Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

Hi all, I'm new to the site. I'm scheduled for my sleeve on the 8th of April in Victoria with Ray McHenry. I'm on day 6 of my pre op diet and have slipped up with a piece of fish today :( I was at a party and felt like I had to eat something. Anyway straight back onto it now. Great reading everyone's experiences on here

Welcome! I'm on 8th too in Queensland. Getting excited! I think a piece of fish is okay...don't fret! Good luck...countdown on!!

Hi all, I'm new to the site. I'm scheduled for my sleeve on the 8th of April in Victoria with Ray McHenry. I'm on day 6 of my pre op diet and have slipped up with a piece of fish today :( I was at a party and felt like I had to eat something. Anyway straight back onto it now. Great reading everyone's experiences on here

A bit of lean Protein won't hurt you at this time. Don't stress, it sounds like you are doing well. Good luck on your ride down. I am sure you will love your sleeve as much as most of us do on this thread.

Welcome and good luck! Still loving being thin but maybe not as healthy as I should be - those of you who know me know that exercise is not my thing!

One new thing I have learned the hard way is to watch out for iyour tolerance to a drink or two - I haven't really had an issue as I have not been drinking a lot but over the last couple of months I have had a couple of episodes where I was drinking thinking I was doing ok and then suddenly bam - I was completely smashed - it hit me like a train and was so unexpected - anyway - not to be recommended as I was also very sick! Not a good look! Common sense would tell you that this could happen but I still got caught out - gee at 52 you think I would have learned by now!

Misty - your job move sounds great - all the best!

Kelli - when is your next visit to Sydney - will you have time to catch up?

Hi all. I was sleeved on the 2 April and came home today. All went pretty well, just a couple of incidences where I was vomiting blood and my BP shooting up... but all in all... pretty well.

Today I am on free fluids and it is all really starting to sink in. I had my surgery at Sunnybank here in Brisbane, like others, and will be visiting my surgeon and dietician on the 17th at the same centre in the GC for a follow up.

Looking forward to getting through these stages and onto real eating, etc. I'm not a fan of crushing panadol etc either and am working hard to keep H2O up.

Hi all. I was sleeved on the 2 April and came home today. All went pretty well, just a couple of incidences where I was vomiting blood and my BP shooting up... but all in all... pretty well. Today I am on free fluids and it is all really starting to sink in. I had my surgery at Sunnybank here in Brisbane, like others, and will be visiting my surgeon and dietician on the 17th at the same centre in the GC for a follow up. Looking forward to getting through these stages and onto real eating, etc. I'm not a fan of crushing panadol etc either and am working hard to keep H2O up.

Congrats on getting ur sleeve!!! Who was ur surgeon? I was sleeved at Sunnybank with Dr Daoud. As long as u follow what ur surgeon and dietician tells u u'll be fine. With panadol just get the dissolveable ones. They taste fine. After about a week I was taking normal panadol. Just keep up the Water. But if u are having trouble with plain water put some cordial in it. That's what my surgeon said to do. If u have any questions just ask :)

Cheers Bec

Hi there!

Feeling all sorts of emotions today. I'm so ready for my surgery on Monday 14th in one way. My op is with Dr Martin at the Wesley, Brisbane.

I've successfully had my superannuation released and now paid for my surgery and anaesthesia costs, stocked my cupboard with post op foods, reviewed my Will and power of attorney and have my bag ready for hospital.....

While Preparations are sorted I'm not doing so well emotionally. I think while I was busy getting things organised I was ok. I don't trust myself not to run away scared from the hospital. I'm such a sook. On the other hand I wish it was done already, but I know there is no magical wand...... Alas. Just got to keep focused on the why and stay excited I guess.

Hello fellow Sleevers!

Long time no see...or type :)

I am sorry I have been so quiet but I have been keeping up with the posts via email (mostly at work lol) and it sounds like things are going well.

Welcome to all of the new sleevers! and those about to hit the "losers bench". It's an amazing journey, difficult and challenging but absolutely worth it!

A quick update - I started at 173kg, I now weigh 78kg I am 176cm tall. I was sleeved in September 2012 on the Gold Coast. I had a leak. I had many subsequent surgeries and a 10 week ICU/ Surgical Ward admission to Tweed Hospital and was discharged towards the end of November 2012. I hadn't lost much weight during this period as they had me fed via drip during this time at 1800 CAL per day.

I am now about 18 months post surgery and had a meeting with my surgeon, the first one since my discharge from hospital in November 2012. It was hilarious :) She absolutely didn't recognise me. I wasn't aware but in the appointment, she was expecting me to have lost about 70% of the excess weight (which would have put me at about 100kg or so still), so to say she was surprised was an understatement :)

It was nice to hear her tell me that I don't need (medically) to lose any more weight now. She knows I would like to lose another 10 kg (I always seem to have another 10 kg to lose lol - but this time I will stick with this goal!!). She is happy as long as my blood tests show I am healthy for me to lose the additional weight. She has even offered to do a "no gap" Tummy Tuck thingy for me in 12 months should I want it. Now given my leak, I am a bit reluctant to go under the knife unless I have to but I will see how I feel in 12 months.

