Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello new here :) I am do to have surgery on the 29 in upstate ny! My question is this, I am a smoker, i know it is bad for me trust me! I am trying so hard to stop before surgery. What if I slow down big time and quit for good the day i go in for my surgery? I know if i dont smoke for the 3 days in the hospital i will be done forever!!! Or should i change my surgery date?

It really depends on what your surgeon requires. In my paperwork, it says my surgeon required smokers to stop smoking for at least 30 days before surgery. You really need to talk to your surgeon because he/she might not do the surgery if you don't quit.

I quit in nov and had alot of crap go on with all hoops for surgery that i gave up everything in feb and started eatting what i wanted again, being lazy, and smoking! After i finally got to meet the surgeron in april i have been really good with everything but cant seem to just stop the smoking! They have no idea i even smoke at this point!

I would definitely contact the surgeon to see what their guidelines are. The kaiser doctors here don't want you to smoke for 30 days as well. It's for your health that they don't want that in your system. Please don't keep that information from them. It's a matter of life and death!!!

Sorry not trying to scare you, just want you to be informed

If i have the date changed will my insurance co give me a hard time? I have already been approved!

Smoking affects clotting and healing. Think about that.

My surgeon also requires 30 days and will prescribe meds to do so if needed. I know it must be so daunting to give up 2 addictions at once. But, I work in wound care and I can tell immediately if a patient is a smoker. The healing is much slower, infection rate higher, more scaring, the tissue around the wounds are not as healthy.... So I understand why it is imperative to stop smoking. With the amount your body needs to heal the stomach, it is necessary. Plus, you don't want to have to withdraw while healing. Do it now and be done with it bf you have to withdraw from food.< /p>

I smoked for 20 years and had to stop before surgery. I know how hard it is but you really must stop. It is so worth it. You can do it....trust me, if I did it anyone can.

Thank you guys, i just thew my pack away and asked everyone to not give me any, and my daughter cried saying she will help me through it! So i have to do this just like the surgery i got this with help from all of you of course :)

I quit smoking 5yrs ago so I know how hard it is. It took me three times trying to finally quit. My surgeon said that when they open you up they can tell if you have had even one smoke and they will close you right back up if you have. It is very important that you quit before your surgery. If you are willing to go through this major surgery to make your self healthier then why wouldn't you quit smoking to do the same? Good luck and keep us posted please.

Good luck, Nanny! I know its tough to quit but its your health and safety we're talking about.

I choose to stop my surgery is in mexico so they didnt say much but I could not do it cold trukey. I took the chantex and after three weeks of the meds i am smoke free. I have not smoked in 15 days, it has been hard but when you get a craving wait 3 min and it will go away before you decide to go out and smoke. Hang in there you CAN do this and we are all here to support you.

Hi Nanny, where in upstate NY are you? I am being sleeved at ORMC in Middletown by Dr. Hamdi. Good luck with quitting smoking!

I just quit 2 days ago. And I just started my 6 month pre op diet with the NUT. Try the patch it really really helps. My insurance pays for my Patches. I had to take a class over the phone it was about an hour. But so worth it! Good luck.You can do it.

You are having this surgery to be healthier and get yourself in better shape. I say go all out and just quit. You can do it!!!! I know it is easier said then done but I have faith in you! That you are strong enough to handle it. You are given a gift and approved by insurance! Don't possibly give them any reason to stop the surgery.good luck