Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

Hey guys

Just a little update' date=' I had my surgery on the 7th of march which was last Thursday, thankfully I've had minimal pain just a lot of discomfort from the gas, the only complication I had was my anesthetist had trouble finding a vein for my IV cannula, he tried three times on my left arm, before I went into the operating room and I woke up with an IV cannula in my right hand but there is another puncture wound from another failed attempt also on my right arm. And I got cellulitis (inflammation of the vein) in my left hand and broke out in a rash which I'm currently treating with a topical corticosteroid called Elcon.

Now for my Fluid intake, I'm struggling with my Protein shake I can barely drink one full shake which causes me the feel so full. I also drink tiny amounts of Water throughout the day but I'm struggling and I know who important they both are especially the Protein.< /p>

So tomorrow I'm going to try icey poles, Soups, and a cup full of ice with OJ.

Just wanted to know if that is a good idea and how did you guys manage with the Protein Shake? ?

Thanks in advance ✌[/quote']

This is completely normal - I remember that it took me so long to drink one protein shake that it was time for the next one! One thing I learnt is not to blend the shakes so they are too frothy - this seemed to make them harder to drink as the air took up too much space - I only used the hand shaker for the shortest time to make sure it was mixed but not frothy. I don't know if this will help but it helped me. I also remember paying a lot for a milkshake at a cafe (when I was on the liquids) and only drinking one mouthful because it was so frothy - what a waste!

Good luck and as Kelli said just keep sip sip siping!

Forgot to mention my stats

Height 168cm

SW 102.3kg

Day of surgery 99.6kg

CW 94kgs

Almost exactly the same stats as me - I am 167cm and my start weight was 103kg - had my op on 18 July 2012 and my current weight is 63.9kg

You have a lot to look forward to! My advise is don't spend too much on clothes on the way down as you only get to wear them a couple of times before they are too big!

I have to admit I went a bit crazy as I hadn't been able to buy decent clothes for about 20 years so I was making up for it! All I can say is that St Vinnies loves it when they see me coming!

Congrats and just keep sip' date=' sip sipping....[/quote']

Thanks kelliv, and I'm doing my best at sipping, it's getting easier but still not getting enough fluids, but I found if I walk more and do my breathing exercises I can drink more

This is completely normal - I remember that it took me so long to drink one Protein shake that it was time for the next one! One thing I learnt is not to blend the shakes so they are too frothy - this seemed to make them harder to drink as the air took up too much space - I only used the hand shaker for the shortest time to make sure it was mixed but not frothy. I don't know if this will help but it helped me. I also remember paying a lot for a milkshake at a cafe (when I was on the liquids) and only drinking one mouthful because it was so frothy - what a waste!

Good luck and as Kelli said just keep sip sip siping!

I've given up on the Protein Shakes as it made me full after drinking a couple of sips and I couldn't fit any thing else for a long while afterwards and I could tell I was becoming more dehydrated

So my plan of action is to keep myself hydrated and hopefully during the purée phase I'll up the Protein intake

Btw I used the Optifast protein bottle shaker for my Protein Shake.

Almost exactly the same stats as me - I am 167cm and my start weight was 103kg - had my op on 18 July 2012 and my current weight is 63.9kg

You have a lot to look forward to! My advise is don't spend too much on clothes on the way down as you only get to wear them a couple of times before they are too big!

I have to admit I went a bit crazy as I hadn't been able to buy decent clothes for about 20 years so I was making up for it! All I can say is that St Vinnies loves it when they see me coming!

And I've already made plans for my clothing I'm just going to keep taking them in, as my sister can alter them for me, that way I can save more to spend on when I reach goal.

Thanks kelliv' date=' and I'm doing my best at sipping, it's getting easier but still not getting enough fluids, but I found if I walk more and do my breathing exercises I can drink more[/quote']

Just remember to relax and take it one day at a time. It may not feel like it at the moment but it does get easier each day. I was advised by my dietician not to have the Protein shakes post surgery so cannot give you any advice about getting them down.

It is really hard as everyone has said to get those shakes down, but you just have to be patient and go it slow, by the time you finish one, you will have to start on your Water and so on, the initial stages aren't much fun, you really can't do anything else other than concentrate on getting those fluids in, but like we all have said, it does get easier and then easier again, you will be there in no time and feeling much better for it. Just stay patient :-)

Every time I read this thread I think "What a nice bunch of girls"

That's all.

Every time I read this thread I think "What a nice bunch of girls"

That's all.

We all love you too dean. And it is nice to have so many girls speak so frequently, some of us big, some of us skinny, but none of us back-stabbing, nasty or bitchy. I love this thread xxx

Ditto to all that Puppyphat!

Well after my concerns last week about a possible stall, I weighed in at the dr's today and lost 3 kg. i suspect that I must have been retaining Fluid last week as I haven't done anything significantly different but it was great to see that number today. Have 15kg to go to the surgeon's goal and about 30 until mine. So excited :) Just can't wait to drop the next 7 kg and get under the 100kg mark!!

