm coming up on my one year anniversary, at goal and happier and healthier than I have been since my 20s.

Best wishes on your journey,

Lynda

Breathe. No freaking out. WHY do you want to have this surgery? Really' date=' Why? For me, it was to improve my quality of life. To not hurt ALL THE DANG TIME. To tie my shoes, to not be embarrassed and even horrified to be captured on film. To not be judged based on my size before I ever speak a work. To not have to shop in the plus size section of the store. To want to get out of bed. To feel worthy. I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture.

So, when you start to freak out, remind yourself WHY you wanted this in the first place. You'll be ok. Breathe. :-D[/quote']

I needed that along with the rest on this thread. I did just that. Do I want to stick myself with diabetic needles? Nope. Do I want to fit in an airplane seat? Yes. Thanks, because I am with my fellow sleevers on here.

I told the doctor today before I see him on Monday at 8:30 am that I do not want to die. He said he has a problem with death, too. I hope that is true. I will let you know on Tuesday.

Hello Cinema!! I am your sleeve sister! May 15th here too...and I, too, feel like a junkie who has given up her drug of choice. This pre op diet has put doubts in my mind that I quickly shrug off...because we can do this!! And life on the other side of surgery is gonna be awesome!!

I'll be thinking of my May 15 sisters that day too!

My doc didn't do the pre op diet so I feel sort of u prepared for the sudden change. I have no spleen and had most of my pancreas removed due to a previous tumor so he says there's a ton of room in there :-).

Thanks everyone for letting me know I'm not alone.

And the advice is great.

I told the doctor today before I see him on Monday at 8:30 am that I do not want to die. He said he has a problem with death' date=' too. I hope that is true. I will let you know on Tuesday.[/quote']

I'm worried about dying more than anything. I know it seems silly.. but I'm terrified. =\