Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Friends will try and sabatoge you offer you sweets and all kinds of stuff you can't have they don't respect your sleeve....... Some don't want you to lose weight cuz then you will be smaller than them.......

Sent from my iPhone using VST

You know the ols saying, you can pick your friends...not your family????? Well, I finally told my (very thin) sister i was having the sleeve done. And she says point blank-"you will still be fat. your always chunky". Very motivating, huh? This is why I normally steer clear of her!!!

You know the ols saying, you can pick your friends...not your family????? Well, I finally told my (very thin) sister i was having the sleeve done. And she says point blank-"you will still be fat. your always chunky". Very motivating, huh? This is why I normally steer clear of her!!!

I am violent towards relatives because they seem to always know how to push my buttons... I think I would have dropped kicked her if my sister would have said some crazy mess like that. Terrible...

But Andkel you are so right. Most of my friends are smaller than me (although not skinny) and I know that they will have issues.... but I know how to curse a ***** out and defriend (is that a word lol) real quick... NO PROBLEM

I just told my sister I got my sleeve two weeks ago. She is visiting me for the first time in 2 years. Things aren't going well. I started back to work this week, I'm okay but tired and a little too emotional. Last night I had 1\4 of a drink, doc said I could, my side hurt so I stopped drinking, couldn't even take in Water. I was worried someone would hit my not yet heeled, sometimes still ache inscisions,e at the club so I wanted to go home, plus I was tired. She's mad at me and I feel bad she even came, but I love her and want to spend time with her.

Family members are the hardest people to understand or make understand.

Your sister should be hog tied for that remark. I am so sorry she said that to you. YOU will not be fat you will be happy, healthy, and even more beautiful then yo already are. You are doing this for you not anyone else.

My husband says I'm eating to much my sister says I'm not eating enough my kids think I'm crazy for having it done.

Now I just listen to myself and my God I don't need any nay sayers in my corner and when they try to get me to eat the wrong things I just tell them to back off I can do bad all by myself and don't need any help in that area, but thank you anyway.

Family members are the hardest people to understand or make understand.

Your sister should be hog tied for that remark. I am so sorry she said that to you. YOU will not be fat you will be happy, healthy, and even more beautiful then yo already are. You are doing this for you not anyone else.

My husband says I'm eating to much my sister says I'm not eating enough my kids think I'm crazy for having it done.

Now I just listen to myself and my God I don't need any nay sayers in my corner and when they try to get me to eat the wrong things I just tell them to back off I can do bad all by myself and don't need any help in that area, but thank you anyway.

Beautifully put. Family and food: Such a tangled web.

Right now I can just look at them and say - Thankfully I don't have any need or want for that stuff anymore. God bless and eat your hearts out! :D

Hi Andkel! How's everything going? Yes, I've already had a few incidences of people trying to sabotage me, or expressing jealousy. One girl even told me, "The more weight you lose, the more I'm gonna hate you". I didn't know how to respond. She said it in a joking way, but I know there was some honesty in the comment.

Sounds like my wife saying " if you cheat on me I am going to tie you up and force feed you to make you fat again". My wifes so lovely ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! That's awesome. :lol:

Friends will try and sabatoge you offer you sweets and all kinds of stuff you can't have they don't respect your sleeve....... Some don't want you to lose weight cuz then you will be smaller than them....... Sent from my iPhone using VST

HA! Tell them "RESPECT THE SLEEVE!!!" I like it!!

I learned a long time ago that I had to be the one to say NO because even though my friends at work know I am trying to eat healthy there is always some office celebration going on or someone bringing in food for us. People equate food with love and caring so their heart is in the right place but many of us pay the price for all this "love". My closest office staff don't push me, they know I'm trying. My mantra for the last year or so when someone brings in a dessert or sweet: "Let me smell it". I smell whatever it is and that is my treat and I am fine to walk away. A few times I have said just let me have one bite and so I eat that bite very slowly. Maybe the small amounts and eating slowly was practice for my new lifestyle although the cake would not be a good source of Protein nutrition. My date is 5 weeks and 2 days....seems like a life time.

I don't have the negative reaction from people, but I haven't really told family mainly because I had a family member have serious complications about 6 years ago from GB surgery and so when I brought up that I was considering lapband it did not go over well with my kids. Since then I have zipped it and realize that they don't need the stress of worrying about it. Once I have the surgery, I will tell them and anyone else who wants to know. I figure if someone else is inspired by my success than I want them to know, maybe it will help them to make a decision to change.

As open as I have been about telling people I have the sleeve, I lied by butt off and told them that I was physically unable to eat breads & sweets... it would make me vomit. No one offers me anything anymore. LOL.

Capt Derel, Good to see a picture of you! :)

I ate Easter dinner at my aunt's last weekend...and I planned it so that I could eat what I wanted. Holidays are one day where I don't worry about Protein or about whether or not something is going to fit into my eating plan. I had some turkey, ham, a devilled egg, a bite of sweet potatoes, green Beans, and mashed taters, and much later a little bit of cheese cake for dessert. I was SO full afterwards that I walked around the block to help things go on through.

One of my other aunts made a comment about not wanting to be so restricted that she was forced to eat a single bite of each thing, then walk it off. I thought that was insane because I had plenty of food. I actually stood in the kitchen to eat and watched what everyone else put on their plates and ATE. My thoughts were "No wonder we're all fat!"

A cousin made my mom's recipe for carrot cake and was (I heard later) offended that I didn't eat any of that. So, let me get this straight, now I'm offending you because I DIDN'T eat something? @@

It's a never-ending circle and some people will be offended no matter what we do. We have to make the choices that fit our lives and our sleeves.

The upside is that apparently I was THE topic of conversation whenever I was not in earshot. Everyone is speculating on whether I'll actually "get skinny" and how long it will take me to gain it back. But, for the first time ever, I was smaller than all my aunts and all but one (very young) cousin. :)

Oh boy do I feel ya on this! I have had to not tell some family members and friends because it would get back to my mother, and if she finds out I had surgery she will drive me bananas. Because I'm the eldest and we look alike, she's always treated me more like a younger sister that she's extremely jealous of. The only time she doesn't pick on me are when I'm as heavy as she is. It will be bad enough when she sees me lose weight, but if she discovers I had a procedure for it, I can't imagine the venom that will spew forth. Shoot, just getting my hair cut short prompted barbs like " well, you're just going to get fat and look like a triangle." My dad is undegoing cancer tx at the moment and I cannot have her stressing him out or cutting me out of the picture when he needs his family.

Sent from my iPad using VST