Here's an updated photo :)

post-255640-13813138261021_thumb.jpg

Well done Liss.......... on everything! BTW you have a lovely heart-shaped face :)

Hi everyone,

I had my surgery 9 days ago at Joondalup Private Hospital here in WA. My surgeon was David Yong and he was wonderful. Asked if I had any questions just before I was taken in for the surgery - I told him no, just bring it on! After that he came to the room not long after I returned from recovery to tell me and my partner that everything went beautifully. I saw him every day of the 3 days (twice on day 2). I have found the last week very challenging, not to mention painful from one particular wound site but wouldn't trade a thing. Glad I have given myself 4 weeks off work as I have felt incredibly weak. Yes, it is difficult to drink enough but it is true, every day gets better. Last Monday I weighed myself and had lost 9.5kg in 3 weeks (2 wks pre-op on Optifast) so very happy. I don't feel like a stuffed potato any more!!! Congratulations to each and every one, long term or recent sleevers. I have the best partner and although my sons were unhappy about my decision my daughter has more than made up for it. Once my 4 sons see the new me I'm sure they'll agree with my decision. If not, well, I did it for me anyway :-)

Hi Everyone, I am celebrating the break of my latest stall AND reaching another milestone. I hit the scales this morning and am now 79.9kg. Finally broke through the 80's!!!!! For the newbies I was 107kg pre op, 102kg on day of op and now 7 months later I am 79.9kg. Doc's goal is 70kg, but I wish to get back into the 60's. Slowly, slowly I am getting there. It seems that the less often I weigh myself the more I lose and when I travel for work am and out of my usual routine, I also seem to lose more quickly. Very happy!!!! Playing golf today in a 'Day For Daniel' charity event. Have to wear something red. Had nothing that would fit me anymore so am borrowing a size 12 pair of white three quarter length pants and a red and white blouse from my trendy Mum. Good problem to have.

Hi everyone. I agree with Dean - you're a fantastic bunch and I feel so lucky to have you to talk to. I think you'll understand this next bit where others in my life won't...

For the first time since surgery I caught up with an old friend yesterday. We went out for lunch. She was astounded by my weight loss (she struggles with her weight and is probably as big as I was when I started). It was nice. Because we were in a cafe I got a half melt with chicken, cheese and avo. When they brought it out, it was that thick white bread (I swear it looked like half a loaf but objectively it might have been about an inch or so thick). Anyway, I literally had two bites before I was really full, so I stopped eating. I was busy chatting anyway so didn't really notice. And I certainly didn't pay any attention to what she ordered. Anyway it wasn't long before she started getting quite withdrawn. When the waitress came to clear the table and I said they could take my plate, she went OFF. She said that just because i had surgery and "fucked myself up" that I shouldn't make everyone else feel bad for being "normal". Then she left.

Now you guy's know I am a psych, right? So I did all the usual stuff - I know this is her issue and not mine, I know that it must have been confronting for her and that she can't be in a good headspace. But I also feel that if she called me right now, I wouldn't be receptive to reinstigating the friendship. I have put up with far worse from people in the past but where I am at right now, I just feel like I don't need that kind of negativity.

I think that I am less inclined to take this kind of rubbish now and I feel the sleeve is partly to thank for that. It's not that I think I deserved that behaviour before but more that I made allowances for people that I am just not inclined to do now.

In happier news, I am off to the Goldie for 8 fun-filled days today :) I have my swimmers packed so I can take my little fellow swimming (we're staying at seaworld for four days and then at the hilton at surfers the other days). I can go on the rides. I might even go swim with the dolphins lol. Things are really good at the moment and I can't believe what a massive difference there has been in my life in such a short time. I can't wait to see my surgeon so she can see what an incredible change she has brought to my life and so that I can thank her again.

I will be off the site while I am away (don't have VST on my phone) so I will look forward to catching up on the forum when I get back!

Cheers, Liss

We all love you too dean. And it is nice to have so many girls speak so frequently, some of us big, some of us skinny, but none of us back-stabbing, nasty or bitchy. I love this thread xxx

:) :)

Hi Everyone, I am celebrating the break of my latest stall AND reaching another milestone. I hit the scales this morning and am now 79.9kg. Finally broke through the 80's!!!!! For the newbies I was 107kg pre op, 102kg on day of op and now 7 months later I am 79.9kg. Doc's goal is 70kg, but I wish to get back into the 60's. Slowly, slowly I am getting there. It seems that the less often I weigh myself the more I lose and when I travel for work am and out of my usual routine, I also seem to lose more quickly. Very happy!!!! Playing golf today in a 'Day For Daniel' charity event. Have to wear something red. Had nothing that would fit me anymore so am borrowing a size 12 pair of white three quarter length pants and a red and white blouse from my trendy Mum. Good problem to have.

Just keep chipping away Kel. You already look fantastic. I can only imagine how great you'll look another 10 - 15 down. have a great day!