Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I Want Surgery Or Food?

I am pre op was 3 pounds to go before I need my case manager.

Kaisers pre op food plan only includes foods I will be allowed to eat post op, therefore giving me and my body a chance to adjust.

The last 2 days my 1200 calorie diet is not adequate.

It is not staving off my hunger or craving for carbohydrates.

I am sticking to the plan but eating more of the prescribed foods I am allotted. The exception is Sugar Free Chocolate bars

I have only been on the pre op diet for 3 weeks and already I can't bear the thought of 3 servings of Protein in the morning. I confess I sort of miss the highs and lows created by carbohydrate overload and resulting in of a blood sugar crash in.which I end up falling asleep.

Wow, that is a personal secret the way I have used it as a drug.

I hope you can relate.

I know post up when I feel restriction I won't feel as hungry but today I am doubting my ability to move forward and give up :

Drinking liquid with my meal s

Gobbling a mini scone when I am hungry

Foregoing club soda

And heating anything substantial the first 3 months post op

Would love to hear your experience with these or other related issues

Hey, so for what it's worth, surgery does NOT mean giving up food. I struggled with some of the same issues, and the pre op was really hard, but I am able to tolerate small quantities of liquid with meals, small amounts of club soda, etc. And I could even eat a mini-scone now and then, if I liked mini-scones. It is possible to do this as a lifestyle change, not as something where it puts foods on the "never again" list. It's just that a lot of things are now on the "occasionally, in tiny quantities" list, but the good thing is I only want/can fit tiny quantities.

Hang in there and ask lots of questions! This board is a great resource, and you'll find a variety of perspectives and experiences on all of these issues.

I am one-week post op. You must follow the post-op diet to be successful and not damage the surgery site as it takes time to heal. I won't say that I don't crave foods that I can't have, but I am not having hunger pains at all. In fact, I can't really believe how wonderful and filling that chicken broth and sugar-free Jello can be.

There are things that my family is eating that really look delicious to me right now, but I am not about to screw this up.... it wouldn't just be cheating but would be medically damaging at this point.

One day, I will be able to eat reasonable portions of the foods that I love.

As I have seen said many times before, "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels." There is no way that I would call this an easy process. Those that say that you are "cheating" by having this surgery must think that it's not difficult. ANYONE would lose weight following this structured diet. It is the reduced calorie amount that is causing the weight loss--- not that your smaller stomach makes you magically lose weight.

The surgery changes your hunger which will give help with your willpower to accomplish what you couldn't on dieting alone.

Don't give up! I almost backed out of the surgery myself because I kept thinking "i should be able to do this on my own", but I've never been able to. Now that I have had the surgery, I have the strength and willpower to stick with the plan.

Good luck!

I get the carb rush and crash. I really do. I used to go all day without eating, just running on coffee, coming home and having two servings of a nice Pasta and feeling so happy after. Or I'd get a huge nacho at lunch, crash mid day at he office. Order the plate of pancakes or French toast for weekend brunch and not get a damn thing done the rest of the day because I had no energy.

Now, I sleep better than ever before. I never get sick. I have more energy on most days than I know what to do with. I love exercise. I haven't had a headache in over three months other than some mild PMS related things that were a blip on the map). I'm happier and everyone notices. The first month was the hardest. I think I craved Pasta and Mexican food everyday. I knew I was in trouble when I started "sneaking" in a teaspoon of salsa just to taste it. But guess what? All that goes away. Now what I eat is my new normal and I'm loving it. And when my husband cooks a pasta for his pre-hockey dinner, I sneak a single bite. I eat it after I've had my pan seared scallops and veggies. When I'm at a friend's house for dinner and they make oatmeal choc chip Cookies, I eat 1/4-1/2 of one and I'm satisfied.

As for those other questions:

• Three servings of Protein in the morning? Never heard of this. In the first month, I had a Protein shake and maybe some SF Jello made with unflavored whey Protein. Now, at three months I have a very normal Breakfast of either Greek yogurt with some berries, eggs and turkey bacon, cottage cheese then a Protein Shake an hour or so later.
  • Drinking with meals. I thought I'd have a hard time with this, but it's actually been the easiest. I keep a glass of Water near me, but only for emergency. I'm too fearful of choking or needing to clear my throat. It's not that we CAN'T drink with the meal, it's that we shouldn't. But I had my doctor and nutritionist telling me that long before surgery. Soda bloats you, watery liquids (teas, juices) just dilute the stomach acids that are trying to break down foods for further absorption. Now, it's more like I know I won't be able to eat as much if I drink more -- I'll get too full too fast.
  • Foregoing club soda and the mini scone. Eh, they advise you don't drink carbonated drinks because the stomach is too sensitive the first few months. I would agree. But I had a sip of my husband's Orangina not long ago and nothing major happened. You don't really crave it. And I think after 3-6 months or so if you really want a non-calorie, non-sugar bubbly Water apart from a meal it would be fine. As for the scone, I see treating yourself to a few carbs/sugars here and there (like once a week) is OK. You won't be able to eat it comfortably for the first few months, but you also won't miss it. And if you do miss it, have a single bite. Get the taste without eating the whole thing.
  • Heating anything substantial in the first three months. WTH? I eat hot foods all the time and have since four weeks post op. And even when I was on liquids and mushies the first month, I heated Soups and the like up to the allowed 130 degrees (so protein could be added without clumping). I enjoy baked fish, steamed veggies, all kinds of chicken now. It's great!

