Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jon Benet Ramsay - over after 10 yrs??

Yoda

I am in NO way in favor of those kind of "kiddie beauty pagents" whatsoever. I think that is exploiting children, plain and simple. I'm wondering if some of the parents aren't trying to live out a fantasy at their kids expense, physically and emotionally. Just because she was 6 years old and looked like she was 25, doesn't mean she deserved to die, especially like she did. I have to agree w/tired old man and the others on this one, the DNA is the only solution. However, if there was DNA, then what were the results of the tests from the other "suspects"? One would assume that others were tested? I'm not following the story like some on this board, but I think that seems like a logical question?? Yes this moron that confessed is defininely a bonified NUTBALL, and then some, but that can be taken to either extreme of guilt or innocence. As far as background checks go, my husband had to pass a background check to work in a FACTORY here in Ohio! I find it hard to believe that in this day and age someone working in ANY VICINITY of kids doesn't have to have one! As a parent, if that is the case, this country is in worse shape than I thought!

I am in NO way in favor of those kind of "kiddie beauty pagents" whatsoever. I think that is exploiting children, plain and simple. I'm wondering if some of the parents aren't trying to live out a fantasy at their kids expense, physically and emotionally. Just because she was 6 years old and looked like she was 25, doesn't mean she deserved to die, especially like she did. I have to agree w/tired old man and the others on this one, the DNA is the only solution. However, if there was DNA, then what were the results of the tests from the other "suspects"? One would assume that others were tested? I'm not following the story like some on this board, but I think that seems like a logical question?? Yes this moron that confessed is defininely a bonified NUTBALL, and then some, but that can be taken to either extreme of guilt or innocence.
The DNA found on the child's body was not from any family member. That test was done many years ago. It did not rule out the possibility that a family member colluded with an accomplice.
As far as background checks go, my husband had to pass a background check to work in a FACTORY here in Ohio! I find it hard to believe that in this day and age someone working in ANY VICINITY of kids doesn't have to have one! As a parent, if that is the case, this country is in worse shape than I thought!
You, like many, are under the impression that you live in America. Actually you live in (one of) "The United States of America" and there is a big difference. Many people slept through civics while in school. Most laws are left up to the individual states. A few years ago, for example, one stated passed a bill (later vetoed by the governor) that set 10 year prison penalties for a particular action, while in another of these 50 states, the governor gave the highest award that state could bestow on an individual for doing 2300 times what the first state's law would have imposed jail time for.

My point:

A doctor can commit atrocities and after losing his license, he can move to another state.

A teacher can commit atrocities and after losing his license, he can move to another state.

A truck-driver can commit atrocities and after losing his license, he can move to another state.

Or as in the case of Catholic priests, and both public and private school teachers, the administrator can decide to keep the issue quiet an ship the offender "out of town".

I was blown away by the latest news. Like for many, this case has haunted me in many ways over the last 10 years. I hope, in fact, this guy Karr is the killer and it will be proven beyond any doubt (I understand they got DNA from evidence in 2003...and if it matches this guys' DNA...then it will pretty much be the forensic proof that is required). It will all be on Larry King Live tonight....so that show should explain a few things.

If he is the killer, it is too bad that Patsy passed away before knowing the truth.

It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out....at what (if any) prior relationship this guy had with the family. I know, I, for one, will easily admit that I have strongly suspected the family (one or both parents) for the longest time.

Patsy Ramsey did get to read his letters before she died. So she died with peace of mind. But I don't buy that this guy did it, I think he is looking for fame (or to be infamous) The story doesn't pan out....and he was obsessed with media that reported child aobduction and murder...he was a loner...I think its just a ploy to get attention.

The DNA found on the child's body was not from any family member. That test was done many years ago. It did not rule out the possibility that a family member colluded with an accomplice.

You, like many, are under the impression that you live in America. Actually you live in (one of) "The United States of America" and there is a big difference. Many people slept through civics while in school. Most laws are left up to the individual states. A few years ago, for example, one stated passed a bill (later vetoed by the governor) that set 10 year prison penalties for a particular action, while in another of these 50 states, the governor gave the highest award that state could bestow on an individual for doing 2300 times what the first state's law would have imposed jail time for.

My point:

A doctor can commit atrocities and after losing his license, he can move to another state.

A teacher can commit atrocities and after losing his license, he can move to another state.

A truck-driver can commit atrocities and after losing his license, he can move to another state.

