Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crabby And Sick Of This Post Op Diet

I'm 9 days out of surgery and my nut says only Protein Shakes and broth for three weeks after surgery. Nothing blended, no Jello, no yogurt, nothing but shakes and broth. I'm not even half way and I'm going to need an alibi because there will be bodies before these three weeks are up.

I'm going crazy!! Is there some way I can mix Protein powder and milk into something besides a Protein shake? :blink:

I'm confused as to why but he/she is your dr. So they know best. However I'm 8 days out. My dr said to listen to my body. Start on full liquid and go down. Im eating yoguart mash potatoes crm of wheat creamy Soups Popsicles along with protien shakes Isopure etc. I feel fine. I've been off of work since surgery and go back Monday. I think I'll end up doing like 1/2 or3/4 days. I've been resting resting resting. Sipping sipping sipping. I know this did not answer your question but I'm not sure why your diet is so stiff. Sorry:(

I'm 10 days off and I had been able to eat like 2-3 ounces of chicken and fish with not a problem- I don't know if I'm doing it right but im doing it - at least one of the meals in the day- preferably at lunch - just don't full yourself

I was on clears for 10 days, full liquids for 10 days (that's almost 3 weeks) and then to mushies. I too am not sure why your post-op diet is so strict. I doubt it would hurt you to start cream Soups and things like that. I think as long as you can pull it through a straw, you should be OK. Thinking back now, I can hardly remember what it was like those first few weeks post-op. Try to distract yourself with whatever you can find, reading, gardening, whatever you like to do. I work full time and went back after one week, so I really didn't have time to fret over it. Everyone at work knew about my surgery and they were all very supportive and encouraging. I hope this post-op time passes quickly for you. Before you realize, it will be a distant memory and worth the trouble. Chin up!! :) Kathe

Thanks for your replies! I bought some Soup and strained out the solids - it was beyond delicious to my poor deprived tummy. Three weeks of Protein shakes then three weeks of mushies. chicken seems so far away!

You're right, though, Kathe, I'll look back at this and forget how hard it was. It's just I'm not even half way through the first three week restrictions and people who had surgery after me are eating things I'm not allowed for another month. Guess I should have asked more questions when I was picking my surgeon!

And now it's the weekend and all my family does is eat, eat, eat...

It's interesting about the different points of view the surgeons all have. I know that I did my nutrition at Kaiser for 12 weeks and they gave us 3 weeks of liquids, 3 weeks of purred, 3 weeks of mushies and then semi solids. Now the surgeon gave a diet that allowed sf pudding, yougurt and Jello in the liquid stage. So Iadfed those to my diet. It savede. ;)

Salads were HARD for me. I had a ton of trouble with fibrous veggies and lettuce was impossible until something closer to five or six months out. Everyone is different, though! I say start very small with veggies and also with Pasta, rice and tortillas...those are still my trouble foods, even at 21 months out.

As for the post op diet, I had Dr. Aceves and spent weeks on liquids after surgery. I wasn't hungry at all but boy, I was MEAN and grouchy and tired all the time. At the end I just wanted to chew something despite having no appetite. It stinks but it's just a tiny bit of time before you'll be here complaining that you can't get enough calories because you can only fit in two or three bites of food at a time!

Hang in there. Post op diets do vary but you trusted your doc to slice you open, so you should trust his judgement on what you should be eating afterward.

~Cheri

I can relate. I'm 8 days post op and today I hit a wall. I can't say I felt that hungry, but I had no energy at all. I knew I needed to boost my carb intake. So, even though I'm not supposed to start on mushies till the 14th day, I broke down and pureed 1/3 cup of pork and Beans. It went down very well and I felt better immediately. I'm going to try to stick to the diet until day 14, but if I get like this again, I know what I can do now to fix it. And yes, until I had those beans, I was grouchy as an old bear with a sore butt.

I am very much feeling like that sore butted bear. I get mushies next Tuesday and I'm planning a buffet of three bites of real food!!

Kind of wish I could move into a cave and just live by myself the next week. I'm constantly preparing food for my four kids and hubby and I don't mind the meals so much, but their Snacks make me insane. No hunger, like you guys mentioned, but these Protein shakes blow.

Thanks for the support everyone! Only a week until I have something new to complain about. :D

Thats a long time for liquids- but ya gotta do what ya gotta do- right?

Try adding Torani SF syrups (the kind they flavor coffee with), extracts or SF Jello to your shakes to make the flavors more diverse and better.

I strained the heck out of any Soup I could get my hands on.... miso, chicken and I loooooved vegetable beef. I even ordered take out egg drop and hot/sour and strained that!

Hope that helps- I was in HEAVEN the day I was allowed mushies!

I am three weeks out tomarrow per my doc I was to do do clears for a week full for a week and purée for 4 weeks. I have been eating small amount of soft foods and have not had any prob I have had many different things and nothing seems to bother my sleeve. Hope this helps not trying to steer u off the right path

I would like to add a thought from our dear friends at Wikipedia:

"A liquid diet is also used as a torture technique."

Amen.

A friend of mine who is a 2 year RNY post-op said to me: "No one enjoys the liquid diet...they simply survive it. If they're lucky."

I really feel for ya! i've never heard of anyone being on liquids for that long. and no sf Jello? that's a clear liquid! it seems you are strong, though, and will make it through this. think about the weight you will lose. i saw somewhere that "life starts at the end of your comfort zone". we will all be stronger in the end...and sexier!! :)

So the Torani Syrup - I have lots of those! You think mix like a sugar free caramel into a vanilla Protein shake would be good? I'm definitely trying the strained hot/sour Soup. Love that soup. Great idea.

This definitely feels like torture. I would give up all my secrets for a bite of soft scrambled egg!

My surgeon is super strict with the diet plan, it even says in bold: NO Jello, NO CREAMED Soups, NOTHING BLENDERIZED, NO YOGURT

Part of me wonders if he really expects people to follow the plan? I mean, if he says three weeks and we all try but fail at two weeks, maybe that's what he expects of us. Haha - those are my tastebuds typing.

Watch out Sexy - here I come! Unless I fall asleep on the way from lack of energy....