I was exactly where you were in the months before my surgery. Very afriad at never enjoying the foods I loved again. But I know I will again one day, this time in much healthier portions. When I go home late this summer, I will enjoy hamburger night at my brother's -- but bunless and skip the fries. When Thanksgiving rolls around, I'll eat all the stuff but on a small plate. And my new smaller stomach will let me know when I'm full. I totally thought I was going to regret this in the first month post-op, but know I have to say I wish I'd done this years earlier. Best decision ever!!

I made sure I had my "Last Supers" with all my friends and family...LOL it really isn't like that at all. Yes for the first 2-3 weeks it is the toughest time, as it can take up to 30 days fro the grehlin hormone to exit your body....This is the hormone telling ourselves we are starving....

Well at 354#'s I was anything but starving. I went 3 weeks staying on the diet the doc suggested and I still have an egg and some cottage cheese or yogurt in the morning...but I find greek yogurt is better in a blueberry smoothie than anything else....so I do enjoy a smothie some mornings and use it as a desert to my dinners (the kids are thinking this is the coolest desert ever) little do they know they are healthy for them.

I in no way have given up food...I just eat a bite or 2 and call it good...We had a large BBQ at a friends the other day and I took 1 tsp of everything, couldn't even eat it all, but I started with the Proteins and moved to fruit and veggies then the potato salad. I make a cool fruit salad to take to potlucks and BBQ's that is great...

1/2 C vanilla Greek Yogurt

1/2 C Light Sour Cream

1T Coconut Extract

1 T vanilla Extract

2 Packets Trivia

1/2 chopped apple

1/2 C Blueberries

1/2 C Sliced Strawberries

1 babana sliced

Mix up all liquid ingredients to creamy and then add fruit and chill for 1 hour....it is awesome!

Any leftovers I take home and put in blender with some ice and you guessed it....smoothie for desert!

You can do both...I am! I eat whatever I want, just very small portions. I have been to dozens of restaurants since my surgery and have never went without...and still lose weight. I have even had alcohol, not much but I have. I fortunately am not much of a carb/sweets person so I may have a bit of an advantage but it can be done! Never say never, shouldnt even been in the vocabulary. Best of luck to you, it does work and you will do great!

I was able to handle hot and cold after the first week. Everyone is different.

Drinking with meals, this is still a bit hard... I have my drink with me and sometimes do need to take a tiny sip during eating...

Soda... I used to drink 3 or more cans a day... not really craving it... I asked about soda yesterday the biggest problems are caffeine makes you hungry and can irrate the stomach, the carbonation gives you empty fullness.

Cravings.... small taste will usually make it go away

I'm a food addict. I'm 2 months out of surgery and I have eaten every food I ate before surgery with the exception of sodas. Surgery does not mean giving up your favorite foods. What it does mean is that high calorie, fat, and sugar foods are an occasional treat instead of an every day occurrence. In terms of eating more than allowed, your smaller stomach will stop you from doing that in a way you can't stop yourself today. One big adjustment I've made is eating out less. I find that really helps after surgery. Instead of eating out 7 meals a week, I now try to only eat out 2 meals a week. I have started craving healthier foods because my mind really wants to succeed. I have tough days too, with poor choices and lots of head hunger, but for the most part I'm doing ok. I've lost 60 lbs in 2 months. Good luck to you.

I took myself out to lunch today and ordered a bunless cheeseburger with sweet potato fries. I actually ate about half the cheeseburger, the slices of Tomato, some pickle slices, and 3 of the fries. The cook came out and I ended up telling him that the food was delicious, but I just couldn't eat any more. I was so full, but that cheeseburger was SO good.

The point of that is that you can have ANY food you want after surgery. You just won't be able to eat as much. I'm pleasantly full and not in carb overload from my meal. I'm just now finishing my unsweet iced tea and it tastes divine as well.

93 pounds lost feels really good today, especially knowing that I can eat anything I want.

Oh, and for my appetizer and dessert, I had 7 flights of stairs on either side of my meal. Being able to walk up and down those stairs without pain is a MAJOR incentive for me! :)

Oh, and for my appetizer and dessert, I had 7 flights of stairs on either side of my meal. Being able to walk up and down those stairs without pain is a MAJOR incentive for me! :)

LOL what a way to look at stairs!!

Like Lissa, I am almost 90 lbs down and have enjoyed most of the foods I loved pre-op, just in reasonable quantities. For example, my food intake today:

B ~ 1 egg scramble with 1 oz diced ham, 1 sliced mushroom and 1/2 oz 2% shredded cheddar

morning snack ~ nonfat mocha latte (no whip) - this was an indulgence at 220 cals/43 carbs - but it did have 13 grams of protein!!

L ~ grilled chicken breast with spicy "wing" sauce and melted pepperjack cheese (I ate about half) and a few waffle fries

D ~ 3 mini homemade meatballs, about 1 oz of cooked angel hair Pasta, and about 1/4 cup Pasta Sauce with sliced mushrooms, onion & garlic

Overall I hit about 1200 calories, 125 grams of carbs (that's a lot for me - damn latte!), less than 50 grams of fat and 75 grams of Protein.