I am actually going to be in Sydney for a conference on 29th and 30th of April and was hoping that perhaps some of the Sydney sleevers might want to meet? The conference is in the CBD and it would be lovely to go out for dinner and meet up with you guys! I had the great pleasure of meeting Sue and Susan on my last trip and it would be so lovely to see you both again and anyone else who can make it!

I hope you are all well and can't wait to talk with you (hopefully in person) soon!

Cheers, Liss

PS Here are my before and after shots :) That is me in the white dress...

post-196820-0-84989600-1397114492_thumb.jpg

post-196820-0-69277200-1397114591_thumb.jpg

Glad you are doing better Lissa!! How long after surgery did you get the leak?

Hi there GoldnGirl.

I think what you are describing sounds very similar to how I felt about things prior to my surgery. Speaking as someone who had a less than pleasant experience initially, yes things can go wrong however there is excellent care for you if that is the case and there is life after a leak! And it can be amazing!!! So, don't worry that you feel this way - I bet many people did too before the surgery. Just know that it absolutely gets better from here!!

All the best, Liss

Hi there!
Feeling all sorts of emotions today. I'm so ready for my surgery on Monday 14th in one way. My op is with Dr Martin at the Wesley, Brisbane.
I've successfully had my superannuation released and now paid for my surgery and anaesthesia costs, stocked my cupboard with post op foods, reviewed my Will and power of attorney and have my bag ready for hospital.....
While Preparations are sorted I'm not doing so well emotionally. I think while I was busy getting things organised I was ok. I don't trust myself not to run away scared from the hospital. I'm such a sook. On the other hand I wish it was done already, but I know there is no magical wand...... Alas. Just got to keep focused on the why and stay excited I guess.

Hi - My leak was apparent within 12 hours (to me) but it took 48 hours for the nurses to call the surgeon about it. I was septic and things got pretty grim, pretty quick. That being said, once they worked out what was going on, they took really good care of me. And now I feel amazing :) Honestly, I think I am the only Aussie on here who has had a leak though - guys do you know anyone else?

All the best! Cheers, Liss

Glad you are doing better Lissa!! How long after surgery did you get the leak?

Hi - My leak was apparent within 12 hours (to me) but it took 48 hours for the nurses to call the surgeon about it. I was septic and things got pretty grim, pretty quick. That being said, once they worked out what was going on, they took really good care of me. And now I feel amazing :) Honestly, I think I am the only Aussie on here who has had a leak though - guys do you know anyone else? All the best! Cheers, Liss

Hi everyone, I have read all the posts since beginning and lissa you are such an inspiration. You have such a beautiful soul and are always positive.

I had my surgery on 4th march and no real problems here. Tmi moment ... I am constipated all the time and dietician says to take laxatives every four days. I'm sure I'll be ok once I can eat fruit and veggies. I have lost 18 kilos since preop so I'm now 112kg. I still have only told 5 people and I might tell more closer to goal. I'm thinking 70 kgs which feels like it would be impossible. Good wishes to all the preop people and everyone post xxxx

Hi. I had op 8th April and feeling better by the day. First day/night was the worst for me but I made myself move which really helped. I had the barium swallow yesterday morning and it was fine though hard to do/swallow. I threw up a few times, especially drinking water/apple juice. Was better with Soups or peppermint/camomile teas. Sometimes my vomit was bloody, but my brother (a nurse) explained it was normal after surgery. I'm doing my exercises like the physio said and following my dieticians recs. just do everything you should and you will be fine! Good luck golden girl!

Well done on the weight loss everyone else! I haven't weighed myself yet as I just got home today.

Thank you Lissa - reading your post and also seeing your transformation has shifted my headspace today.

My starting weight will be very similar to yours - I truly want to be as successful as you have been. Your transformation is wonderful and you look a million dollars.

Thank you again x

Hi. I had op 8th April and feeling better by the day. First day/night was the worst for me but I made myself move which really helped. I had the barium swallow yesterday morning and it was fine though hard to do/swallow. I threw up a few times, especially drinking water/apple juice. Was better with Soups or peppermint/camomile teas. Sometimes my vomit was bloody, but my brother (a nurse) explained it was normal after surgery. I'm doing my exercises like the physio said and following my dieticians recs. just do everything you should and you will be fine! Good luck golden girl! Well done on the weight loss everyone else! I haven't weighed myself yet as I just got home today.

Kazzygal - so glad to hear from you and that you are doing well AND home! Wish you a speedy recovery and major success :-)

Lissa and you have calmed me more than you know.

Hi there! Feeling all sorts of emotions today. I'm so ready for my surgery on Monday 14th in one way. My op is with Dr Martin at the Wesley, Brisbane. I've successfully had my superannuation released and now paid for my surgery and anaesthesia costs, stocked my cupboard with post op foods, reviewed my Will and power of attorney and have my bag ready for hospital..... While Preparations are sorted I'm not doing so well emotionally. I think while I was busy getting things organised I was ok. I don't trust myself not to run away scared from the hospital. I'm such a sook. On the other hand I wish it was done already, but I know there is no magical wand...... Alas. Just got to keep focused on the why and stay excited I guess.

All the best for your surgery tomorrow. I had my surgery at the Wesley too and it was great.