Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Already Sexy.. Should I Get The Surgery?

I have been through every emotion in the past 8 months when I started getting ready for this surgery. The only thing that has remained is the fact that I think for the most part I have very positve self image. I already think I am like one of the sexiest people on earth. lol. Well maybe not on Earth- but I think I have a curvacious body and I am afraid I will not like the skinny me.

I do think my husband will love me either way... but besides health and sometimes feeling like the fat girl I am really scared I will hate a me that is smaller than a size 12. I mean honestly I may be 244 pounds in a very TIGHT size18 and probably will only get back heavier like I was before... but atleast my skin is tight and I look healthy. WIll I look sick with loose skin flapping all around? Will my long beautiful hair think out and lack luster? ((sigh))

SORRY I know I am going on and on... but is anybody in the same boat?

I am 280 in a 5'5 body. You could ask any of my friends, family and myself, I am a very confident person. I truly love myself. I don't have self image problems more then skinny Jean next door. I also am very healthy. The only thing that my weight causes is heartburn now and again. I personally am getting it because how many heavy older people do u see in nursing homes. How many 80 and older heavy people do u see? Not a lot. If we continue on a road like we r it will have major consequences. I personally don't want to miss the sleeve bus and regret it. If u feel good about urself now imagine how u will feel when u and ur husband can do more 'naughty' things because you don't weight as much :) I have talked to a lot of people and some that have weighed over 300 hardly had any loose skin and looks amazing. U need to make the best decision for u. It took me 2 years to come to mine. Good luck...if u do decide to do surgery ill save ya a seat on the looser bench and I want to hear how u r doing ;)

I totally understand what you are saying. I have decided to get the sleeve, but only because I know that my health outweighs my vanity. I am 5'10 314, with a very shapely body and a small stomach. No one ever thinks that I am over 300lbs, and not many feel my pain of being over 300lbs.

I tore my achilles tendon in November and have heel spurs, knee and back pain. I cannot climb more than 2 flights without losing my breath and feeling lightheaded. I can no longer wear high heels for longer than 10 minutes without feeling immense pain. I don't like dancing anymore because I start sweating profusely (which my doctor claims is due to my weight). My father had diabetes before dying and my mother has high blood pressure and cholesterol in additon to severe arthritis.

BUT I AM SEXY AS HELL! LOL

Not going to get into it much, but I have been to nude beaches and nudist resorts and have no problem being nude. I see a beautiful woman that has some "slight" imperfections in my mirror each morning. I am worried that my skin and breasts will sag and that I will hate looking at myself. I worry that my slight insecurities will turn into major insecurities preventing me from being happy and thus sabotoging my journey. I will be paying out of my pocket and worry that I will not have the funds available in 2-3 years to have plasitc surgery.

I am having the surgery - my mind is made up. My health is more important especially since I have 2 children that depends on me to be there. Write it down, what you feel are the advantages and disadvantages of the surgery. I know you will make the right decision for yourself.

Thank God for this website. I really needed to hear that. I too go to nude beaches and am very comfortable with the look of my body. But prayerfully I won;'t have sagging skin and if I do I will get the money for plastic surgery somehow!

And also about the 300 pounds and 80?.... I probably won;t see 65 going at the rate I am going. The image thing is the last thing I need to get over thanks for the support!

@LezieLez.... when are you getting the surgery?

Yes, looking sexy has nothing to with the underlying factors of being overweight. Obesity is kiilling us and our children, I decided to get the surgery at 248 the heaviest in my life because I needed to do something. Now I am 198 lbs size 7/8 sexy as heck but almost 200lbs is still unhealthy so I will lose 30-40 more lbs. Good luck.

My insurance plan with the company I work for changed at the beginning of the year and it now excludes wls. I was in month 5 of my 6 month pre-op diet and planning on a March sleeve. Now I have to pay out of pocket and am debating on going for a loan and trying for May/June or waiting until next year (tax return) and paying cash.

The only thing is that the loan would be for $8500 vs paying $5000 out of pocket a few months later. I am just anxious and impatient - I want to be on the losers bench now!

That is terrible! I went through the same scare at the beginning of the year thinking I wasn't going to be covered. I know it must have really sucked to be in this position after that much work. I hopw that you find a way to get the money up soon. Honestly, if I were you I'd get the loan and get it over with already.

I was thinking about that too! I am driving myself crazy, and lately have had some depressed moments where the only thing that calmed me was "Coldstone Creamery Therapy". However, I am an analyst and my job is to save our clients money so I am constantly looking at the financial aspect.

BeLiteWeight is charging $8500 with $3500 down. I will have the $3500 in June. Two other surgeons are charging $5000 with no financing. Paying an additional $1500 is far more attractive than paying $5000 plus interest. I will let you know what I decide.

I get it. Totally get it. And I admire your self confidence! My husband, bless him, tells me I'm beautiful and sexy every single day. But I don't want to be beautiful and sexy with high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease or worse in a casket. Now that this is actually a reality rather than just a possibility, I've definitely thought about the vanity part. Trading in my "cushion" for loose skin, losing my boobs, looking like a bobble head (I have a big ass head LOL). But really, if all of that happens it's worth it for me to be around to be a grandma for my daughters' children, to have a long loving marriage with my best friend, and to check off all the things on my list if "things I'll do when I'm normal-sized".

Ladies... I am in awe of your confidence and self image... mine is sh*t!! Please, balls to the weight loss, tell me how to get that confidence in myself!! Seriously I am in awe!! x

I was thinking about that too! I am driving myself crazy, and lately have had some depressed moments where the only thing that calmed me was "Coldstone Creamery Therapy". However, I am an analyst and my job is to save our clients money so I am constantly looking at the financial aspect.

BeLiteWeight is charging $8500 with $3500 down. I will have the $3500 in June. Two other surgeons are charging $5000 with no financing. Paying an additional $1500 is far more attractive than paying $5000 plus interest. I will let you know what I decide.

I can promise you, along with others on the boards, that you wont be disappointed with Dr. Rodriguez or the Star Medica Hospital! Good luck with your journey!!! It is sooo worth every penny no matter who you go with!!!! :)

If anything, I think it's great that you have such a positive self-image! I think it will save you from all kinds of unrealistic expectations and the disappointment that comes with them (and unnecessary plastic surgery!). Also, you will not lose your overall shape.....if you are an hourglass or pear now, you will still tend towards that bodyshape after losing weight, so you won't look like a teenage boy.

I too, have crazy self confidence. I have never felt unattractive or like I am "fat" really. I have always been extremely happy with my body. I wear skinnies, I wear heels, I wear whatever and feel good in it!

I did this surgery not to become skinny, but to become healthy. I knew that I wasn't going to stop gaining and who knows where it would have ended or how bad I could have gotten.

Honestly, I don't plan on getting to a size 4 or even a 6. I would be content with a 10 or 12, I feel great at a 20 already. :)