Or as in the case of Catholic priests, and both public and private school teachers, the administrator can decide to keep the issue quiet an ship the offender "out of town".

I didn't sleep through civics!! And while these offenders (mentioned above) can move to another state......it doesn't mean that they can hold the same professional position they held in the state they came from. Teachers for example...get finger printed and checked by the FBI, so its not as easy as you think to commit a crime and then just set up shop in another state.:)

Just to clarify my earlier post.... I don't think there is anything wrong with little girls playing dress up. The problem that I have is the parents who make them up like 25 year old complete with low cut tops and heels. I saw a documentary (can't remember what channel) a few years ago about kiddie beauty pagents and some parents were putting stuffed bras on 5 year olds! I think that's just sick. I in no way shape or form think that little JonBenet deserved to die because of how her mommy portrayed her to the world. I think the whole thing is just so sad.... it makes my heart hurt to think of what that poor little thing went through.

I don't think it was him. I think hes looking for his 10 minutes in the spotlight. Its too convenient. No one knew him.

If there is a God and Heaven, then I would imagine that JonBenet is there and I hope her mother is also there for a reunion.

But, I doubt that any news of finding the killer or even a conviction which might include capital punishment is going to fill the void left in the hearts of the family (assuming they were totally innocent of any collusion or complicity in the tragic murder). The mother, I doubt went to her grace happily, at least not on the account of the letter in question.

Teachers for example...get finger printed and checked by the FBI, so its not as easy as you think to commit a crime and then just set up shop in another state.:)
But does the state the teacher moved to check the FBI database before granting a teacher's license?

When I lived in NY, a doctor killed 3 women through botched surgery (not bariactric) and after losing his license in NYS, he moved to New Jersey. It came out when he killed a couple of women in Jersey that he had previously killed in NY. Connecticut refused him a license because it was fresh in the papers when he applied for a license in that state, but there was nothing legally to stop them from granting the doctor a new license to kill.

TOM

PS: Bettina, I did not accuse you of dozing during civics, but many did.

Patience, people. The DNA results will be the turning point. If it matches, it doesn't matter how weird this guy is - he's the killer.

His background reeks of strange behavior and disturbing acts. I think the authorities did the right thing by arresting him on the second day of his job as a 2nd grade teacher. If you have to take a chance, err on the side of protecting innocent children. At the very least, the guy needs psychiatric help and definitely has NO business around 6 year-olds.

But does the state the teacher moved to check the FBI database before granting a teacher's license?

In Karr's case, he was never a certified teacher. He only applied for substitute positions. Substitute teaching is like day labor -- anyone can walk off the street and get hired.

I was a substitute while in college working on my English education degree. You just have to be breathing to be a sub.

WHAT I hope this will do is send alarm bells off in all school systems to put up safe guards for hiring substitute teachers.

It came out when he killed a couple of women in Jersey that he had previously killed in NY.

So, TOM, did some of us also sleep thru English Comp, as well?

In Karr's case, he was never a certified teacher. He only applied for substitute positions. Substitute teaching is like day labor -- anyone can walk off the street and get hired.

I was a substitute while in college working on my English education degree. You just have to be breathing to be a sub.

I don't know where you live, but this is absolutely NOT true in the state of Texas. Until a few years ago, you could sub if you had at least 60 hours of college. Now you have to either be a student teacher, or have earned a 4 year degree. My DIL is a Kindergarten teacher's aid and she isn't allowed to sub for her own class because she only has a 2 year degree (in Early Childhood Education). But if you had a degree in Computer Science, or Architecture, you could sub in that class. The world as we know it is sorely lacking in common sense.

So, TOM, did some of us also sleep thru English Comp, as well?
Ok, I left out a comma and constructed my sentence poorly.

I should have wrote: "The story of the deaths in NY only surfaced when the news of him killing a couple of women in Jersey made the news."

or at least:

"It came out, when he killed a couple of women in Jersey, that he had previously killed in NY."

I don't know where you live, but this is absolutely NOT true in the state of Texas. Until a few years ago, you could sub if you had at least 60 hours of college. Now you have to either be a student teacher, or have earned a 4 year degree. My DIL is a Kindergarten teacher's aid and she isn't allowed to sub for her own class because she only has a 2 year degree (in Early Childhood Education). But if you had a degree in Computer Science, or Architecture, you could sub in that class. The world as we know it is sorely lacking in common sense.
As I said, we do not live in America. We each live in (one of) "The United States of America. Each state has it's own laws and regulations.